August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
More random advice ...

Tolls in Maryland just went up. $8 on I-95 (north-bound only) in NE MD. $4 each way on the Fort McHenry I-95 tunnel. You can take I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) from I-95 to I-70 to avoid the latter.

Keep an eye out for dinosaurs when you are forced to make a left turn at a light on 340 S in Virginia.

I drove some of your route down to Skyland in the Park early this spring. Had a nice lunch at Ledo Pizza in the Crooked Run shopping center (look for the Target) just north of Front Royal and I-66 on 340.

The park entrance will be on the left side of US-340 S after you pass through handsome old downtown in Front Royal and the road gets divided by a median.

Shenandoah Park entrance fee is $10 but good for a week, so keep your receipt if you come home on Skyline Drive.

Mind your speed in the park and keep an eye out for Park Rangers' white Suburbans on the roadside.

If you get bored of Skyline Drive when heading north, and want to make better time, bail onto the twisty US-211 down the mountain towards Luray and take US-340 up the valley to Front Royal.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I checked on the rooms, all rooms have two beds. So, 92Bit, we are glad to have you along. If you can find someone else to come with you, or if another forum member pops in and says they want to join it would cut down on the cost of a room for you. lghtmgr, Ohendo, gottherim4, and I will be splitting two rooms.

I posted the website link for the hotels, but if you need the contact info let me know.

I will look at where we can meet in Frederick, or just outside thereof, and will make a post!

SO excited! :rockon:

OK, got the go ahead from my bosses. Just want to make sure I have the right hotels before I go calling and making reservations. Its the Buena Vista Hotel on the 16th and Mineral Springs Motel on the 17th, correct me if I'm wrong. Can't wait! :D

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, got the go ahead from my bosses. Just want to make sure I have the right hotels before I go calling and making reservations. Its the Buena Vista Hotel on the 16th and Mineral Springs Motel on the 17th, correct me if I'm wrong. Can't wait! :D

Yes, that is correct.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep still in. Reservations taken care of. Where did you want me to meet up with you guys? I am still up for meeting near Frederick or just meet up with the others at Front Royal (or anywhere in between). Who is coming from where? I gather that two are coming from Philly area, and two others are joining up at Front Royal. BTW, I'll PM BamBam my cell #.

On another note, I still need to decide if I am going to invest in saddle bags or stick with the fairly small tail bag and backpack I'm using now. Do any of you guys use saddle bags that strap under the tail (crossing the exhaust)? I was about ready to purchase a cheap set for like $15, then I realized The strap might melt. I have CF Leo cans, so they don't get terribly hot, but it still worries me. I'm thinking now I might just get a larger tail bag that can hold everything. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you are correct, two of us from Philly area, meeting up with the other two and you. I'll let BamBam chime in on where to meet up with you.

I use cheap saddle bags that strap under the exhaust; however, I still have my stock exhaust, so the plastic guard never allows the straps to feel any heat. Can't say for sure about the heat on your exhaust.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
So excited! I finally received my GPS and mount so everything is set to go. I do have a saddlebag and tankbag set up. I wil take a picture of my set up. and post it.

In terms of meeting up, it is probably best if we just meet in Front Royal. If we all want to share cell phone numbers via PM that would be helpful when the time comes.

Ohendo, how do you feel about avoiding some tolls on the way there? Maybe we meet a little earlier so we can go around some of that?? Let me know.

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So excited! I finally received my GPS and mount so everything is set to go. I do have a saddlebag and tankbag set up. I wil take a picture of my set up. and post it.

In terms of meeting up, it is probably best if we just meet in Front Royal. If we all want to share cell phone numbers via PM that would be helpful when the time comes.

Ohendo, how do you feel about avoiding some tolls on the way there? Maybe we meet a little earlier so we can go around some of that?? Let me know.

Sounds good to me... Going South the only toll to avoid is Delaware's $4, as Md only charges their outrageous $8 on the Northbound side. That being said, I have relatives in DC and NorVirgina, and I take the back roads (ie, PA Route 1) on the way down and on the way back North. A lot more scenic, doesn't save or cost any time vs highway, saves $4 going South. Going North it saves $12.

So if we were to take Route 1, which is the best choice besides 95, we would want to change our meeting point, and maybe the meetup time. The area where PA Rt 1 intersects 202 is just 10-15 minutes from your original proposed spot. Where exactly are you coming from? Would that be convenient?

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, this is what I was thinking.

There is an Acme off 202, this might be better, and then 95 with a few detours around the tolls. It will take around 4 hours with this route. So, we might need to leave by 8am, so meet up around 0745am.

And, on second thought 92Bit, it might be nice to meet up with you at this location. near 340 and 17 at a Sheetz gas station. What do you think? It will give Ohendo and I a breather before continuing.

We would be arriving at that Gas station around 1030am.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

There is an Acme off 202, this might be better, and then 95 with a few detours around the tolls. It will take around 4 hours with this route. So, we might need to leave by 8am, so meet up around 0745am.

And, on second thought 92Bit, it might be nice to meet up with you at this location. near 340 and 17 at a Sheetz gas station. What do you think? It will give Ohendo and I a breather before continuing.

I can't click on your route link at work, for some reason our proxy server is disallowing it. Weird. Tried it on my phone and I just get the detailed directions from Philly to Front Royal, including the tolls on 95. Is the Acme you're referring to at 202 and 926?

And I like the idea of meeting 92Bit at that spot. It's a good 45 miles from there to Front Royal, and I agree that it'll be a nice pit stop after our high speed run from Philly.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Nevermind, figured it out. You're jumping over to 896 to avoid the toll booth on 95, then jumping right back on. Works for me. Not sure where the Acme is on 202 you mentioned, must be on 202 near the Concord Mall but for some reason I can't picture it. Send me the address and I'll be there at 7:45.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't click on your route link at work, for some reason our proxy server is disallowing it. Weird. Tried it on my phone and I just get the detailed directions from Philly to Front Royal, including the tolls on 95. Is the Acme you're referring to at 202 and 926?

And I like the idea of meeting 92Bit at that spot. It's a good 45 miles from there to Front Royal, and I agree that it'll be a nice pit stop after our high speed run from Philly.

Actually what I did was just put in the different waypoints and stopping points and tell Google to route it without Tolls, so some of it is on 95 and then it jogs off to avoid some tolls, or so it seems.

The Acme off 202 that I'm thinking of is in Delaware near 95.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site

That works for me. I won't even have to get up before 8, like an actual vacation or something.:thumbup:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a similar setup. Contemplated using my top case also, but won't need the extra room.

eqa3ede6.jpg

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my setup. I also have a small tank bag that is not in the picture. The tail bag is roomy, but it will be packed tight!