August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
DUDES!! it just wasnt the same. RT 250 was pretty good not too many hair pins but some of the switch backs were pretty cool, but it was very wet!
If it would of stayed dry it would been another notch on the handle, because we would have killed it!!! :eek:

I Hope everyone has arrived at their destinations safe today...Tryst and I landed safely.
With the rain and the PETIT ROCK dust she looks like someone chased her out the the mud bath and didnt let her rinse off, Going to have to find a hose and show her some love. Posted the train dolly pictures on the prevoius post.

Great Time guys, nice meeting and riding with everyone. JC>
:rockon::Sport:

Glad you made it safely! I am home safe and sound. And ditto on everything you said. A fantastic trip. I will try and post some youtube videos of the ride soon. Great to meet everyone.

Now we have to start planning for next year!!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now we have to start planning for next year!!

I'm in.

Awesome weekend, great to meet all of you. One word sums up the experience of thrashing those unbelievable Virginia and WV roads with you gentlemen: EPIC!

Now I need to go order an Air Hawk pronto...My arse is killin' me!
ybagy8e2.jpg

meneryvy.jpg

me4umuga.jpg

ry9e4azu.jpg

u7ynuje6.jpg

maqymuba.jpg

Last edited:

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a great time. You all are great riders, I was really impressed. Ben, I liked the planned route, too bad the rain caused us to change plans Sunday. I am posting the best (and most of) the pictures I took. The last three are right after the "off-roading" leg on saturday. :) I am in for any future trips next year!

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^ +1 that.

I've been a fly on the wall for this thread. I'm glad you guys had a great trip, and a safe one. This is right my area, since I live near Afton, VA, and I'd likely be interested next year. Need a bit more saddle time before I do any serious twisties. My riding skills are probably the rough equivalent of bowling with two hands, as of now. :rof:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
^ +1 that.

I've been a fly on the wall for this thread. I'm glad you guys had a great trip, and a safe one. This is right my area, since I live near Afton, VA, and I'd likely be interested next year. Need a bit more saddle time before I do any serious twisties. My riding skills are probably the rough equivalent of bowling with two hands, as of now. :rof:

I'm sure you would have been fine. We all rode to our own ability and no one fell behind at all. I would also say that we all improved our skills just by riding with one another. That was a bonus I wasn't expecting.

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in.

Awesome weekend, great to meet all of you. One word sums up the experience of thrashing those unbelievable Virginia and WV roads with you gentlemen: EPIC!

Now I need to go order an Air Hawk pronto...My arse is killin' me!
]

Yes a great weekend the rest of the week kind of sucked with all the rain, Finally got tired of getting wet and heading straight for home. 700 miles, 4 fill ups, 2 chain lubes, 4 thunder storms and 2 Fl Summer Monsoons and made it safely.

I did make the dragon tail run from the north, entire 11 miles is 30 MPH.
Was wet and really didn't push it really hard but it was still good.
I only made the one run due to the weather, but it would be a good run dry. Someone marked right on the pavement "SLO" where the turns tighten up really hard as a warning; I appreciated it being it was wet.

I too am "IN" next run.... and my arse was killing me also.
Even stopped at a couple of Harley dealers to see if I could pick up their version of the air hawk but none had stock. Guess they all are ordered in when purchased. I like the idea of having a bulb to adjust up on the fly.
Going to see if one of the big dealer here have one to check out and see how it fits.

Road Zeppelin Rider Seat Pad-52000084 | Rider Seats | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Came upon this after a rain, Right around the curve another Yikes sign.

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made it back safely, John. Too bad about the Dragon being wet, and all that rain you had to drive home through! We got pretty lucky on our high speed run home, only brief light rain.

See ya next year!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted an unedited version of it on the video section. But I can't find a good video editing software to edit and add sound and whatnot.

Anyone have any ideas?

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Gentlemen! Its been a long winter. I would love to take part in another trip(s) with you all this summer. VA, MD, PA, anywhere sounds good to me. I hope you all and your fz6s are doing well after the cold and snowy winter we had. -Anthony

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gentlemen! Its been a long winter. I would love to take part in another trip(s) with you all this summer. VA, MD, PA, anywhere sounds good to me. I hope you all and your fz6s are doing well after the cold and snowy winter we had. -Anthony

Agreed! Helluva long winter. Longest stretch I'd gone without riding in years. I'm definitely up for another ride...I still have dreams about those twisty mountain roads in Va and WV! Best riding I'd ever experienced.

You have any thoughts on where? I'm afraid to offer up any good routes in PA...worst pothole situation coming out of the winter than I've ever seen. Gotta head South IMO. Could do the same route through Skyline/Blue Ridge Pkwy and continue into NC this time instead of WV.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed! Helluva long winter. Longest stretch I'd gone without riding in years. I'm definitely up for another ride...I still have dreams about those twisty mountain roads in Va and WV! Best riding I'd ever experienced.

You have any thoughts on where? I'm afraid to offer up any good routes in PA...worst pothole situation coming out of the winter than I've ever seen. Gotta head South IMO. Could do the same route through Skyline/Blue Ridge Pkwy and continue into NC this time instead of WV.

I didnt think about potholes...they have them managed pretty well here so far. I like the route we did in August. Also, the Blue Ridge Parkway continues down through NC...and ends very close to the tail of the dragon. That would be a haul for you PA guys, but if we wanted a longer trip that might be interesting to consider. I would be game for any ride.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A bit of a haul to the Tail, but I'm game for using some much needed vacation days and making it a longer trip.
Google Maps has the Tail of the Dragon a mere 677 miles from my door...We came close to doing that ballpark mileage in one day heading home last year!
I'll send Ben a PM and an email to see what's up with him.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey fellas. I'm glad to hear you guys already talking about a repeat. I am in for at least some of this, depending on my work situation at the time. :rockon:

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys, I am new here. Just bought my FZ6 last week in fact. She is my second bike. I live just outside of Baltimore and would definitely be interested in joining for some long rides ASAP.

I am planning about a 5,000 mile ride with a friend this summer and want to get a feel for the bike during long trips. My longest trip with her since I bought her last week is 130 miles. I will keep my eyes on this thread and if timing allows for it I would love to join you all.

Nice meeting you all and I look forward to riding with many of you,
~Matt

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys, I am new here. Just bought my FZ6 last week in fact. She is my second bike. I live just outside of Baltimore and would definitely be interested in joining for some long rides ASAP.

I am planning about a 5,000 mile ride with a friend this summer and want to get a feel for the bike during long trips. My longest trip with her since I bought her last week is 130 miles. I will keep my eyes on this thread and if timing allows for it I would love to join you all.

Nice meeting you all and I look forward to riding with many of you,
~Matt

Welcome, Matt!

I'm sorry, did you mean to write '5,000' miles? As in 5-0-0-0 miles? Now that's a trip! Where will you be going? How many days? Epic journey for sure.

You're absolutely welcome to join us, whatever we end up planning. But your summer ride around the globe may come before our extended weekend trip. If we plan it as we did last year, the ride will be in mid to late August. Like you said you're doing, keep an eye on this thread for more details to come.