August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my attempt at planning a weekend trip down into Virginia and West Virginia from the Philadelphia area. If this isn't the correct section to do so, let me know.

At the bottom of this thread I will post the link for the route I've planned for the trip.

The meeting point starts in Delaware, just across the border from Pennsylvania on I-95. I wanted to start the thread to get some feedback from riders who would like to join me, or meet me in Front Royal, VA.

I've planned everything from hotels to gas stations and breaking up the trip into different days and different legs for each day.

All mileage and time is an approximation.

Here is the Planned Trip on Google.

Day 1 is the Green route for Friday
Leg 1 - 185mi - 3hrs
Leg 2 - 105mi - 3hrs
Leg 3 - 45mi - 1hr 30min

Day 2 is the Red route for Saturday (Alternate in Yellow)
Leg 1 - 114mi - 3hr 30 min
Leg 2 - 90mi - 2hr 20 min
Leg 3 - 111mi - 2hr 45 min
Alt Leg 3 - 68mi - 1hr 40 min

Day 3 is the White Route for Sunday (Alternate in Orange if we take the alternate from Day 2.)
Leg 1 - 133mi - 3hr
Alt Leg 1 - 85mi - 1hr 50 min
Leg 2 - 272mi - 4hr 15 min.

Now, Leg 2 on Day 3 is just highway for heading back home on Sunday.

Total
Route 1 - 1055mi
Route w/ Alternates - 964mi

So, I was hoping to get some feedback on the trip and to get some interest. Then we can start planning and making reservations for hotels, etc.

Let me know what everyone thinks. Also, even if you don't plan on attending, give me some feedback as to the planned route.

Thanks!

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I am very interested in your trip, about me:

I bought my FZ6 this past April. Before that I had another bike about 2 years prior, but I only owned it for a few months. I am a newer rider, but I commuted a decent amount over this past summer and I now feel confident about riding. I live in Manassas and have taken a couple of day trips out to Front Royal (both in VA). I don't really have friends who ride (I am working on that) so I haven't been able to take a good longer trip like you have proposed. Because of my location I would prefer meeting you in Front Royal. Also, I grew up in the area, and I went to college in Harrisonburg VA. I can be a good resource for any local information if you need it.

I have one suggestion for the trip. You should plan a stop at the Green bank Telescope. Your map takes you right by it in WV: 38.430833,-79.818699 - Google Maps
The telescope is the worlds largest steerable radio telescope, and you can see it over the trees (you would probably see it riding by). There is a visitor center to checkout and there are tours down to the telescope (longer visit though). There have been talks of shutting the telescope down (gov. funding) and it would mean a lot to me to stop, assuming I am going.

Sorry for all the rambling, I was just excited to see your trip.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not ridden any of those roads, but the map looks good :D

Would love to join you, if I can swing it. I know I'll be going to FL the weekend after and no idea what work will be like around that time.

It will have to be a last minute decision for me.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep those date in mind. The BRP is on the list for this year, just don't know when yet. It's a hell of a ride for me but maybe I can meet up in DC or in the BRP. I'll let you know.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok All, Great! I'm glad to have gotten some interest. We can really do this trip any weekend that works. I work every other weekend. The reason I set this weekend was because the wife is going to be gone and I thought it would work out well.

But, if we all want to schedule a different weekend that would work better we can talk about it.

So gottherim4, I'm assuming you would want to go on the shorter day 2 route, that goes past the telescope you wanted to see. That works if you want. I suggested the other way because of route 20. I've heard some good things about that road and wanted to try, but we can do whatever.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
From Baltimore, consider taking I-70 W to Frederick, MD, then US-340 S via Harper's Ferry, WV to Front Royal, VA. You'll hit a few traffic signals in WV, but it's not much longer, and absolutely more scenic and relaxing, with plenty of places to take a break, compared to the DC Beltway (I-495) and I-66. Your trip will be at the hottest time of the year, and more often than not these days, beltway traffic is worse on weekends than weekdays.

Last edited:

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok All, Great! I'm glad to have gotten some interest. We can really do this trip any weekend that works. I work every other weekend. The reason I set this weekend was because the wife is going to be gone and I thought it would work out well.

But, if we all want to schedule a different weekend that would work better we can talk about it.

So gottherim4, I'm assuming you would want to go on the shorter day 2 route, that goes past the telescope you wanted to see. That works if you want. I suggested the other way because of route 20. I've heard some good things about that road and wanted to try, but we can do whatever.

I would like to go by Green Bank, but I would still go if not. I am also available most weekends and very flexible on whichever weekend.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Might actually be able to make that one! Skyline is an amazing bit of road, was on part of it when the fam went to a Nascar race down there a few years back, would love to hit it on the V.

Will try and keep those few days open and dump a little more into the "rainy day" fund :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since this trip is on a weekend I might be able to go. I couldnt do Daytona because it was during the week. I'll start begging for permission today:BLAA:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad your green leg is not on Saturday...I work Fridays but I live only 40 minutes from Front Royal, VA!

One tip if you have never been on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, VA.... The Speed limit is 35mph for the entire length of the drive and there is heavy Park Ranger presence in the summer. Ranger's run radar and issue speeding tickets just like State Police! The Blue Ridge Parkway is another story. I've ridden it start to finish 2 times now and never seen more than 1 Ranger or cop on it both times!

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Wool hoooo! I'll meet ya in Front Royal! Not sure how far I'll ride, I might head home at the first rest stop or follow all the way to I64 and jump off there and head deeper into WV (wrong turn country) or I just may go the whole sat/sun route??? No two ways about it, I'll see ya in Front Royal!

Call/text me @ (540)-656-7538
Garrett

Hope to see lots of fourmites out for this one!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, So at this point we have

Definitely Going;
Bambam
gottherim4
phranK2k11

Possibly Going;
erci
marthy
motojoe122

And FIZZER6, try taking half a day off! We'd love to have you!

The more the merrier everyone! I figure we can wait until June to make reservations for Hotels.

Also, concerning the route and trip, I attempted to route everything on basecamp and was simply going to transfer the trip onto my GPS...however, I discovered my GPS does not accept routes from basecamp...

So, if anyone who is attending has a GPS they would be willing to use that would be great. I could send you the routes on basecamp and you could add it to your GPS. I would be willing to lead so that responsibility is not on anyone's shoulders.

Let me know!

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont have a gps, sorry! I passed another fz coming into work this morning. I wanted to yell "hi!" Looking forward to meeting other fz6 riders.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
From Baltimore, consider taking I-70 W to Frederick, MD, then US-340 S via Harper's Ferry, WV to Front Royal, VA. You'll hit a few traffic signals in WV, but it's not much longer, and absolutely more scenic and relaxing, with plenty of places to take a break, compared to the DC Beltway (I-495) and I-66. Your trip will be at the hottest time of the year, and more often than not these days, beltway traffic is worse on weekends than weekdays.

:like: I used to go down that way to visit a friend outside of Winchester. Not a bad route, except for Berryville.

I'll have to look at a map when I have my laptop, but I think I might could join for at least a day.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm unsure if I'll make it for any this as of now, but it looks like you're passing through my backyard on the BRP (I work in Crozet, VA). :D :D Keeping an eye on this thread. :thumbup:

If you decide you want any eatery/brewery/etc recommendations in the Albemarle/Waynesboro area, let me know. Looks like you're stopping for gas around there.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, concerning the route and trip, I attempted to route everything on basecamp and was simply going to transfer the trip onto my GPS...however, I discovered my GPS does not accept routes from basecamp...

So, if anyone who is attending has a GPS they would be willing to use that would be great.

My GPS accepts routes from BaseCamp, however, it's horribly faulty. Even relatively simple routes moved from BaseCamp go bonkers on every ride :(

Having said that, it's better than nothing. So if I do go, I'll definitely ask you to send me your BaseCamp data.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
My GPS accepts routes from BaseCamp, however, it's horribly faulty. Even relatively simple routes moved from BaseCamp go bonkers on every ride :(

Having said that, it's better than nothing. So if I do go, I'll definitely ask you to send me your BaseCamp data.

OK, will do. I'm also going to try and borrow my grandfather's GPS, so we will see.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
:like: I used to go down that way to visit a friend outside of Winchester. Not a bad route, except for Berryville.

I'll have to look at a map when I have my laptop, but I think I might could join for at least a day.

:thumbup: Doesn't help if you're headed for Front Royal, but if you're just cutting over to Winchester or thereabouts, the shiny, new four lane WV-9 between US-340 in Charles Town and I-81 in Martinsville is the way to go now, bypassing Berryville. It just opened a few months ago.