August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
One more day of work for me, leaving for the train on Thursday morning. Now I am starting to get excited about the trip, meeting everyone and enjoying ourselves. another reason is the the fact that most of the time I will be out of touch and can really switch off. Work seems to think I am like the IFC channel, Always on Slightly off......

Agreed, I'm getting very excited. The weather forecast for our riding area is looking very nice.

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
well fellas, i really hate to say this, but unfortunately between work and planning for a wedding, i had too much come up this weekend. i am not going to be able to make it. sorry for the inconvenience and hope you all enjoy the ride. stay safe. i'll have a beer for you this weekend.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
No worries, Thanks for letting us know! Good luck with whatever you have going on.

Ohendo, I think that means for hotel rooms we are all set. One additional rider will make it perfect. Ohendo, what is the plan for us for Friday morning? Meet at 8am at that Acme off of 202 in Delaware? or 9am?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No worries, Thanks for letting us know! Good luck with whatever you have going on.

Ohendo, I think that means for hotel rooms we are all set. One additional rider will make it perfect. Ohendo, what is the plan for us for Friday morning? Meet at 8am at that Acme off of 202 in Delaware? or 9am?

Whatever works best time wise. I'm good for 8am if you are.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ben, the Acme you want to meet at... is it this one?

1901 Concord Pike

It must be...since I can't find any other Acme's on 202 near I-95.
Less than two days out. :BLAA:

Rode into work today and my front tire was making some serious road noise. Need to check that out ASAP. Plenty of tread on it, so hopefully just a pressure issue.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ben, the Acme you want to meet at... is it this one?

1901 Concord Pike

It must be...since I can't find any other Acme's on 202 near I-95.
Less than two days out. :BLAA:

Rode into work today and my front tire was making some serious road noise. Need to check that out ASAP. Plenty of tread on it, so hopefully just a pressure issue.

yes, that is the correct one. and 8 am it is. I think if we meet around then and leave shortly thereafter we will have plenty of time and won't have to rush.

yes get your tire checked out. we don't need any issues on the first day!

92bit, we will meet you at the Sheetz off of 340 around 1030am on Friday.

Everyone else, at the Hess station on S Commerce Ave near South St in Front Royal around 1200-1230pm

Cadman, thanks for the well wishes. We won't be on the Tail of the Dragon...that was a bit far for us for only a weekend ride. Maybe next year...

Last edited:

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site

Funny you should mention tires. I planned on getting new rubber before the trip, but wanted to use the most out of a not yet done set before the trip. So earlier tonight I got a new set fitted and inspection done. Well, pulling out of the lot I took my first pavement spill.:( Nothing bad at all I was moving maybe 5 mph over a little bit of gravel and the slick new rear slid out. A few scratches to me and the bike. The only damage done was the rear brake lever got bent. Still operational, clears all obstacles through its travel. I am going to attempt to heat and bend it back a bit so it is comfortable to use again as a short term fix. I still plan on attending, just thought you should all know.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you should mention tires. I planned on getting new rubber before the trip, but wanted to use the most out of a not yet done set before the trip. So earlier tonight I got a new set fitted and inspection done. Well, pulling out of the lot I took my first pavement spill.:( Nothing bad at all I was moving maybe 5 mph over a little bit of gravel and the slick new rear slid out. A few scratches to me and the bike. The only damage done was the rear brake lever got bent. Still operational, clears all obstacles through its travel. I am going to attempt to heat and bend it back a bit so it is comfortable to use again as a short term fix. I still plan on attending, just thought you should all know.

I got new tires a couple months ago, they are definitely slick at first. Don't let it get you down, take it as a learning opportunity. I am cheering for you to feel better by friday! :cheer:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good learning experience. If you have to learn a lesson the hard way, 5MPH is a pretty good choice!
You're gonna love those tires once they're sufficiently scrubbed, trust me.

Last edited:

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I definitely am using it as a learning opportunity. After I got bike up and checked out I sat down for 30 mins thinking about how I could have done differently. Still, was a bit on edge for the ride home. I came to the conclusion that I should no longer do burnouts every time I leave from a stop.:rolleyes:

The hour or two highway ride down should help me break in the tires without any tight turns. Still pumped to meet y'all! Also, my knee is gonna have a pretty gnarly bruise, but nothing that should keep me from bending it.:cheer:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
The hour or two highway ride down should help me break in the tires without any tight turns. Still pumped to meet y'all! Also, my knee is gonna have a pretty gnarly bruise, but nothing that should keep me from bending it.:cheer:

Yes the ride down will help break them in, but also will warm them up. The hotter a tire, the stickier it gets.

We will all have to pay attention to that on our first rides on saturday and sunday morning as the temperature is going to be cool in the morning.

Ditto on excitement! I'm don't know if I'll be able to fall asleep tonight!

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok all loaded up, probably brought too many things.
At the train station in Sanford Fl waiting to board. Tryst is all loaded up on what amounts to a tram like trailer dolly. super easy to load up maybe a 2' high concrete ramp onto the dolly into a channel with a front wheel chock 2 employees ready with tie downs, 4 on the lower triple and 1 on the rear tire, very solid and both employees were very careful they where they routed the straps. I tried to upload a couple of photos, bandwidth too slow here will try again when I can get a more solid connection.

See everyone tomorrow!!

JC>

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! You sure are coming a long way for this ride.
What does it cost to put a bike on the auto train from Sanford to Lorton?

Last edited:

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
DUDES!! it just wasnt the same. RT 250 was pretty good not too many hair pins but some of the switch backs were pretty cool, but it was very wet!
If it would of stayed dry it would been another notch on the handle, because we would have killed it!!! :eek:

I Hope everyone has arrived at their destinations safe today...Tryst and I landed safely.
With the rain and the PETIT ROCK dust she looks like someone chased her out the the mud bath and didnt let her rinse off, Going to have to find a hose and show her some love. Posted the train dolly pictures on the prevoius post.

Great Time guys, nice meeting and riding with everyone. JC>
:rockon::Sport: