August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice Leo's... You and Ben both have aftermarket cans. I won't even be able to tell if mine is running!

Mine are two brothers. I will ride in the back if they are too loud. :) I put some tips in them a few months ago that made a nice difference, they are much better while cruising now.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, now that we are just around the corner I wanted to mention some things we might all need to think about. Since this is the first we will all be meeting it might be a good idea to have some emergency contact information with us in the case one of us goes down.

Also, I will be bringing a disk brake lock for my bike for overnight. Not sure what everyone else was thinking. I do have a large padlock if someone has some wire we could fish through the front wheels of everyone's bike.

And, in terms of first aid kit, does anyone have anything? I don't have much of one right now, will bring what I can.

In terms of riding in a group, does anyone have any questions or concerns?

Any other ideas of necessities that we can talk about?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No concerns about group riding here. Haven't given any thought to locking the bike; will probably just put a cable bike lock through the wheel.
First aid kit? I have a few items I suppose, nothing anyone would call a complete kit. I'll look into picking one up.

Haven't received a PM from Lghtmgr with cell number...still in?

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok just sent the PM's Still in been out of pocket for a few days.
Looking forward to the trip. Should be arriving in Lorton VA. around 9:30 AM on the 16th. i hope it doesn't take longer that an hour and a half to get the Bike off the Train.

Still Planning my trip back cant decide out the many things I want to see, do or people I want to visit been tough making up my mind, Maybe I'll just head south and hit the Dragons tail and the heck with everything else. Hell it is on the way... think I just made up my mind....http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/maps/pdf/RideMePoster_2013.pdf

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
lghtmgr and I might be riding to Front Royal together, we are working on it by PM.

I'm newer to group riding, but will be fine and safe.

I don't have any locking method for my bike, I normally just turn and lock the steering in my garage. I can look into getting cable or a wheel lock.

I don't have a first aid kit, just a random collection and bandages, gauze, and such. I wouldn't mind getting a kit.

I can make wallet sized cards with everyones emergency contact info (1-2 contacts maybe?) if everyone wants to send me the names and numbers.

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
I will have a First Aid kit, among a stop and go tire plug kit.
Fl is a long ride back without carrying a couple of things.
Did I miss the post somewhere?
Is there a specific spot we all will meet in Front Royal?

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
If someone does have a cable they could bring that might be nice to lock all of the bikes together. I have a nice padlock we can use. If not, we should be fine.

lghtmgr, I was thinking of buying a plug kit as well, do you know where I can get one? And ok on the first aid kit. Also, I would suggest hitting the Tail of the Dragon...I actually wanted to make my trip there this year, but it was just too far for a weekend for me...maybe we can plan a trip for next year! Let us know how it goes!

I will be sending some contact information to gottherim4, that is a great idea. Thanks!

In terms of a meeting place in Front Royal, there is a Hess station near the corner of S Commerce Ave and South St, it is on the northeast corner of that intersection.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I have emergency contacts from Ohendo. Everyone else send me 2 names and numbers. I was thinking a wallet sized card with everyones emergency info, and I will make 5 of them.

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually carry a small coil cable and my disc lock, I ordered off the net somewhere maybe amazon cant recall.
Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation - Stop & Go International Inc Store
this is what I have, I don't carry a pump because this should get a tire up enough to ease it in somewhere. I think i found it somewhere alot cheaper that what they have it listed. Ok I'll be at the Hess as soon as I can on the 16th, should make it around noon if i dont have any issues getting Tryst off the train. EM contacts sent.... lol sent it to Ohendo also by mistake.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I have emergency contacts from Ohendo. Everyone else send me 2 names and numbers. I was thinking a wallet sized card with everyones emergency info, and I will make 5 of them.

One more tip: Cell phone coverage will come and go as you're on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Check your provider's coverage map. Switch your phone off or to airplane mode -- it will gobble up the battery as it boosts power to search for a signal.

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
Fellas! Hello from Newport News, Va. Sorry I have been MIA from this thread, I was busy working out some bugs to be able to join you, if it is not too late. I have someone joining me and we will work on a room unless there is a couple empty spots and someone wants to split the cost. I would like to know about what time you will be in Front Royal. Its just a little bit further from me than Waynesboroso we may just join there with the others. If it is 1045, then we will probably just join you in Waynesborro so we dont strain ourselves too much. It seems Front Royal is the "big meet up" so that would be nice. Let me know.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
Fellas! Hello from Newport News, Va. Sorry I have been MIA from this thread, I was busy working out some bugs to be able to join you, if it is not too late. I have someone joining me and we will work on a room unless there is a couple empty spots and someone wants to split the cost. I would like to know about what time you will be in Front Royal. Its just a little bit further from me than Waynesboroso we may just join there with the others. If it is 1045, then we will probably just join you in Waynesborro so we dont strain ourselves too much. It seems Front Royal is the "big meet up" so that would be nice. Let me know.

Wow! I thought I was joining the ride late.:rolleyes: I am OK with another rider, but I'm not the leader/organizer of the ride. As far as meeting in Front Royal, I think the plan is still to meet there around 12:30pm. There are 5 of us at this point 4 are sharing 2 rooms and I am on my own in a 3rd room. If you and the other don't mind sharing a bed, or one sleeping on the floor then I'm sure we could work out a fair splitting of the price. I am fairly certain both rooms I have reserved have 2 beds, I can call to confirm if you are interested.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
This ride is by no means a dictatorship, so If everyone is on board with two more riders, I'm fine with it. What does everyone else think???

Also, please PM me with your contact information and gottherim4 with some emergency contact information.

As far as rooms, 92bit is right, if you want to cut the cost by sharing a room, or you can reserve your own. the first hotel is the Buena Vista Motel in Virginia for the 16th, the second is in Webster Springs, WVA, the Mineral Springs Motel for the 17th.

92bit is also correct in that we are planning on meeting in Front royal around 12:30, stopping for an hour or so, then taking off for Skyline around 1:30. The meet up is in Front Royal at a Hess station on S Commerce Ave near South St. On the Northeast corner of that intersection. If you are bringing a GPS I can send you the TYRE routes.

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
alright, short of anything happening, again, i will meet you at front royal. 1230 is good because it is going to take us around 4 hours to get there I believe, give or take a few. Bam Bam, if you could PM me your info in case there happens to be 30 Hess stations on the same road, I can find you easier than riding around and looking for a pack of Yamahas. This is my first ride of such magnitude, i am pretty excited.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, If you pull up the google maps of our trip, located here

Zoom into Front Royal and you can see where the gas station mark is.

I will PM you my information.

Also, I posted this a little earlier but just wanted to reiterate. I definitely don't want to sound bossy or in control, cause that is not who I am, but having said that I want to make sure we are all riding safely and aren't being stupid. So, for safety's sake, the link below is the MSF quick tips to group riding.

If you haven't read it before it is definitely a good read.

http://www.arng.army.mil/soldierres...torcycle Safety/MSF Quick Tips Group_Ride.pdf

Last edited:

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I posted this a little earlier but just wanted to reiterate. I definitely don't want to sound bossy or in control, cause that is not who I am, but having said that I want to make sure we are all riding safely and aren't being stupid. So, for safety's sake, the link below is the MSF quick tips to group riding.

If you haven't read it before it is definitely a good read.

http://www.arng.army.mil/soldierres...torcycle Safety/MSF Quick Tips Group_Ride.pdf

I don't think you are being bossy, the group riding info is very important so we all make it home in one piece. :thumbup: I am new enough to group riding that I found the info a great read and appreciate it.

BamBam, I don't think I have EC info from you. DavidG-757, Do you want EC info for your rider?