Ashamed, can't get stripped oil filter off

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using this wrench on the bike and all my vehicles. It's never failed me.

View attachment 52843

OEM/Strap oil filter wrench (25079) | Oil Filter Wrench | AutoZone.com

Some advice though, if you are going to use the wrench you have or channel locks, and some may not know this, to properly and effectively use these types of wrenches, make sure the wrench is on the left side of the cylinder when loosening and on the right side when tightening.

View attachment 52844

Thanks! Looks like my local AZ has these, I will give them a crack. Good news is that I am really adding to my wrench collection trying to find something that works. Longest, most expensive oil change ever.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Blu point adjustable filter grabber. Love it! It won't strip because it will damage the filter if it needs to.

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Blu point adjustable filter grabber. Love it! It won't strip because it will damage the filter if it needs to.

Like this? Interesting- never seen one like this before. Now I see your pic edited in. More kinds out there apparently.

FWA6296.jpg

FWA6296A, Wrench, Oil Filter, Adjustable, 62 mm to 96 mm

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
Like this? Interesting- never seen one like this before. Now I see your pic edited in. More kinds out there apparently.

FWA6296.jpg

FWA6296A, Wrench, Oil Filter, Adjustable, 62 mm to 96 mm

+1 here, bought one a while back and it's never failed me. As long as you get the arms seated against the filter before cranking it loose it holds really well. You can put a massive breaker bar on it and make it as easy to remove as you like.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The issue with screwdriver is often times just splits the thin shell. In our case the engine is pretty much right in the way and you stand a good chance of marring up the case. If the channel locks are not an option, here is another option.

A large cold chisel right to the edge where it seats to the block. Followed by a large hammer will also do the trick. Rotation is Counter-Clockwise.

As seen here the shell is very thin and can slice you good if not careful. The mounting flange where the can seals together is very strong.

From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html
45286d1350842022-practice-what-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter-ssc_5584-jpg

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have just used the cup socket to begin with, but thats hindsight...
take the front sprocket cover off, like mentioned, and get something that will eat away and soften the rubber or attack it with a heat source.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I never heard my mechanic scream until he had to fight an oil filter that some goon overtorqued on there. He kept screaming "Hand tight, mother-$^%@*#", over and over again.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
They do get tighter, I have hand tightened one and ran it a lil ( usually do this after a head gasket.) and damn had to use a wrench on it.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I promised everyone a picture, and thank god its a picture of it off the bike. I had a buddy stop by to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and he was unable to get it off either. I finally put my red neck hat on, and jam packed one of my filter wrenches with sand paper to give it some leverage and tighten it. I will not be over tightening it this year :)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I promised everyone a picture, and thank god its a picture of it off the bike. I had a buddy stop by to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and he was unable to get it off either. I finally put my red neck hat on, and jam packed one of my filter wrenches with sand paper to give it some leverage and tighten it. I will not be over tightening it this year :)

"Ya like that? bwahaha..Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NAAAAOOOWWW??"

Ahem. You got it. Well done. :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They do get tighter, I have hand tightened one and ran it a lil ( usually do this after a head gasket.) and damn had to use a wrench on it.

So - everyone IS APPLYING fresh engine oil to the rubber seal BEFORE installing new filter, YES?!?!?
For the most part this really aids in the removal as a small amount of oil is trapped in the pores of the sealing flange and the rubber. Granted its not 100% but it does help!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
So - everyone IS APPLYING fresh engine oil to the rubber seal BEFORE installing new filter, YES?!?!?
For the most part this really aids in the removal as a small amount of oil is trapped in the pores of the sealing flange and the rubber. Granted its not 100% but it does help!

This isn't my first rodeo thanks.

And it's also helps the rubber to not stay on the housing after you remove it. Someone did that and didn't notice it untill they already put the other one on.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes, but I'm not sure Yamaha did at the factory. That original filter was a tough one. My second was a Walmart Supertech filter that used really thin metal -- seemed to distort when I used a filter wrench on it and had to get out the screwdrivers and pliers.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't my first rodeo thanks.

And it's also helps the rubber to not stay on the housing after you remove it. Someone did that and didn't notice it untill they already put the other one on.

haha! - I know ^you knew^ but someone else might not! Also, good point about the rubber sticking to the block. No lube and you're in for a treat! :eek:

Sorry - should have worded that w/out incrimination! :rolleyes: