2023 update

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So my 2014 Ducati Multistrada blew a head gasket. I discovered a coffee colored oil that was pasty within my oil cap, many have said coolant has leaked into my casing. The bike also doesn't start, as others said it's now hydro locked whatever that means. So rather spending thousands on repair, I just parked the bike in the garage and used the repair money to put a down payment on a 2023 Kawaski Ninja 1000SX. That bike is still parked as I can't get to the DMV until the end of the month to get it registered. With still no car, going on 17-18 years with just a bike, I've been taking the bus to get around Reno. At least I can ride the transit system for free since I teach at the local college being a rider coach. It's been a very bad winter in terms of snow, so I would have had to take the bus anyways for most of those days, Kind of shocked how expensive it is to insure the bike. I guess it's still classified as a liter sportbike even though it's a sportstourer.

VR

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny! So sorry to hear of your situation! Good luck on the new ride! What about Versys?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hydro locked is when a liquid (coolant) gets inside an engine(where it shouldn't be (crankcase, cylinder, etc).

As it doesn't compress like air, it literally locks up the engine. I would pull the spark plugs, check oil level and try to spin over to get any coolant out from the combustion chamber.

If left in there, the more time it's there, the more damage (rusting, etc) WILL occur.

Once emptied, put some oil in the spark plug hole and crank over (plugs out) to distribute the oil and protect the cylinders..

Then there's no hurry to fix...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But changing out the plugs, and changing and flushing out the oil, the blown head gasket would just put more coolant back in the casing and back to the hydro lock? Or just don't start it?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But changing out the plugs, and changing and flushing out the oil, the blown head gasket would just put more coolant back in the casing and back to the hydro lock? Or just don't start it?
Crap Kenny, sorry to hear about the Ducati. That really sucks.

I am sure Scott will reply, but I believe he is recommending you remove the plugs and leave them out while you add the oil in the cylinders and crank to distribute it. You cannot hydro lock if the plugs are out. Pistons would just pump the water out.

Which brings up the question.... you said it wouldn't start. Would the engine crank?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Quote:

"But changing out the plugs, and changing and flushing out the oil, the blown head gasket would just put more coolant back in the casing and back to the hydro lock? Or just don't start it?"

It's broke and won't be running W/O the actual repair. Drain and leave out ALL coolant.
There's now no coolant to leak into the cylinder and hydro lock again..

Lube the top end with a couple teaspoons of oil, spin over to remove excess. Your just protecting bare, shiny metal (cylinders) from rusting..

Drain that contamined engine oil, it also has mositure in it. I'd put in some some cheap oil for now, again to protect parts.

Once repaired, the oil /filter should be changed again..

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
good to hear from you Kenny, sad about the old bike good to hear about a new one, hopefully the weather is getting better. I managed about 12 years without a car, but then got a deal on a hilux ute that was too good to pass up- when I sell it in 5 years I'll still make more on it even with higher mileage. But it only serves a purpose whereas the bike does most of that and is a whale load of fun to boot.