Apples and Oranges

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone asked me to do a write up about my R1, after my FZ6 (and first bike of a Ninja 500). Here goes my attempt.

• Torque: got it? Super-awesome torque. You can do whatever you want in first gear...second gear...third gear...
  • seating position: it SUCKS! it's not so bad in the twists/canyons or even in stop and go traffic (for acceleration, leaning forward is natural to me) but while commuting to work? Horrible. A friend on another forum, over two decades or riding, including racing (still does tracks) said the same while I was asking for advice on this topic...its not a commuter at all
  • cool. it has a high cool factor.
  • gas mileage sucks. small tank sucks. 91 octane doesn't help.
  • no center stand. you never really appreciate doing your own work, quiet time, maintenance and inspections, like on the FZ. I have to buy some 'stands' for it.
  • Power. I have played with it for a while, practiced hard launches, wheelies, tried endos, loved it in the twists but I have yet to go WOT! once you get the throttle to a certain point, it pulls so hard it really feels like the bike is going to keep going and leave you behind, like some youtube video clip
  • twists...awesome. great for twists. suspension is meant for twists. horrible for commuting though.

Summary:

bigger isn't better. Many long timers go from liter bikes to 600's for the track or canyons. liters are overkill and they're right.

It's a true super-sport, meant for canyons, tracks, twisties. it's a horrible commuter, seating and suspension. i think the longer i own this bike, the more likely i'll wind up getting a 60mpg sportster once i sell this :Sport: or at least, its Japanese equivalent...who knows.

I don't know...its pretty intimidating, feeling the bike pull so hard. I weigh well over 200lb now, i'm pretty strong but man, this bike is no joke. One last thing...the technology in it- amazing. go check it out at the yamaha website. i never understood why the price of an r1 adn r6 (and other makes/equivalents) were so close in price. now i get it...very similar bikes.

i dont think i'll ever own a zx14 but i might get a sv650 or sportster or something in the future. dont think i'll be able to break my wallet for a triple or 848 either, but that kinda gives you an idea of my interests. i got this bike for a killer price but once i fix one last piece of plastic on it, i'm probably going to sell it and get something more appropriate for my long trip loving, commuting, and occassional twists riding self.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
A friend of mine just gave me 12-months to trade in the FZ6 and get a litre bike. Then after a month, to be sorry I got it and go back to another 600.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write-up, thanks.

I have ridden a FZ1 once, and it's power felt a bit intimidating as well (the FZ6 is my first bike). I've sat on R6's and R1's before, but the riding position doesn't appeal to me, especially because I'm more touring oriented.

Long live the FZ6 :)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very good writeup, expected comparison, but it is nice to get the confirmation. I would love to get an R1 someday as a toy, but not as the only bike.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Good write up. I have a friend who just traded in an R6 for an R1. He likes the R6 better in the turns. Says the R1 is an animal (front wheel off the ground @ 137mph), but regrets not holding onto the R6, which he loved, as well. Like you, he said he might be headed to Harley territory someday - which shocked me.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the writeup, it was very informative! The R1 is def a sweet looking bike, but I'd have to have it along with my fizzer for my daily commutes and long trips.

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
I find my CBR a very comfortable commuter, I have done quite a few 45 mile freeway runs and find myself as comfortable on my CBR as I am on my FZ. After having a liter bike I don't think I will ever own a 600 I-4 for street use again. The torque is just so nice to have for street riding, I find it annoying keeping a bike high in the revs while riding the street.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The litre bike debate is a difficult one. I def. don't want a litre sport bike, the riding position just wont due. The FZ6 has probably got to be my all time favorite bike all things considered. I owned this ZRX1200R
NewHouse001.jpg

and I must admit that I absolutely loved the midrange and top end power this bike had. The bottom line is you just can't safely use all that power on the street. Not to mention the fact that I was always tempted to wheelie the bike which it did quite easily. The FZ has all the power (and then some) that you could use on the street, but I'm alot less likely to get stupid and get myself a ticket. When you consider the FZ's price, the fact that it's fuel injected, has a six-speed tranny and comes with a center stand, IMO there's just nothing else out there that can touch this bike.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I guess that's it though- the R1 / R6 is more of a toy bike (same with the honda/suzuki equivalents). the sv is something i might get also, naked though. I should also say, its very light feeling, and I was right all along about the fz6 being so top heavy. the r1 is much better balanced. today again i hit the twists on my lunch and it was pretty fun.

you get what works for you. the r1 types are for fun.

i plan to get on someones fz6 soon just to go back and see what i am missing. i was without a bike for about 2 months so its hard for me to understand the difference as I want.

FYI, the riding position for the ex500 and zx14 are pretty much upright and good for sport touring also.

if you google up ninja 250 reviews, you'll get a lot of long time riders review this little 250 and give it a lot of respect for what you can do in the canyons. its interesting how much 'bike' you get with a ninja 250, sportster, fz6 and the r1's (new, for their price). after riding for so long and learning so much, i'm starting to appreciate that more and more. what i REALLY want to do...buy a sportster for work, a ninja 250 for fun. am i weird? :p

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I find it annoying keeping a bike high in the revs while riding the street.

And I find it fun. Variety is the spice of life.:cheer: Actually I seldom need to rev it above 5000 RPM in town. I wait till I get out of traffic and on to the backroads to open it up, at which time it becomes a totally different bike. :Sport:

crx81

Reaction score
Visit site
Summary:
bigger isn't better. Many long timers go from liter bikes to 600's for the track or canyons. liters are overkill and they're right.

So, SOOOOOO true. I traded my last FZ on a ZX-14 when they first came out. The bike was a freaking monster, and I enjoyed it, but it was absolute overkill for the streets. 3 bikes after the ZX-14 I came back and bought another FZ6. I've ridden everything from the smallest Ninja (250) the the biggest, and owned 2 cruisers as well. From my experience, the FZ6 is the perfect size for the streets. Heck, before I found mine (used) I was seriously considering and looking for a 500 Ninja. I really don't see myself ever getting a sportbike larger than a 600 again. The only big bike that tempts me at all is the BMW K1200R... it's just so freaking weird looking that I love it!

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
x2. 51.9 miles one way to work here according to google directions. I sat on an r6 at the dealer the other day, and I thaught about commuting on it, and I decided that I love my FZ.

I used to do the same when I had my FZ6.

I might try a SV650 or Z1000 or FZ1, but I'll never get a fetal position bike again.

J

jsteinb95

I can not believe how horrible the gas mileage is on these things! It is just ridiculous!!!!! 34 mpg max. $18 a day. Danny's Polly ride cost $60 in gas. I'm so disgusted.

Danny hasn't had any issues with the riding position.