App. for tracking my rides.

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a phone mount for my Handle bars and an external battery back. I am planning on using my phone for tracking my rides. What apps would be good for this? I have Map-My-Walk, not sure if it will track on my bike as the speed will obviously be faster. I have an Android Phone.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some just get a "Wife"..... or gf... The insecure ones are best for this! Blah

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try looking at Moto Map. My son in law turned me on to it and it works pretty good though it does suck battery life. But if you have an external battery or plug for charging it should be o.k.
I use it on my iPhone 4 but they should have a version for Android, as I recall it was only a few bucks. :thumbup:

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas, but neither will work. My Wife refuses to ride with me, she dislikes the fact I have a bike to begin with and Moto map is not available for Android.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used MyTracks, RideMyGPS and Viewranger. All do similar thing, but as mentioned they suck battery when used.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
It's tough to get away from the battery usage. When you have a tracking app or a navigation app open, it is communicating with the GPS satelites much more often than usual to help give you precise location information. All that signal traffic requires power to both send and receive. Saying "my phone uses the battery a lot when I run this app" is like saying "my motorcycle uses a lot of fuel when I run it at full throttle". :D

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Going to try some of those apps.
Found this for the battery problem. I have a battery tender and the plug is permanently attached already.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1423491074&sr=1-1&keywords=motorcycle+usb"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger: Automotive[/ame]

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used a few different apps over the years.

Give Pirelli's Diablo Super Biker a try... I used it a few times, records map location, speeds, and even lean angles.

But for consistancy, you're on the right track with map-my-walk. I use Map my Ride instead, though. It's built for cycling, so I feel more justified using it than the walking app. Although they both do the same thing.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
oh no he di-int!!!

You men picked the wrong women.

My hubby loves that his wife rides. Our friends are extremely jealous that his wife is into bikes too.

I rarely put up a fuss when he is acquiring new m/c accessories. As long as I get some too...

And if he goes out riding with his buddies, I just go out riding with mine....

azbiza

Reaction score
Visit site
I would go with Google's My Tracks, i cant imagine a better optimized app for Android (was using it a lot on my bicycle tours).

Indeed it sucks your battery because it has to continuously communicate with the GPS satellites, but what app does not ?

But, if You set up your phone right, it will not drown you battery that quick.
(whyle using it, turn off 3/4G, Wifi, and Bluetooth).

This app works without any internet connection, and once you connect it to the internet it downloads the corresponding map segments to your phone...