Any suggestions on camera mount stabilizer material?

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the idea to build and install a $5 camera mount this weekend from another website. It works good with my standard digital camera but since it mounts on the handle bars the camera does suffer some vibrations. Some of this is effected by what rpms I am cruising at and some of it is road condition related. The camera mount is basically a pvc pipe cut in half clamped on the bars (it is a T connector).

I was thinking if I wrapped something around the bar first then clamped the mount on it would reduce the vibrations. If I don't keep the cost down it defeats the purpose so I don't want to spend a lot testing different things.

Any suggestions on what might work best? Do you think a rubber material or a more nerf like material would be better?

Thanks

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
Heres a vid I shot with basically the same set up your talking about. A digital camera mounted on handle bars.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkT4B1F67tU]YouTube - FZ6 0-75[/ame]

I used a PVC T connector cut in half and clamped it to the handle bars. Between the pipe and handlebars i used a piece of rubber hose, its about 3 inches long and cut down one side so it will slip over the bars. I also cut 1/2 inch square out of the same hose cut a hole in the middle and put it at the top of the T connector were your screw and bolt are (that your camera attaches to), kind of like rubber washers. I took the screw, put a piece of rubber on then pushed it thru the cap of the T connector. Then slid another piece of rubber on the screw then tightened the bolt.

Heres another vid of mine, It's a little longer so you can see that theres not much vibration.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnECgfO7xQ]YouTube - quick ride.[/ame]

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Between the pipe and handlebars i used a piece of rubber hose, its about 3 inches long and cut down one side so it will slip over the bars. I also cut 1/2 inch square out of the same hose cut a hole in the middle and put it at the top of the T connector were your screw and bolt are (that your camera attaches to), kind of like rubber washers. I took the screw, put a piece of rubber on then pushed it thru the cap of the T connector. Then slid another piece of rubber on the screw then tightened the bolt.

Thanks :thumbup: That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Your video still has some vibrations but not as bad as mine was. In some stretches it got so bad it would shut the camera off.

If anyone else has any ideas I'd be glad to hear/see them :Flash:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Switch to a tank mounted one?

ebay-std.jpg

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got that exact one that Boneman posted and it works ok with a digital camera attached. It's a quick install, too. The only issue I've found is that it's slightly angled downward, so when I put my camera on it, it's catching too much of the speedo and fairing and not looking up through the windshield enough. I need to try and bend it slightly upward, but the steel or whatever it's made of is THICK and really strong...lol.

My solution to my problem? I'm getting a Go Pro Hero cam here sometime soon...problem solved! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you don't have one but with my Go Pro I just use the suction cup right onto the front of the fairing. Works great! Stayed put at up to 120 mph and about 2 hours for track time.