Another mod for the Buell :)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Subframe spacers... see if you can spot them on the pics below :)

They're a bit expensive for what they are, but I love the look... my only problem right now is the seating position, which kinda pushes the rider forward against the bars (logically since it raises the sub-frame and changes the angle of the seat)... it's great on WOT as it locks your ass in (I used to slide a lot on the seat), but it's a bit too much forward for my taste... I think I am going to shave them a bit, to make the angle less radical...

Before:
3036650035_33c816e4dd_b.jpg

After:
3383148926_fecc4b41a6_b.jpg

3382332027_024053d031_b.jpg

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
soo.. are they metal or plastic??? looks nice.. looks liek they cover from the top of the frame to the botom.. looks good :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you were rear-ended. ;) Honestly I'm not sure if I like the look, but I can see how you are pocketed in the seat much better. :thumbup:

I installed quick release seat pins on my 11 in place of the two torx bolts that hold the seat down. Much better, no tools needed now! :thumbup:

BTW...Fred and I are brewing up an exhaust system, a 2 into 2, instead of 2 into a box. :rolleyes: This will take a while to do but it will be a fun challenge. I've not even mentioned it on BW, they are a little too narrow minded to such an alternative bike group, kinda ironic...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
LOOKS GOOD! Did you have to do anything to the seat? It looks like it put quite a twist to it.

I did not have to do anything to the seat itself, but I did have to tweak the seat locking mechanism located right under the seat (between the rear turn signals). I had to add a couple of small 1/4inch spacers to pull the mechanism back a bit. It took 3minutes and was just a matter of loosening 2 small allen bolts, insert the spacer and tighten...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you were rear-ended. ;) Honestly I'm not sure if I like the look, but I can see how you are pocketed in the seat much better. :thumbup:

I installed quick release seat pins on my 11 in place of the two torx bolts that hold the seat down. Much better, no tools needed now! :thumbup:

BTW...Fred and I are brewing up an exhaust system, a 2 into 2, instead of 2 into a box. :rolleyes: This will take a while to do but it will be a fun challenge. I've not even mentioned it on BW, they are a little too narrow minded to such an alternative bike group, kinda ironic...

hehe yeah I actually did not like the stock look too much... the bike didn't look well balanced to me, with the seat being too flat... and now it almost does look perfect (a tiny bit too high, but will be fixed shortly hehe)! But that's just a question of taste :)

The XB seat unlocks with the key... no tools needed :Flip:

You have a thread about that exhaust mod somewhere? sounds interesting :rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hehe yeah I actually did not like the stock look too much... the bike didn't look well balanced to me, with the seat being too flat... and now it almost does look perfect (a tiny bit too high, but will be fixed shortly hehe)! But that's just a question of taste :)

The XB seat unlocks with the key... no tools needed :Flip:

You have a thread about that exhaust mod somewhere? sounds interesting :rockon:

No thread yet. I need to read Fred's engine bible book, it has formulas to figure out an appropriate exhaust (length, volume, etc) based on displacement, piston speed, etc. etc. So far the aftermarket exhausts are poorly made, cheaply made, poorly designed, way too loud and can cost a grand! So I figure I can at least try to do better. :rolleyes: In a nutshell, it will probably be a 2 into 2 with a muffler on each side, ala Aprilia or RC51. Or I found an '09 CBR1000 underslung Akrapovic muffler that may work, looks really cool.

The guys at AF1 Racing pointed me to an exhaust tubing mfg to I can buy the bends in stainless steel already made! I'm sure Fred can weld this up in an afternoon. ;)

www.burnsstainless.com

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like your a high and mighty tight-arse! :rof:

If it works for function then you've done right by yourself, but I am with Pete in saying, this didn't do much for looks and I hope functionality outweighs the appearance.

:D

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Functionality is good, comfort is not so good atm, but it'll be fixed :)

To each his own in terms of looks :rockon:

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like it (will like it more lowered a bit). It's not as radical as some of the German fighters.

What I hate is how sunny and warm it looks. :Flip:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
lol yep, good catch!

It's not as bad as it looks really... with the seat in its original position, it's as comfy as the FZ6 (if not more). Now it's not, but hey comfort is for cagers! :D

schleppy

Reaction score
Visit site
Love the XB man! I'm trying desperately to decide between an FZ6 and a Buell XB. Maybe shoot me a PM if you get some time and give me your thoughts on the two?

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Love the XB man! I'm trying desperately to decide between an FZ6 and a Buell XB. Maybe shoot me a PM if you get some time and give me your thoughts on the two?

Sorry I just noticed your post...

My take on the 2 bikes (without going into all sorts of details):

Both are great great bikes and it's really a matter of personal preference imo: if you plan on doing LOTs of touring, then I'd recommend the FZ6 as it has a windshield. Ergos and comfort are virtually the same other than the windshield... of course the Buell has a few extra nice bits (it also costs more), like the fully adjustable front and rear suspension, belt drive, amazing brakes, stock SAE power socket....etc... Mine is the Scg which is also lowered for lower center of gravity, which makes the bike feel very small and also very flickable...

Other than that, it comes down to an I4 engine vs a v-twin, and what you prefer... personally, I much prefer the vtwin for the streets/canyons/twisties, as it has instant torque no matter what gear or rpm you're in, and the Buell is just ALOT of fun to ride down a canyon road... the FZ too is fun, but just not as fun as the Buell for canyon riding because you really can't use the peak power of the FZ in these environments... running the FZ at 12k rpm all day long is just not practicle on the streets...

On the other hand however, I much prefer the I4 for the track (except for small tight tracks like Streets of Willow for example) as it feels like I am riding a formula 1 with a screaming engine and insane top speeds... on the track, I feel like an I4 engine can actually be used to it's full potential and man is it fun to wind it out!!!

To summarize: FOR ME, I will stick with vtwins for the streets, and I4 for the track (well, I wouldn't be unhappy on a RC51 or 1198 on the track either but you know what I mean :))... it just makes sense to me :thumbup:

Other ppl ride differently than me and may see things completely differently, so please understand this is just my personal opinion...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
oK so I originally came to this thread to post about my new upcoming mod:

41FPiRkynUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

- Yes it's very loud so I got the "quiet insert" too
9080-QMI.jpg

- Yes it's a useless mod other than the sound difference (much more aggressive & mean)but wth, it was on sale for $300 (instead of $500), so I went for it anyway.

- While I was at it, I also got some black header wraps to try it out...
16104.jpg

- Sound clips "before" and "after" to follow soon...

- oh and I am in the process of adding a breather/catch-can mod as well... more on that shortly...