Another fz6 chain and sprocket question

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok first off I know this topic has been beaten to death but after reading all the threads I am still not sure what I am doing. I was lucky enough that somebody bought me a chain for my fz6 as a gift. I just need to know if this vortex sprocket is compatible or not. I am not looking to gain any extra performance or anything. I just like the color combination. These are both listed for the fz6.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OEM for the FZ is a 530 chain and sprockets. Most see that as overkill on a 600cc (a 520 will do and its lighter). Just buy matching parts. Note; don't be alarmed that the front sprocket does not come with an insulator rubber like the oem did and buy a steel rear sprocket, not aluminum as it wont last.

Anyone recall the oem link count? Is it 118??

Last edited:

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
OEM for the FZ is a 530 chain and sprockets. Most see that as overkill on a 600cc (a 520 will do and its lighter). Just buy matching parts. Note; don't be alarmed that the front sprocket does not come with an insulator rubber like the oem did and buy a steel rear sprocket, not aluminum as it wont last.

Anyone recall the oem link count? Is it 118??

Thank you for your reply. I guess my original question was are these 2 matching parts or is there too little information here to tell? I do know that oem specs are 16t front 46t rear and 118 links on chain

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I guess my original question was are these 2 matching parts or is there too little information here to tell? I do know that oem specs are 16t front 46t rear and 118 links on chain

Make sure ALL components are 530 or 520 and you pictured an ALUMINUM rear sprocket, BUT I WOULD NOT advice using that. Get a Steel sprocket.

Anything that implies a direct fit should yield a 530 compatible component but people have been burned esp when sourcing from places like fleebay where the sellers list multiple applications so the "search function" dumps you on a useless ad --> mainly to get a buyer in to LOOK!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had one of those chains before, bought it second hand as it was fairly new... In my experience, it did not last long. Also, aluminum sprockets wear much faster than steel.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You can still get a good service life out of a aluminum sprocket as long as you don't beat on it, you could expect about 10,000 on a pampered al sprocket vs 20,000 on steel
Or if your me you expect a 20,000 miles service life on your bike as a whole and beat the holy chit out of...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the Supersprox gears as you get the best of both worlds; long wear and lighter weight.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
also I read bad things about volar chains... I'd rather stick to did gold x-ring :) and if you buy supersprox, it'll be match the colors and will way tough than a aluminum rear sprocket.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so after searching everywhere it is near impossible to find an aftermarket 530 sprocket with 46 teeth. Why would they all have a different amount. So now I'm stuck between returning the volar chain and going to 520 pitch. Or would it be easier/possible to change the ratio of the front and rear sprocket so I didn't have to get a 46t?? :confused:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can buy an OEM Sunstar off amazoo for $44... In just about any count you want. Early R6 and R1 is the same layout so those combos are out there...

Supersprockets in black (i have a different theme than you) is $124 tho... Sadly, blue was cheaper.

EDIT: Removed FZ1
Added: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Sunstar+2-547446+46-Teeth&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ASunstar+2-547446+46-Teeth"]Sunstar 46 teeth[/ame]

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dave Check JT Sprocket. For my project bikes I've managed to find some odd combinations thru them. Be sure to know the sprocket measurements and look outside of the FZ.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Link count may vary but as far as the rear sprocket offset goes, these should work. Sorry, I mistakingly listed FZ1 (above). That is in error and will be corrected.

FZ6 04 - 09
R1 04 - 11
R6 03 - 13