Amsoil Filters

Reaction score
Visit site
I see that the Amsoil filter on the original page for the "filters" sticky above ISN'T recommended, but that was in 2007...

Is the new filter, model #EaOM103, ok to use?

I'm switching to their 10w-40 syn right now at 4k miles with the supertech filter I already bought. So I'm asking about the next change I guess

Thanks

Reaction score
Visit site
Alllllllllllrighty then...

Well I'm gonna take the lack of answers (in two threads) as a solid NO. Either they are still no good to use still, or nobody uses them to know. Either way, I guess I won't be buying these for the next oil change...

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm using one right now. The reason the original wasn't recommended is because they don't use as much filter material as others. The material they do use does do a excellent job. If you change the filter with every oil change should't have any worries.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread but there really is no reason not to use an Amsoil filter. Going by the size of a filter is pointless if it still doesn't trap the crap floating in your oil. Most filters only capture 20-30micron size particles. Where as Amsoil filters are designed with particles much smaller in mind.

The new Amsoil filters capture over 98% of particles in the 15 micron range where as traditional paper filters only capture around 40% and even higher end filters using more blended filter media only capture around 80%

Why have a false sense of protection about the overall size of a filter when its the size of the particles it captures that matters. Again you can have a filter the size of a milk jug but if it doesn't filter the stuff in the oil than it's pretty pointless.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt use fram on my lawn mower. i wouldnt waste the money on amsoil either.

Fram is about the only oil filter that consistently is not recommended and is known to be low quality.

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

you do not hear any stories of bikes blowing up from a $3.00 purolator filter and very high end cars run great on mobil1 so why spend up to triple the $ on amsoil? it is a waste of money I think. Mercedes recommends mobil1 in their very expensive cars, heck my car has a supercharged hand built AMG Mercedes engine and uses 8.5 quarts of oil and it says right on the motor to use Mobil1 and in the owner manual. I raised the boost 5psi and added nitrous and meth injection and it runs perfect using the mobil1.

Last edited:

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
The website didn't never actually tested the filters only took them apart. So it is kind of a moot point. There is no way tell if a filter will capture 30 micron particles let alone 15 just by looking at it. Also who makes a filter doesn't mean they are all made the same different contracts have different standards to be met.

As for the Mobil 1 statements. Yes Mobil 1 makes a good oil. But also Mobil 1 paid big money to have them as the OEM oil and put it in the owners manual. Is there anything wrong with Mobil? No. Have I used it? Yes. Would I recommend it? If that's what best suit the person, yes. But don't confuse the Mobil1/AMG for a marketing tactic.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The website didn't never actually tested the filters only took them apart. So it is kind of a moot point. There is no way tell if a filter will capture 30 micron particles let alone 15 just by looking at it. Also who makes a filter doesn't mean they are all made the same different contracts have different standards to be met.

As for the Mobil 1 statements. Yes Mobil 1 makes a good oil. But also Mobil 1 paid big money to have them as the OEM oil and put it in the owners manual. Is there anything wrong with Mobil? No. Have I used it? Yes. Would I recommend it? If that's what best suit the person, yes. But don't confuse the Mobil1/AMG for a marketing tactic.

Don't confuse spam marketing tactics as proof that amsoil is worth the exorbitant price over mobil1. Heck even using standard Valvoline or any other quality brand oil and changing your oil on a regular basis will result in a long engine life. My old hyundai has nearly 200,000 miles on it and i just use the cheap stuff but change it regularly and have zero issues.

There is no need to spend the money on overpriced amsoil.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt use fram on my lawn mower. i wouldnt waste the money on amsoil either.

Fram is about the only oil filter that consistently is not recommended and is known to be low quality.

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

you do not hear any stories of bikes blowing up from a $3.00 purolator filter and very high end cars run great on mobil1 so why spend up to triple the $ on amsoil? it is a waste of money I think. Mercedes recommends mobil1 in their very expensive cars, heck my car has a supercharged hand built AMG Mercedes engine and uses 8.5 quarts of oil and it says right on the motor to use Mobil1 and in the owner manual. I raised the boost 5psi and added nitrous and meth injection and it runs perfect using the mobil1.

I am a little confused you put a link and I took a look you said Fram is known to be low quality. I can't recall a motor that blew up due to the oil filter. It is usually an oil pump that dies....The link you posted he recommends the Fram Tough Guard and Amsoil filters.

As far as the oil itself..... mobil 1 motorcycle oil can be had for $9.99 a quart. The Amsoil is $11.55 with the discount should be less.

As far as car oil goes Amsoil offers 25,000 mile drain interval Mobil 1 only offers 15,000 and I pay .50 cents more a court for my Amsoil Then I would for mobil 1 and could go 10,000 miles longer... hmmmmm

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
people can use what they want but I wouldnt fall for the marketing hype and spam of amsoil dealers.

pure one filters work great, there is really no reason to spend more.

Purolator PureONE Oil Filter Review – Bestcovery

of course people can post links and data back and forth all day and people will do what they want to do but millions of people use non-amsoil products and there is a reason for that.

since we have amsoil spamming up the site, how long will it be before Nigerian royalty starts spamming up the site next lol :BLAA:

This is the fram I was referring to earlier:

Fram Extra Guard PH8A

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are bonded in place using a thermal adhesive. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap. In practice these seem to leak, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you use this filter and have a noisy valve train at startup, the filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak when they should be closed. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin-looking backplate. There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.

i am sure there is nothing wrong with amsoil but there is nothing wrong with mobil1 and it is cheaper and more convenient.

Last edited:

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
...... since we have amsoil spamming up the site, how long will it be before Nigerian royalty starts spamming up the site next lol :BLAA:.........

How has Amsoil spammed the site? There was a thread I started about me offering Amsoil to members at discount, I revived a thread from last month about an AMSOIL product. And I added my thoughts on the merits of Purolator filters and cautioned against their motorcycle specific filters in a Purolator thread.

:BLAA: and that's an awesome smilie

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How has Amsoil spammed the site? There was a thread I started about me offering Amsoil to members at discount, I revived a thread from last month about an AMSOIL product. And I added my thoughts on the merits of Purolator filters and cautioned against their motorcycle specific filters in a Purolator thread.

Again, with the deception.

Every post you have made on the site is about amsoil. Did you join to hock your product or did you join to talk about fz6's? Heck you even bumped up an old thread hocking your oil.

Post up some photos of your fz6, I bet it is nice.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

:welcome:
Have to be honest, I thought you were spamming the site too, until Dennis (Admin) let us know that you had his ok. Thanks for offering a product at below retail :thumbup:

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Have to be honest, I thought you were spamming the site too, until Dennis (Admin) let us know that you had his ok. Thanks for offering a product at below retail :thumbup:

Thank you. As I've said this is not My job like some other dealers that claim to be "the top 1% of sales and they make x amount of $ doing it" blah blah blah.

This is part of what I do

l.jpg

38428_416706380911_645375911_4529586_893713_n.jpg

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

oh okay ,so it is not just some random guy spamming the site.

i still will not drink the kool-aide but i know some do :)

I plan to stick with mobil1 for my car and valvoline motorcycle oil for the bike :)

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site

I plan to stick with mobil1 for my car and valvoline motorcycle oil for the bike :)

If you don't mind me asking how often do you change the oil in the bike and how much does a change with valvoline cost? Also have you tried Mobil1 in the bike?

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I would love to see pics of this AMG as well. I find it hard that someone owns an FZ6, $150,000 AMG, and a old Hyundai..... Something just doesn't go together there. Also did you miss the price I posted? Mobil 1 is not cheaper and you mention hype.......

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to see pics of this AMG as well. I find it hard that someone owns an FZ6, $150,000 AMG, and a old Hyundai..... Something just doesn't go together there. Also did you miss the price I posted? Mobil 1 is not cheaper and you mention hype.......

I see where your going but.he never said he had a amg. He said his car has a s/c amg motor (im guessing a chrystler srt.6) never claimed he had a fz6 and also you can get amgs for $15000 used all day.long

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see where your going but.he never said he had a amg. He said his car has a s/c amg motor (im guessing a chrystler srt.6) never claimed he had a fz6 and also you can get amgs for $15000 used all day.long

good point on the amg being just the motor as far as the fz6 it says 08 blue. It says you are using Tapatalk so you can't see the left side and photos right? When I think of AMG and worth mentioning I think newer cars. The $15,000 would be 2000 or older woudn't they?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya i cant see that stuff but it just depends on what model amg really some ppl think of amg like the car it self when really its merc's performance division just like ss to chevy, svt to ford, nismo to nissan etc etc etcetc