A tip for selling your cycle

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine put his bike up for sale. About 4 days ago, He had a guy come over to see it and take it for a test ride. He brought boots, leather jacket, gloves, helmet, and Reflective vest. He said the gear looked like it has been worn for a while. All signs showed a rider that is in the military, so he never checked his license for a Class M. (not sure what its called outside the states) The bike was at the beginning of the 50ft driveway. He got on the bike and killed it twice. He asked if something was wrong with the clutch. (This would of made me wonder) My friend said nope, and thought nothing of it. (takes time to get used to a different cycle) Then he actually got it going, and went to go along the slight curve of the driveway, ended up going into the grass. The bike fell on him and broke his leg.

The funny thing is, after they got the bike off of him, he handed his wife his wallet, cell phone, and one of those Bank envelopes with the money to buy the bike. No damage done to the bike, just chunks of grass.

Tip: Check for the right motorcycle license and make sure the person interested actually has enough riding experience if you gonna let him test drive it.

Tip: Maybe have him give you the money before he takes it out. (steal it or crash it)

When I sold my last bike, my rule was that they put the actual cash in my hot little hand until they returned from the test ride. If they dropped it (my bike had never been dropped) or crashed it - they automatically bought it.

Glad that the purchaser was level headed and didn't end up suing the the seller!
Ack!

Here is one for you........

I'm selling my 2-stroke KTM and I live in the city. Test ride in the alley and hope we put it away before the cops show up? Since the m-class does not apply, I guess my only option is to hold cash or simply ride it in front of him/her for a short time. Hmm...

it's a no wonder why most dealers don't offer test rides on new bikes. Geesh, now I'm thinking if I ever have to sell, I might have contract language for the test ride. Does anyone offer to take prospective buyer double up instead?

excellent advise! also maybe asking what the experience level of the rider is, that could have been borrowed gear or bought used to save money for his first bike, You know what happens when you ASSume...

When I bought my bike, the owner made me try test riding it. I had zero experience on a street bike, so I did a quick circle around our trailers and stopped.

Something I learned about 6 years ago was this. Never ever let a potential buyer take your bike for a test ride. I mean NEVER. They can start it, sit on it but never ride it.

What you tell them is that you will guarantee the bike for the first 10 to 15 minutes of THEIR ownership. That way if they wreck it's their problem, not yours:thumbup:

Back