600 mile service -Expectations?

Reaction score
Visit site
It's said to be "around $250". I spoke with them today and asked for some specifics, he basically said they will inspect and tighten bolts, change the oil and filter, adjust chain,clutch,controls .....actually sound pretty thorough.
I'm eager to work on the bike myself, but I feel it "deserves" the once over...at least once by the dealer. Maybe that's retarded but....if I sleep better then I guess it's worth the money.
For some reason I feel like as a new rider, I've really beat up the gearbox and need a "pro" to tell me all is well. Typical newbie stuff ( I'm hoping), few 1st gear stalls, few missed gears, down shift to 1st gear,trying to shift to 7th gear at 75 mph......etc.
:scared:

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
$250 for a first service is preety steep if u ask me. But I dont think there is a lot of tightening to do cause the bike is relatively new. As for the gears, just need getting used to only.

troutfishinemt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the hijack king tonight -

Why would your mark the filter and how?

It doesn't have to be changed every time you change the oil, right?

I swore up and down when I bought my bike back in June that I would do these things myself - it's an 07 with around 1500k on it...

And the dealership said they would make sure they did a "pre-purchase" used bike oil/filter change, check/tighten everything, and lube the chain...

But I'm not sure they did any of it - the fact that made me feel as though they were dishonest/made me a little leery of their practices among others, is that the spare key that was missing never showed up with the bike (my answer to that was "well, there's a place right up the road that can do it for five bucks - no biggie") and more importantly - I didn't care about spending a few bucks for the new key...

The bike came with no owner's manual. When I asked about THAT, Mister slick-ass salesman said "oh, you can just download that on the net, no worries."

CAN I do that (download the MOM online)? I'm sure there's a link on how to do so somewhere here.

But to sum it up, I have a bike I bought with less than 1k on the clock, have put around 600 more miles on it, and now am wondering about the oil/filter change... lubing the chain I KNOW I need to do, and have thoroughly researched that (I have some teflon spray) - I'll look that one up again and post in a thread regarding that if I have any questions...

I also have a jug of Rotella dino oil to use when it comes to changing out the oil, but not a new filter; was told the filter didn't have to be changed every time...

I'm SO sorry for this hijack (again), but does anyone have any feedback/answers on this one?

They're not totally different questions than the OP asked, just personal to me, and not helpful to him (other than saying "I'm kinda' in the same boat".)

I feel as if I'm a new rider too, to paraphrase him.
Certainly feel new when it comes to the maintenance/upkeep!

Also, I'm off to knee-draggers.com find a suitable jacket to wear now that the FL weather has turned cold... I've been a bit chilly the last few rides I was out on... God, this really is a complete hijack, now... sorry, bro.

Keep the rubber side down, and good luck - anyone with info for me or him either one would be great.

Peace,

TF

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the hijack king tonight -

Why would your mark the filter and how?

I swore up and down when I bought my bike back in June that I would do these things myself - it's an 07 with around 1500k on it...

And the dealership said they would make sure they did a \"pre-purchase\" used bike oil/filter change, check/tighten everything, and lube the chain...

But I'm not sure they did any of it - the fact that made me feel as though they were dishonest/made me a little leery of their practices among others, is that the spare key that was missing never showed up with the bike (my answer to that was \"well, there's a place right up the road that can do it for five bucks - no biggie\") and more importantly - I didn't care about spending a few bucks for the new key...

The bike came with no owner's manual. When I asked about THAT, Mister slick-ass salesman said \"oh, you can just download that on the net, no worries.\"

CAN I do that (download the MOM online)? I'm sure there's a link on how to do so somewhere here.

But to sum it up, I have a bike I bought with less than 1k on the clock, have put around 600 more miles on it, and now am wondering about the oil/filter change... lubing the chain I KNOW I need to do, and have thoroughly researched that (I have some teflon spray) - I'll look that one up again and post in a thread regarding that if I have any questions...

I also have a jug of Rotella dino oil to use when it comes to changing out the oil, but not a new filter; was told the filter didn't have to be changed every time...

I'm SO sorry for this hijack (again), but does anyone have any feedback/answers on this one?

They're not totally different questions than the OP asked, just personal to me, and not helpful to him (other than saying \"I'm kinda' in the same boat\".)

I feel as if I'm a new rider too, to paraphrase him.
Certainly feel new when it comes to the maintenance/upkeep!

Also, I'm off to knee-draggers.com find a suitable jacket to wear now that the FL weather has turned cold... I've been a bit chilly the last few rides I was out on... God, this really is a complete hijack, now... sorry, bro.

Keep the rubber side down, and good luck - anyone with info for me or him either one would be great.

Peace,

TF

You mark the oil filter so when you get your bike back from the dealer there will be proof that they actually changed your filter and not just your oil. I change my oil filter everytime I change my oil... it's cheap insurance. If you're not sure about your bike's service history... change your oil & filter now for piece of mind if anything else...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, if it helps you sleep at night, have the dealer do it.

I was like that at first...then $320 after the first service, I've never slept better than figuring it out on my own and doing it myself...saving hundreds!

mabbott

Reaction score
Visit site

OK, you DO want to change your filter as most filters are designed to only do the job for a certain period of time. If you are changing your oil every 3,000 miles or 6 months then you want to change the filter as well. The exception to this would be if you have a lifetime filter that is designed to be cleaned every oil change.

I don't do a lot of city miles on my bike and I am changing my oil almost every three months, I always put on a new filter as it is not expensive and it is better for the bike. I am sure you could not change the filter, but I don't see why you wouldn't want to, it is very easy.

You can get your manual online from Yamaha, just register your bike on their website. Also, do a search you can get the service manual online as well. Mine has been helpful learning to do more things by myself.

Hopefully, this helps!