600 Mile Service - Dealer or Self???

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched and didn't really find any threads that directly addressed this.

I'm due for my 600 mile service in about 150 miles, or two weeks. I downloaded the FZ6 Service Manual and out of all of the steps to be performed, the only one I don't know how to do is the Fuel Injection synchronization.

When I bought the bike the salesdude said the 600 mile service was about $175! OUCH! That is a very expensive oil change. I confirmed that price with the service department too.

So I guess the question is, do I do it myself, or pony up to the dealership?

The follow on question is what tools do I need to check the FI Sync, and how difficult is it to do?

Thanks! :thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it your self, the money you save will prob. buy the tools you need and i think the service manual shoulld be clear enough on how to do it.

wait isn't it the throttle body sync? I remeber seeing a thread or two on here how to do it.
I think it was just a vacuum gauge/tester.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK the first service on most cars and bikes is free. All I paid for was the fluids.:thumbup:

I think they used to be free back in the '80's. I remember the dealer telling save it for you 600 mile service and we'll take care of it. Maybe I'm think of a car instead???

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

gamestone

Reaction score
www.gamestone.co.uk
In the UK the first service on most cars and bikes is free. All I paid for was the fluids.:thumbup:

Only if you take it to the place you bought it, I had mine delivered from a dealer 200 miles away and just had it serviced locally last week for £95 (£55 of that was labour).

I would have done it myself but its the stamp in the service book that adds value when you come to sell it.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The dealer gave me 20% off the first maintainance service - I ended up coughing up $170. I also did not have all the tools so I figured, I'd let the techs handle it for me.

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily where i got mine, the dealer is covering the first 2 years of maintance and any faulty parts. I save my money there by letting them do it and buy the tools they r using so i can do it myself later when my warranty ends.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
well then you are a lucky S.O.B. it is going to be about $200 up in my neck of the woods. I will probably handle mine myself.

It is also free in Ireland. We dont pay anything other than the extras that are not included in the normal service. But I bought my new bike in the UK (Northern Ireland) so I had to pay a bit compared to the Republic of Ireland.

That price (170 or 200 dollars) is a RIP OFF!!! Do it yourself or make friends with a mechanic that can give you a stamp in your warrenty book (at least for the first service)

Oil, filters and grease is all that is required for the first service...at most a 30 minute job...and not worth that price your being quoted.

Cheaper to do it yourself. Although I'd start saving for the 6,000 mile service...I would certainly get a garage to do that...after that you can do your own!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll make you a deal. I'll help you synch your throttle bodies if you let me use the tool to synch mine.

Fred

Deal! Consider it ordered! Thanks Fred! :D

I'm think of doing the service in about 2 weeks.

I'll pm you as we get closer.