600 mile service -Expectations?

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
(I'm bring my FZ6 in for it's 1st service next week at approx. 550 miles. I'm returing to the dealership I bought the bike at (Motoworld of El Cajon, San Diego CA) and I'm planning on waiting with the bike and watchig the quoted "up to 2-3 hour service". "

WHAT should I look for & expect to be done?:confused: I'm mainly sticking around to try and learn a little about the bike from the tech's as I'm new to bikes...I'm also in love with it and plan to make sure they treat her with the respect she is due....:spank:

THANKS!

Last edited:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was 200 dollars and they made a couple of adjustments, cables, and thats about it. They said they change the oil but it was questionable. Mark your oil filter with a knife or screwdriver. Some places claim that you can't be in the maintenance area because of insurance reasons so you may not be able to watch. You might want to start a tool collection if you don't have much, there are a lot of helpful people here, and manuals.

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Do it yourself....

1) Change oil & filter
2) Check nuts and bolts
3) Save a few 100 dollars
4) Ride bike
Do you have to pay for the 600 service? In the UK it's free as long as you return to the dealer that sold the bike, you only pay for the oil and filter.
I marked the filter and specified Yamalube, the filter was changed and I received what was left in the container.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Yup, in the US we have to pay. I agree with what others have said, mark your filter or better yet, DIY. Its not too hard and a great way to begin learning more about your bike. The bonus part is you can save a fair amount of money in the process. Just be sure to save your receipts for the oil and the filter.

Reaction score
Visit site
So it sounds like the servie is pretty basic...I was under the impresssion that would change ALL the fluids, adjust the brakes and clutch, etc......

Marking the Oil Filter is a good idea......

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have to pay for the 600 service? In the UK it's free as long as you return to the dealer that sold the bike, you only pay for the oil and filter.
I marked the filter and specified Yamalube, the filter was changed and I received what was left in the container.

First service in Canada is not free either.... About $200... here.

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
At last, could this be an end to Rip Off Britain? Usually everything here costs more.:cheer:

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
hm, mines free here in spore, for the engine oil....only need to pay for the oil filter, n they did all the tightening of screws free of charge...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
So it sounds like the servie is pretty basic...I was under the impresssion that would change ALL the fluids, adjust the brakes and clutch, etc......

Marking the Oil Filter is a good idea......

The brakes are hydraulic. They adjust automatically each time you use them. The only clutch adjustment is the cable free-play at the lever.

Read your manual, and do it yourself. It'll save you a LOT of money, and if/when something happens, you'll know how to fix it rather than potentially getting stranded on the side of the road.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
+1 on do it yourself. My first service was $325 USD. RIP OFF

I'm 99% sure all they did was change the oil. I'm collecting tools and my service manual is the most used book in my house. Plus the feeling of satisfaction of doing it yourself and learning.

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you don't plan on doing ANY of your routine maintenance, I agree you should take time to do it yourself. The MOM tells you what needs to be checked and they are just basic maintenance things that you need to learn anyhow. Especially chain and cable adjustments. They will likely just change the oil and charge you money for nothing. That said, IF you owned a bike that needed the valves checked and adjusted at the 600 mile mark, then it would be a good idea to have the 'pros' do it. But that's not the case here. You were wise (or lucky) enough to choose a bike that doesn't really need that until after 12,000 miles.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you don't plan on doing ANY of your routine maintenance, I agree you should take time to do it yourself. The MOM tells you what needs to be checked and they are just basic maintenance things that you need to learn anyhow. Especially chain and cable adjustments. They will likely just change the oil and charge you money for nothing. That said, IF you owned a bike that needed the valves checked and adjusted at the 600 mile mark, then it would be a good idea to have the 'pros' do it. But that's not the case here. You were wise (or lucky) enough to choose a bike that doesn't really need that until after 12,000 miles.

You don't need to touch the valves until 26,000 miles, per the 2004 MOM.

tag1963

Reaction score
Visit site
I would recommend Lee's Cycle Shop. Their honest, dependable and it will cost you half the price to have your oil change and make some minor adjustments. I have 07 FZ 6 that I bought at Fun Bike Center. But I have all my maintenance done at Lee's.

Screwball

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep here in the UK had to pay for oil etc (£35)...
My main gripe about this, is that for all my cars every 1st service has been free (oil, filters labour all included)...
Why are we paying anything for 1st service......

F

FZSex

Hi all,
[FONT=\"Comic Sans MS\"][SIZE=\"2\"](I'm bring my FZ6 in for it's 1st service next week at approx. 550 miles. I'm returing to the dealership I bought the bike at (Motoworld of El Cajon, San Diego CA) and I'm planning on waiting with the bike and watchig the quoted \"up to 2-3 hour service\". \"[/SIZE][/FONT]

WHAT should I look for & expect to be done?:confused: I'm mainly sticking around to try and learn a little about the bike from the tech's as I'm new to bikes...I'm also in love with it and plan to make sure they treat her with the respect she is due....:spank:

THANKS!

Hi guy, I just checked all the bolts and changed the oil. I'll probably bring it in around 6-8k miles though for them to do whatever is necessary at that time and perform the initial service in case anything had loosened in the meantime, etc. So far, zero issues in 4k+ miles

mabbott

Reaction score
Visit site
Changing the oil on an FZ6 is cake! Everything is accessible and it is rewarding to work on your own bike. The internet is your friend, if you get stuck on how to do something, search it and you will find pictures and videos to help you through it. Good luck!

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
[FONT=\\\"Comic Sans MS\\\"][SIZE=\\\"2\\\"](I'm bring my FZ6 in for it's 1st service next week at approx. 550 miles. I'm returing to the dealership I bought the bike at (Motoworld of El Cajon, San Diego CA) and I'm planning on waiting with the bike and watchig the quoted \\\"up to 2-3 hour service\\\". \\\"[/SIZE][/FONT]

THANKS!

How much are they charging you? if you don't mind me asking. I called today to get a quote from a few dealers around L.A. and the cheapest one I got was $180 plus parts, another $50 bucks I was told. I know these dealers rip people off, but at least this one time I want to take it in so that they can sync the throttle bodies, and since I don't have the tools for this it's better for them to do it.