24 hour newbie goes down; seeking feedback

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen for sale devices that are like dolly's that allow the bike to be rotated in place 360deg. The most useful perhaps is you use the centerstand on top of it and simply rotate. It's as low to the ground as possible so you are not lifting the bike to much(hopefully).

Yeah.. the problem with them is that it's hard to get the bike OFF them and people end up dropping bikes that way. (based on reviews I'd read)

In my opinion, you're better off learning to pivot the bike without additional devices.

If anything, the best use for that dolly is the ability to not just rotate the bike, but to freely move it anywhere you want around the garage.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never saw the "kickstand spin", very slick!!!

I do have the "Park and Move" :

Legal Speeding | About Us

http://legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm .

BTW, the video with the Harley has a built in centerstand, you obviously don't need that with the FZ. I did have one wheel fail which they replaced immediatly without question (upgraded wheels), EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Its not hard to use, just lock the wheels on the unit when under the bike and it'll go up or come off fairly easily with the centerstand. And it'll spin on a dime with little effort.

It also comes in handy, if the rear wheel is off and you have to move the bike about the garage.

Last edited:

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
your house sounds just like mine! My driveway is short and steep, and pebbled concrete so its very slick as well, my street also starts downhill at my driveway. I ride my bike forward into my garage and don't have enough room to turn it around either, so like you I sit on it and walk it back down the driveway.

Since my driveway is steep and slick (enough so that I could lock my front brake at the top and slide all the way to the bottom), I kind of pump the front brake quickly to mimic ABS. Using that technique, my front tire stays pretty planted coming down the slope.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok, so your bike has a few scraps on it. Join the club of many people who have dropped their bike. I would try and reverse the bike in the garage if possible.

Erici has posted some great links on how to pivot the bike. Just a word of caution. After 3 months of pivoting my bike around on the side stand the foot has snapped. Its fine as a temporary solution to move the bike but not ideal for day in day out use.
hypegy5a.jpg
good luck, enjoy the learning curve and post your progress.

Neil

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a GSXR. They're like 200lbs. Just pick it up and turn it. :D

I kid. It's stupid easy to turn mine on the side stand tho cause it's so light. I do it from the clutch side, and actually pulled the bike back too far the other day. Started to tip towards me. The bike is so light I seriously just stuck my knee out and caught the bike with my knee on the tank.

But probably shouldn't get a gsxr right now tho... I still haven't had the balls to go 100% throttle on mine in first. Front end won't stay down for nothing. :eek: And I've been riding for awhile.

I've never seen a side stand break like that from spinning the bike. My buddy did it every day for 2-3 years with no problem on his GS500.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
lean forward on the tank so that you're putting more weight on the front wheel, this should help with the tire slipping.

IF I end up trying the backing down thing again, I'll lean forward more. Only issue I could see with this (other than repeating the down bike again) is not getting my feet planted properly. The tire slipping was definitely spooking me.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
The way I see it, you really need to make room in your garage to turn the bike around so you can come out forward.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Failing that, find a new place to live, or leave your bike on the street.

I would probably move before damaging my bike any further. Unless you have a wife/kids and tons of stuff then you might as well sell the motorcycle. JK

Get a GSXR. They're like 200lbs. Just pick it up and turn it. :D
But probably shouldn't get a gsxr right now tho... I still haven't had the balls to go 100% throttle on mine in first. Front end won't stay down for nothing. :eek: And I've been riding for awhile.

Awesome, I sat on an R1 today and started doing the math to figure out if there was a way I could get one. I think a supersport would be a lot of fun. I just don't fit on Gixxer's the way they cut the knee slots for the side of the tanks it digs into the side of my legs and I can't get a good grip.

IF I end up trying the backing down thing again, I'll lean forward more. Only issue I could see with this (other than repeating the down bike again) is not getting my feet planted properly. The tire slipping was definitely spooking me.

I back out of my friends driveway a couple times of week. I just get a good rolling speed (5mph-ish or less) on and then use the front brake to control things. The trick is when the driveway meets the street. I try to hit that perpendicular and then I cut the bars to keep momentum going backwards down hill while using the brake. Ohh I forgot I have the bike in first and when I feel just right I give the bike a little gas and feather the clutch to finish stopping and start to take off. If you get the timing right there isn't much time to mess up. It was a little sketch the first couple of times I did it but now is easy.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes it's really tricky. At least you don't have an 800lb cruiser. I use a real light touch on the front brake, dragging it with one finger to keep the bike under control backwards.

Being able to flat foot the bike will lower the risk factor as well. There are mods to the bike for that and maybe your riding boots.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, I sat on an R1 today and started doing the math to figure out if there was a way I could get one. I think a supersport would be a lot of fun. I just don't fit on Gixxer's the way they cut the knee slots for the side of the tanks it digs into the side of my legs and I can't get a good grip.

Yeah, they're designed so you sit further back in the seat. I usually sit more forward on bikes cause I'm short, and the GSXR is not comfortable that way. At all. Man was not intended to sit on his taint, the controls require you to be a contortionist, and it's almost impossible to not lock your arms.

But when I scoot back, my knees unfold, the controls become easier to use, and I'm sitting on my butt, not my taint. Much better ride all around. It's actually comfortable that way. At least for an hour or so. :thumbup:

I'd try it on the R1 if you ever get one. I'm sure it isn't much different on design.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After 3 months of pivoting my bike around on the side stand the foot has snapped. Its fine as a temporary solution to move the bike but not ideal for day in day out use.
hypegy5a.jpg

Wow that's a shame. Can't help, but notice thought that the sidestand looks quite rusty. Was it rusty before the foot snapped? that would explain the weak/brittle material.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Um, my GSXR is no different than the fazer to move instead of a side handle it has this seat strap. You just need to practice moving it. When I would have to maneuver out of a spot and someone would ask to help I would say no. It's just a learning thing and once you get good at it it's easier to pull it out of parking spots and take off than to back it up with your feet.

Pardon the mess, it's front, rear sprocket , chain and tuneup time :)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
And once you learn to ride a super sport and your not doing a Vulcan death grip on the handle bars, they really arnt that uncomfortable.

Like the stock FZ seat, a aftermarket gel seat would go along way. Along with grips

Sco

Reaction score
Visit site
I find it easier to move or walk the bike forward or backward if the engine is running. Anyone else?

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely suggest making space in the garage to do a 3 or 15 point turn, From what the pics look like my garage is possibly narrower, and flanked on both sides with workbenches, shelves, surplus remodeling supplies, and kids toys and bicycles. I use my basement door to turn mine. I pull in an point it so that when I start to back up I can open the basement door and back the rear end into there (bike off of course) then try to wiggle it in to position to pull straight out the next time I need to go. The extra space provided by the doorway usually makes this only 3 or 4 points. It definitely taught me how to man handle the bike.

When I first got my bike I laid it down twice. Once at a gas station and once at an intersection. I can flat foot my bike but each time I laid it down I came to a stop and the ground was not level and when I expected my foot to hit the ground on the left it didn't and the bike and I just went over. I was able to lay it down gently (pulling a few back muscles in the process), but the 2 or 3 inch difference on the one side caused enough instability for me to lose it. Hills are tricky no matter how much seat time you have but once you experience them you now have the tools to change your encounters with them for the better.
Welcome :thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I envy guys that can flat foot sport bikes. Even after I lowered my FZ6 I couldn't flat foot. I barely tip-toe my GSXR and the VFR800 I have.

If I had known my wife would stop riding with me really, I'd just stuck with the monster. It's the only sport bike I can flat foot. Shoot even the cruiser I got I couldn't flat foot cause of the pipe arrangement. Flat footing it required putting my leg against the pipes.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I envy guys that can flat foot sport bikes. Even after I lowered my FZ6 I couldn't flat foot. I barely tip-toe my GSXR and the VFR800 I have.

If I had known my wife would stop riding with me really, I'd just stuck with the monster. It's the only sport bike I can flat foot. Shoot even the cruiser I got I couldn't flat foot cause of the pipe arrangement. Flat footing it required putting my leg against the pipes.

At 6'4" with a 34" inseam, I flat foot just about every bike I've ever sat on even a Hypermotard at 35" seat height.

I envy guys that can comfortably tuck on a bike and whose knees aren't up in their ribs. Ohh and that they are so snug on the bike that it makes them look like one. Ohh an one more thing who don't have to deal with wind buffeting that wants to lift you off the bike like a human sail.