24 hour newbie goes down; seeking feedback

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I was able to lay it down gently (pulling a few back muscles in the process), but the 2 or 3 inch difference on the one side caused enough instability for me to lose it.

OMG -- finally glad that someone mentioned this -- I felt like crap on Monday morning. I could barely move (not a person known to work out). Felt like I'd pulled muscle in my body. Figured I'd done it letting the bike down easy.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
At 6'4" with a 34" inseam, I flat foot just about every bike I've ever sat on even a Hypermotard at 35" seat height.

I envy guys that can comfortably tuck on a bike and whose knees aren't up in their ribs. Ohh and that they are so snug on the bike that it makes them look like one. Ohh an one more thing who don't have to deal with wind buffeting that wants to lift you off the bike like a human sail.

Ain't that the truth. I love my fz6, but my next bike will have more legroom for sure. There aren't many that I find have the legroom to make it comfy other than the dual sport tourers like the tigers. Heck, I felt like I had to hoist my leg to get it over one of those big BMW's, but I could still flat foot it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At 6'4" with a 34" inseam, I flat foot just about every bike I've ever sat on even a Hypermotard at 35" seat height.

I envy guys that can comfortably tuck on a bike and whose knees aren't up in their ribs. Ohh and that they are so snug on the bike that it makes them look like one. Ohh an one more thing who don't have to deal with wind buffeting that wants to lift you off the bike like a human sail.

Try KTM RC8. My buddy is 6' 5" and he says it's the only sport bike he's comfortable on :don'tknow:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG -- finally glad that someone mentioned this -- I felt like crap on Monday morning. I could barely move (not a person known to work out). Felt like I'd pulled muscle in my body. Figured I'd done it letting the bike down easy.

Probably trying to lift it. Us guys tend to try and he-man that bike back up. There's a proper method to lift a bike. Vids are on youtube, but the tube is blocked at work so I can't find it for you.

And I can't imagine flat footing. I mean, I'm 5'8" but even lowered I can't flat foot anything. Seats are too wide. I'm just used to starting and stopping with one foot.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably trying to lift it. Us guys tend to try and he-man that bike back up. There's a proper method to lift a bike. Vids are on youtube, but the tube is blocked at work so I can't find it for you.

And I can't imagine flat footing. I mean, I'm 5'8" but even lowered I can't flat foot anything. Seats are too wide. I'm just used to starting and stopping with one foot.
Same height here and that's what I usually do. Left foot usually goes down.

And lift with your legs guys! I know we all know that, but in the heat of the moment you just do whatever you can to keep it up. *That's what she said*

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I envy guys that can flat foot sport bikes. Even after I lowered my FZ6 I couldn't flat foot. I barely tip-toe my GSXR and the VFR800 I have.

If I had known my wife would stop riding with me really, I'd just stuck with the monster. It's the only sport bike I can flat foot. Shoot even the cruiser I got I couldn't flat foot cause of the pipe arrangement. Flat footing it required putting my leg against the pipes.

You're braver than I, I don't know if I'd ride a bike I couldn't flat foot. You have to be extra careful at stop signs/intersections huh?

What OP should do, obviously, is ride backwards down the hill, wheelie, spin in place, and take off. This message is not FDA approved.

:ban:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're braver than I, I don't know if I'd ride a bike I couldn't flat foot. You have to be extra careful at stop signs/intersections huh?

What OP should do, obviously, is ride backwards down the hill, wheelie, spin in place, and take off. This message is not FDA approved.

:ban:

It's not that bad. Dirt bikes cannot be flat-footed (by most). Seats are up in the stratosphere. You get used to sliding off the seat to one side to plant your foot.
Of course it helps that they weigh just over 200 pounds.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I supposed I'm just spoiled by being tall...I've never really given that sort of thing much thought. I think I can flat foot my buddies ktm (200 I think?), and I think I could flat foot my cr125. But I know what you're saying. When I'm stopped on the roads I always have just one foot on the ground, right foot on the rear brake to keep the light lit up...sometimes tap dancing on it to make sure the cager sees me. I typically keep it in gear if no cars are stopped behind me, in case I have to get out of the way in a hurry. I think getting rear-ended is what I'm most paranoid about.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
couldnt flatfoot my bike (on both sides) if my life depended on it. I refuse to get it lowered because my next bike will probably be a bigger one which i will lower, hoping to get to the same height i am at now, so it's good practice (has been for the last 2 years, so i manage just fine)

the whole moving it back and forward and not falling and all that stuff all comes down to experience. When i just got it, i couldn't handle the weight very my well but now i toss and turn my bike around into the smallest parkingspace if i have to, so just keep practicing :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I'm stopped on the roads I always have just one foot on the ground, right foot on the rear brake to keep the light lit up...sometimes tap dancing on it to make sure the cager sees me. I typically keep it in gear if no cars are stopped behind me, in case I have to get out of the way in a hurry. I think getting rear-ended is what I'm most paranoid about.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Exactly what I do too. It's not even about being paranoid.. it's about stacking the odds in your favor :)

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: :thumbup: Exactly what I do too. It's not even about being paranoid.. it's about stacking the odds in your favor :)

Yeah, I like the way you put it better. I figure the safest way to ride is to assume everyone is texting and has no idea you are there. I took a defensive driving class/test that was part of training for driving company vehicles a few jobs back, and a lot of what they taught applies to riding. Constantly check your mirrors, have exit strategies, and never assume you know what the other person is going to do.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I owe an MSF instructor in this thread a photo of my driveway and will post that tomorrow. I always think to photograph it when it's dark.

Regarding turning the FZ6 around and pointing out of the garage / down the driveway -- I finally did that today. I had no problem other than trying to back the bike uphill to point it downhill. My neighbor (into whose driveway I stopped) had all four of his/her cars parked today.

I did NOT use the kickstand method, just some back/forth, although I did get right up against the right side of the garage door and went out diagonally down the driveway at first. I need to work on slow skills / turning the bike around. Also more garage cleanup.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Where I park in my garage, I have to ride between my car and my wife's Jeep to get to my parking place. That pretty much means no backing in for me. When I pull out, I come out at an angle with the back tire pointing to the side of the driveway. When I stop, I'm completely sideways in the driveway, that way when I start off I am riding straight down the driveway (I have a steep driveway as well, but it's flat next to the house. I never take my hand off of the front brake, but be careful not to grab too much or you could lock up the front tire.

Not sure if this would help as I've not seen any pics of your driveway, but it works for me.

BTW, I'm in Lawrenceville, we should get together and ride sometime. There are several people on here from the Atlanta area, and every one of them that I've met are really great guys to ride with.

Last edited:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the driveway I've conquered. I usually move the Honda, go out forward now and turn right up the road to turn around in a cul-de-sac.

Thanks to those who recommended just cleaning up the garage enough to turn around. I spend about 2-3 minutes turning the bike around every time I come in so it's ready to go again, and I've had no trouble.

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you just need to practice more. I move bikes all time up and down a 30-degree, 1- feet wide "driveway" without problems (imagine the back of a truck with a flat sloping threshold, just half the width though). You'll get used to it.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
The slope out of your garage looks about like the one in front of mine. There's no way I can back up the bike into the garage, and there's no room to turn it around in there. I don't like rolling backward fifty or so feet, so I back out (on or off the bike, doesn't matter) using the front brake the whole time, turning the bike so it's perpendicular to the driveway as soon as I get out the door (making sure I pay attention to the slope), then I keep backing up until the back wheel is just on the lawn. Then I can start up the bike and turn left at the top of the driveway and ride down the hill. I do this procedure slowly because the driveway is gravel and sloped, and I'm short with floppy girl muscles.

Well, that's what works for me.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
My driveway is just as steep, just not as long. I always get on the bike and slowly roll it down with my hand on the clutch and using the front brake with my feet down. Personally I think it's harder walking it down, then rolling it with me on it. It will take you some practice, but you'll get it. Just take your time.