1st stunt attempted... FAIL. Is this fixable?

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang I just ordered Frame Sliders and now I'm starting to wonder if I should send them back... I'm a first time rider for Sport bikes and thought that the frame sliders would help me in those embarrassing moments. Since I am Short( 5'5") I worry about having to lay it down while stopped if I cant get my footing, I'm on my toes as it is, luckily Florida is rather flat lol. This is even more reason for me not to try this at home...

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang I just ordered Frame Sliders and now I'm starting to wonder if I should send them back... I'm a first time rider for Sport bikes and thought that the frame sliders would help me in those embarrassing moments. Since I am Short( 5'5") I worry about having to lay it down while stopped if I cant get my footing, I'm on my toes as it is, luckily Florida is rather flat lol. This is even more reason for me not to try this at home...

they will help in a drop like that.
put them on.
get a dirt bike to stunt on.....

if you're short, dont forget to lower the shock pre-load to get a few millimeters.
check the manual for that.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

Don't kid yourself. Go with the frame sliders. My extended OES Accessories frame sliders saved my ass twice in two months. Granted in both cases they were slow speed crash, but in a bigger accident you're pretty much screwed either way.

If you decided to get the extended OES, it's not listed. You have to put in the note that you want the extended version and you're ok with paying extra cost ($8 I think).

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/33436-i-think-i-found-perfect-frame-sliders.html

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They saved my frame last week.

crash1.jpg

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
if your gonna do the work yourself get a new frame for piece of mind mate,
personally i would be ringing the insurance company but leaving out that i was hooning doing donuts and wheelies :D. as far as frame sliders go like most people have already said depends on the crash this is taken from the oggy knobs website

Product Disclaimer

Given the variety of circumstances and conditions involving motorcycle accidents, no guarantee, implied or expressed, is made by the manufacturers or their agents in relation to the performance of this product in the event of a motorcycle accident

my concern is this just an issue with Yamaha frames ?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Old thread I know!

Just some thoughts:
The frame is cast, welding a frame of this type requires heat treating when done to relieve the stress so small fractures don't take over and create a crack adjacent to the new weld. They can be welded but there is more work and more risk. Simply its not worth it unless you know of someone with an oven big enough to stick the whole frame in. Now paint and stickers and plastic must be redone. . . Although it may be possible to heat the local area, weld it, heat it again and then cool it real slow.

It seems to me that the bikes design makes it more vulnerable than some designs. The shear stress imposed upon the ONE bolt entering the frame and engine is huge when contact occurs! At a bare minimum the bikes weight itself; compound this by speed, friction of the surface, any irregular areas like curbs and pot holes and something will give! Ideally a someone should be smart enough to make frame sliders that have shear sections such that if the composed of 2 segments, the very end hits an immobile object it shears. I say this specifically for frame designs like the FZ using an anchor bolt (engine mount) as an attachment. This is NOT an ideal place to put a slider but its the quickest and cheapest way to go vs making a bracket spanning the engine mounts and placing the sliders there.

The bike which lost its mounting boss from the engine block seems to be the worst off. . . (SUCK)!

So some of you think that if you crash your car at 15mph there should be NO damage???? And you think that crashing a bike 40 you'll be out a set of bars and slider??? **** will break! Period! Granted, some will be smooth and just slide down the track. That's an unrealistic expectation on the street. The street has WAY to many variables. . .

I think if I put sliders on my FZ I may chuck them up in lathe and cut 2 groves in them 15mm apart or so to weaken them so they snap if I hit something solid at speed. . . :thumbup: hopefuly leaving the next segment to take another dose of punishment!

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it wrong of me to think that the sliders are primarily there to prevent scratches from sliding, rather than dents from impacts? ;)

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Beyond contrary Belief Sawblade, these bikes are NOT good for mudding.

I had some Uncaged sliders on my 04 FZ6. They were an aluminum metal base with a delrin tip the screwed onto the end of them. A mechanic riding my bike clipped a semi doing about 120 on the interstate. Folded the slider at a 90 degree angle, and cracked the frame. I think its more about the force from the initial impact, or the consecutive impacts if the bike tumbles, more so than the "sliding".

Picture is the slider after he wrecked the bike a 2nd time while it was still in his possession, go go fail mechanic who thinks he is a stunter!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Beyond contrary Belief Sawblade, these bikes are NOT good for mudding.

I had some Uncaged sliders on my 04 FZ6. They were an aluminum metal base with a delrin tip the screwed onto the end of them. A mechanic riding my bike clipped a semi doing about 120 on the interstate. Folded the slider at a 90 degree angle, and cracked the frame. I think its more about the force from the initial impact, or the consecutive impacts if the bike tumbles, more so than the "sliding".

Picture is the slider after he wrecked the bike a 2nd time while it was still in his possession, go go fail mechanic who thinks he is a stunter!

What's up Random? What ever came of that situation? Did they make it right?

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Settled with my insurance, they totaled out the bike, and sued the shop since they were not insured. About 6 months ago I got my deductible back =).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Frame sliders are just a cosmetic addition, imo. Do you really think a delrin frame slider will protect your machine if you lay it down? Unless you are dropping your bike from a stop frame sliders aren't likely to do much. Having a 3-4" protrusion on the engine anchoring point is an invitation for it to dig in and wrench the mounting tab off, which is what happened in these cases. If the slider was attached directly to the frame without the engine mounting point being involved it may be acceptable, but exposing your engine mount like this is more trouble than it is worth.
I have had two crashes with frame sliders, both at low speed < 40mph. Each time the sliders saved me from damage. I guess it depends on the severity of impact.
IMO the FZ6 frame (whilst being a thing of beauty and genius engineering) is a bit of an Achilles heel. I know that there was an issue with Yamaha's own band sliders causing frame failure.
In fairness there is still very few frame failures that we know about.
I wonder if this could be a batch issue?

Nelly