07-09 Mirror extenders

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW !! Ordered Friday AM, Shipped Friday PM, Arrived in Houston Monday AM, Fitted Monday PM.

They were so easy to fit, even for a mechanical luddite like me :)

Haven't tried riding with them yet, but from sitting on the bike they look great.

Thanks.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW !! Ordered Friday AM, Shipped Friday PM, Arrived in Houston Monday AM, Fitted Monday PM.

They were so easy to fit, even for a mechanical luddite like me :)

Haven't tried riding with them yet, but from sitting on the bike they look great.

Thanks.

Here's an update. They are GREAT. After so long of not having useful mirrors I need to get back into the habit of actually looking in them.

Thanks again

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Same experience here....ordered late Thursday, rode home in flurries to find them in the mailbox on Monday.

20 minutes to install - beginning to end - with no prior fairing experience.

Slick design and very creative solution to the stud "condition."

As the snowfall has only gotten worse and temps are dropping, we'll have to see if tomorrow allows me to log some miles and give more feedback.

But, up to this point, very satisfied!

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Same experience here....ordered late Thursday, rode home in flurries to find them in the mailbox on Monday.

As the snowfall has only gotten worse and temps are dropping, we'll have to see if tomorrow allows me to log some miles and give more feedback.

Thanks, glad you like them and hope the weather clears so you can RIDE:D

Jerry

Trev

Reaction score
Visit site
Want some of these, would be early January 2012 though, Xmas has wiped me out.!

Price including postage to UK..?
Thanks.

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site

Okay, temps were about the lowest I have done thus-far, but roads were *mostly* clear...so off I went.

To be perfectly honest, I was a *little* underwhelmed by the increased visibility - it's improved, for sure, but there is a part of me that hoped I would be invisible in the mirrors and, alas, my elbows still need a slight tuck to see directly behind me.

Now, that is the extent of my criticism.

Because, all-in-all, these extenders DO increase rearward visibility. The workmanship is top-shelf. The service is second-to-none. And - for what you get - the price is unmatched.

I would say the cost-to-benefit ratio is outstanding, and while my vision of the bike equivalent of a rear-view mirror did not come to fruition, I very much appreciate not having to do a dramatic chicken dance with my arms and elbows to get a decent view of what is going on behind me.

Thank you for your ingenuity, your efforts, and your product.

I *would* buy again... :)

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I could have made them a little wider but figured I better not get to carried away with the width cause as fast as some of you go the further out they are the more wind pressure, ha ha.
Glad they worked out almost the way you wanted and thanks for the nice write up:thumbup::D

Jerry

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
I could have made them a little wider but figured I better not get to carried away with the width cause as fast as some of you go the further out they are the more wind pressure, ha ha.
Glad they worked out almost the way you wanted and thanks for the nice write up:thumbup::D

Jerry

I can't help but wonder - and having a tad bit of machinist experience I recognize the huge jump in process difficulty - if providing your extenders with an angle would do the trick....

The stock mirrors mount such that they point forward of the perpendicular to the bike; the extenders push them out to the sides more, but also forward more...

Having them mount such that they angle back towards the perpendicular a tad might maximize the benefit of the extension...

The, of course, you could punch the blocks full of well-placed holes to lighten them.

I didn't study it TOO closely, but the attention I did pay it gave me a headache.

I'd drop a $100 on a prototype...

Last edited:

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
I should have said, "I'd drop $100 *towards* a prototype."

I'm kinda' thinking it would hardly cover your time and expertise... ;)

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Not a bad idea but not having an FZ6 anymore would make it a little hard to make sure everything would fit and it would require new tooling in order to make an angled extender. I wonder if some type of plastic could be used, might be a bit easier to machine. I remember someone making extenders for a Honda out of acrylic and they seemed to work. If you can come up with something send me a sketch, dwg or dxf and I'll see if I can make it.

Jerry

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a bad idea but not having an FZ6 anymore would make it a little hard to make sure everything would fit and it would require new tooling in order to make an angled extender. I wonder if some type of plastic could be used, might be a bit easier to machine. I remember someone making extenders for a Honda out of acrylic and they seemed to work. If you can come up with something send me a sketch, dwg or dxf and I'll see if I can make it.

Jerry

Just ignore me.

I got all my "forwards" and "backwards" and "perpendiculars" screwed-up, and while there is probably still something to adding an angle to the extender, unless someone else can figure out what I was trying to say, there's no way I can make it right now... ;)

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can make these for the FZ1, I bet you would get a ton of more customers as Twisted throttle ones are $70+ shipped.

Gen1 SW-MOTECH mirror wideners (Yamaha FZ1 / FZS1000 Fazer, '01-'05) - SVL.06.501.104 : TwistedThrottle.com

SVL.06.501.104.yamaha.fz1.01-05.mirror.wideners.sw-motech.mra.variotouringscreen.smoke.gray.1.jpg

Gen2 SW-Motech mirror wideners (Yamaha FZ1 '0:cool: - SVL.06.501.10900.B : TwistedThrottle.com

svl_06_501_10900_b_2sm.JPG

svl_06_501_10900_b_3sm.JPG

Last edited:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Judging from the exploded drawings the two are similar but not having an FZ1 to measure I can't be sure mine would fit. Same for the pre 07 FZ6. I just need some photo's of the mirror assembly and the center distance of the mounting studs and I could tell if they would work.

Jerry