R6 Fork Install, Another One

dmsn

Reaction score
Visit site
i aggre about the fender ;)

About the axle and nut i have found also these posts:

Axle inside spacer.
This fits inside the right hand fork leg, and compensates for the fact that the R6 axle is shorter than the FZ6 axle.
You can omit this if you don't mind the axle not being all the way inserted into the left hand fork leg.
On the other hand, if you do use it, the axle bolt threads won't be as far into the axle, so be very careful abut your axle tightening torque.

Either way it's a tradeoff. You decide what is best for your bike.

Look at your left fork leg and you'll see that the axle isn't inserted all the way into the fork leg. That's what the spacer corrects.[/I]

Fred

Another one

I was looking back through this and have to say that you do need the axle shims. If you don't use them, your forks will not be parallel with each other. This will cause premature wear and improper opperation.

The reason for the shims is that the fork mounts in the tripple on the FZ are farther apart than on the R6, so when you mount up the forks on the FZ they are farther apart. That is why there is a gap.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
So I realise this thread was started 4 years ago or so... but it was very well written and Ill likely use it as my follow along if I end up going with the R6S forks.

For those who've done it are there any regrets at all?

I have a line on a set of 2007 R6S forks... well actually the entire front end minus the wheel for $220 USD shipped, I suppose I can just sell all the triple crown stuff on my own. With this ill be ordering a set of spacers from Dako81, This puts my total at $320 shipped which is closer to $360 CAD.

I do lots of commuting, lots of longer range rides, and like to have fun in the corners when I can, no track days planned really. would installing these meet a really wide range of needs?

I've read some things about instability at +100 mph, and buzz in the bars at prolonged highway riding... can anyone who's done this confirm or deny?

I've had my front end hop out on me going round tight corners hitting a bump, and I hate braking on the highway with all the nose dive I get. These make me think that it'd be a reasonable upgrade

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I realise this thread was started 4 years ago or so... but it was very well written and Ill likely use it as my follow along if I end up going with the R6S forks.

For those who've done it are there any regrets at all?

I have a line on a set of 2007 R6S forks... well actually the entire front end minus the wheel for $220 USD shipped, I suppose I can just sell all the triple crown stuff on my own. With this ill be ordering a set of spacers from Dako81, This puts my total at $320 shipped which is closer to $360 CAD.

I do lots of commuting, lots of longer range rides, and like to have fun in the corners when I can, no track days planned really. would installing these meet a really wide range of needs?

I've read some things about instability at +100 mph, and buzz in the bars at prolonged highway riding... can anyone who's done this confirm or deny?

I've had my front end hop out on me going round tight corners hitting a bump, and I hate braking on the highway with all the nose dive I get. These make me think that it'd be a reasonable upgrade

Not sure what those folks had going on. Those items have not been true of mine. From cruise to bikes potential they are stable unless the forks are up the triple too far. See below.

ZERO regrets! Even if it cost you $500 its worth it too me. See thread Tittle: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/42817-best-investment-ever-r6-forks-rides-so-nice.html Also, you might find this worthwhile... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-alternatives-how-install-r1-shock-w-pic.html

As for the forks; Change the oil; 5 wt is OEM, Between 5 Wt and 10 Wt you can alter the reaction time. The 5 wt will react instantly to rough road 7.5 wt is now my favorite. 10 wt if you have smooth roads as it slows the reaction rate enough to beat you a little if roads are too rough. This is not to be confused with damping rates. You obviously have control over those.

Next: i weigh in a 200 ~ 210 lbs w/gear.
Front Sag: 31 ~ 32 mm
Rear Sag: 29 mm (was setting 5 on OEM shock/spring)

Raise the forks in the triple ~ 6 mm for starters. I've had them up to 12 and have settled on 8 mm as the sweet spot. 12 mm makes it tad dicey at speed. Turn is lovable at 8 mm.

2.5 years in I did have an issue with the nose beating me like wood pecker whereby I've nearly dribbled over the center line. I believe the issue may be fixed but I have not ridden it enough. In short 2 years in, I had issues under heavy braking while leaned over on rough roads it would make the nose dribble like a basket ball. I feel this is due to tire, rider and suspension "reacting" as unit. Read the thread.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/51120-crisis-takes-chattering-brakes.html
List of all things: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/51736-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact.html

That's the just of it. For me making the suspension perform to my expectation is a HUGE WIN! The bike is so much fun the way it is now. Very stable, very predictable, no dive under braking/corner braking. Simply - its how it should have been made!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol thanks for all the links, truthfully I've read through those easily 2 times each... I just have a hard time committing to something sometimes.

I've emailed the guy asking for photos, I will likely pull the trigger on them if they look good and he can hold off on shipping for 2 weeks or so ( im in Canada and I wont be getting to my US PO box until the end of march... they hold for 2 weeks then start charging a dollar a day after that).

I feel like that if I go ahead with this ill be opening a can of worms... if ive got the front wheel off I suppose I should replace my tires... put new seals in my calipers etc. haha

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol thanks for all the links, truthfully I've read through those easily 2 times each... I just have a hard time committing to something sometimes.

I've emailed the guy asking for photos, I will likely pull the trigger on them if they look good and he can hold off on shipping for 2 weeks or so ( im in Canada and I wont be getting to my US PO box until the end of march... they hold for 2 weeks then start charging a dollar a day after that).

I feel like that if I go ahead with this ill be opening a can of worms... if ive got the front wheel off I suppose I should replace my tires... put new seals in my calipers etc. haha

If you get the kit from Dak, the only pain point is cutting the fender. And its only a pain if you don't have a air powered rotary file. I cut the fender in maybe 15 min and did a nice job with a large carbide tip rotary file. Beyond that, its simply removing the forks and putting them back.

When I bought mine I opted to dump the fluid before installing them. This may seem more complex than the OEM fork but it too is painless and you just need basic hand tools and small ruler to be successful. See post # 2 ->> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/51736-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact.html it covers both topics.

Because styles and conditions change, I personally would rather opt for something I can tune from the outside. Taking it apart to make a minor adjustment is NOT a reality for me. I'm just not in to it. Coming from dirt bikes which have tunable suspension, I saw the FZ needed a means to dial it in. Its a win in my book!

And yes, for those long rides you could soften it.

dmsn

Reaction score
Visit site
For those who've done it, have you tighten the axle bolt with 9 mm gap?
What torque have you used? 66Nm?
Any problens so far ?

Last edited:

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm "this" close to purchasing some 04 R6 forks and doing this swap on my 07. A couple questions:

1) can i put on the R6 triples and use clip ons?
2) can I use the R6 calipers and rotors with my wheel and get better braking?

I've tinkered around with my Jeep, replacing almost everything and am pretty handy but for some reason I have a lot of questions with this and need some input.

My goal is to have better handling, clip ons and better braking... and of course who doesn't like a project? :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm "this" close to purchasing some 04 R6 forks and doing this swap on my 07. A couple questions:

1) can i put on the R6 triples and use clip ons?
2) can I use the R6 calipers and rotors with my wheel and get better braking?

I've tinkered around with my Jeep, replacing almost everything and am pretty handy but for some reason I have a lot of questions with this and need some input.

My goal is to have better handling, clip ons and better braking... and of course who doesn't like a project? :)

Same brake components so nothing gained there.
If you swap the triple, you loose the bump stops, locking steering, and possibly the switch may not fit. I am not sure on that.

dako81 still sells the complete adapter kit (as of this post), so grab the forks and love the bike. Its worth it!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
JM2C - follow the oem pattern on the fender cutting the opening and moving it straight up...

IDR the actual distance but it was more than an inch straight up. ? Equal to this length perhaps?
51870d1390767231-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-dsc_7600-web-jpg

Just run two tape lines up parallel to each other, likely about the distance (length) of bracket above. Measure equally and cut.
51871d1390767681-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140104_195948_762-web-jpg

As for bolt and torque, its a none issue. The 4 pinch bolts do all the work once axle bolt draws the Assembly together.
I did find the caliper spacers needed to be 0.120" to center the calipers.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Same brake components so nothing gained there.
If you swap the triple, you loose the bump stops, locking steering, and possibly the switch may not fit. I am not sure on that.

^^ S2 FZ has better calipers than early R6. Reference is pad wear. R6 03-04 have equal size leading and trailing pistons. This allows the leading edge of the pads to bite and wear more. The FZ has a slightly smaller leading edge piston which helps the pads wear evenly from end to end.
R6S should be good also.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
JM2C - follow the oem pattern on the fender cutting the opening and moving it straight up...

IDR the actual distance but it was not more than an inch straight up. ? Equal to this length perhaps?
51870d1390767231-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-dsc_7600-web-jpg

Just run two tape lines up parallel to each other, likely about the distance (length) of bracket above. Measure equally and cut. Say 0.80" up.
51871d1390767681-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140104_195948_762-web-jpg

As for bolt and torque, its a none issue. The 4 pinch bolts do all the work once axle bolt draws the Assembly together.
I did find the caliper spacers needed to be 0.120" to center the calipers.
Thanks for posting those pics Randy, I just went out and took this one.
View attachment 56843
I think my cut was two inches tall and a half inch wide.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting those pics Randy, I just went out and took this one.
View attachment 56843
I think my cut was two inches tall and a half inch wide.

I'm just guessing about the ~1.0" cut. I'm sure BD's info is good!

And the attachment is still here! It has the values clearly marked! Enough said...
52961d1398829462-r6-fork-install-another-one-fender-cut-out-template-jpg

If in doubt, don't go all in with rotary file (i.e. play it safe as you can't put it back!)

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got done installing my R6 forks (they've been in my basement for over a year!). The bike already feels way different without even riding it, now I just have to get that front fender mounted. This thread has a a lot of useful info on the fender, thanks!