Yamaha to ditch FZ6 for FZ8?

I was looking at the info about the Mt-03 from the link you gave,and I realized it has the engine from the Raptor 660cc 4-wheeler!! it has a mountain of tourqe for such a light bike.... heres the #'s from the link.... Yamaha MT-03 2008
Category: Naked Bike / Streetfighter

Specifications

Engine
Engine type: Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, single cylinder, 4-valves, SOHC
Displacement: 660 cc
Bore x stroke: 100 x 84.0 mm
Compression ratio: 10.0:1
Maximum power: 35.3 kW (48 PS) @ 6,250 rpm
Maximum torque: 56.2 Nm (5.73 kg-m) @ 5,500 rpm
Lubrication system: Dry sump
Fuel System: Fuel injection
Clutch type: Wet, multiple disc
Ignition system: TCI
Starter system: Electric
Transmission system: Constant mesh, 5-speed
Final transmission: Chain

Chassis
Chassis: Steel tube truss diamond
Front suspension system: Telescopic forks
Front travel: 130 mm
Rear suspension system: Swingarm
Rear travel: 120 mm
Front brake: Dual discs, Ø 298 mm
Rear brake: Single disc, Ø 245 mm
Front tire: 120/70-17
Rear tire: 160/60-17

Dimensions
Length: 2,070 mm
Width: 860 mm
Height: 1,115 mm
Seat height: 805 mm
Wheel base: 1,420 mm
Minimum ground clearance: 200 mm
Dry weight: 174.5 kg
Fuel tank capacity: 15 L
Oil tank capacity: 3.4 L

even sounds like a 4-wheeler!! YouTube - Yamaha MT-03 in action!

that engine is actually the newer 700 raptor engine with a 2mm smaller bore. both of those engines were in the bikes before the quads

Last edited:
If they were going to intro the FZ8, shouldn't it be on the 2010 lineup online or is this another bike that only Europe gets for the first 1 - 2 years?

Glad the FZ1 is still there! :D

Last edited:
C'mon Yamaha, just build this one and be done with it:

Yamaha-fz1prototype.jpg

This came up under Google images when searching "Yamaha fz8"

I'm not sure if it really is the fz8, but it does appear to have a bulkier, and naked front end. Maybe its just my imagination or the angle the picture is taken at, but regardless its a nice Yamaha.

2dlqjv7.jpg

Yeah i realized after i did a little more investigating and it as on a forum talking about fz6's...oh well, i would be embarrassed if i actually cared haha.

Too bad - I liked the 600cc. Plenty for the street, good on insurance (my company goes strictly by displacement).

I did recently pick up a bike powered by a Yamaha Raptor engine (the 660cc carbed one) - a bit of a different animal than the FZ!

das_yamaha.jpg

I started with a Ninja 250, went to a FZ6, FZ8 would be a nice step up the ladder. Especially if it was a little brother to the R1's cross-plane shaft engine!

Anyone heard anything on the FZ8 release? I find it weird that it's a 2010 model and we're almost through Jan. 2010 and there's no word on anything for the FZ8.

Back