New to 600riders, looking for advice on first FZ

heelsfan729

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey 600riders,

Initially posted this in the general discussion section, but then saw this thread and thought it'd be more appropriate. Sorry about that! (Mods please feel free to delete my first post) Anyway, my name is Sam and I wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I recently took the MSF class, got my motorcycle endorsement, and am now looking for my first bike. It's somewhat of a corny story, but when I was in college, I went to a motorcycle shop here in Raleigh with my dad, and sat down on my first motorcycle--an '04 or '05 FZ6--and I was hooked. I wasn't in position to purchase a bike at the time (poor college student and focused on getting a "big boy" job), but I still remember that day very vividly, and always knew I'd get to a point where I could actually afford and enjoy a bike. Now, ten years later, I'm finally there, and think it'd be so cool if the same bike I fell in love with was my first one. The market is pretty bare here at the moment, but I did run across this add a shop in nearby Durham.

Other than maybe the mileage, it looks pretty good, and the price seems very reasonable...maybe too reasonable. I'd be interested in getting anyone's thoughts about this particular bike, whether its worth a look or not, or about the FZ6 in general as a beginner bike. After perusing the site for awhile, I'm astounded with the wealth of knowledge here. Looking forward to becoming an active member of the forums!

Cheers!

Sam (heelsfan729)

Last edited by a moderator:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
hi

i cannot say much about models and any issues prior to 2007 as that year brought some improvements / changes. from what i gather however the 2005 is pretty much the same bike. i have read of a recall on these earlier models for the throttle body position sensor or some other, and some complain of the fueling

if the silver finish doesn't bother you, the digital tach, or the industrial looking plank of a swingarm, i think its a fair price on a good bike. it is going on ten years old, however. so others might chime in with more advice and knowledge about this particular model year. when i was shopping bikes some months ago most did agree all model years should be considered as it is typically a "bulletproof" bike

mileage? its on par with its price imo. i would hope you could get the bike OTD for that price. if not perhaps a few hundred dollars higher is ok? its good the valves have been checked as that is a big deal for this bike. but of course it is a used bike so "as is" is usually the case

i would say here in SoCal its a $2500 bike on the private seller market. $3000 would be a very fair deal from a dealer, here. when i was shopping bikes and basically unaware of the FZ6 i saw one exactly like the one you're considering at a dealer, and liked it a lot. the sign said "$2500, 77,000 miles." lot's of miles but it was still running and on a dealer lot for sale

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!:welcome:

I don't see any links for a bike (on your post) so I can't comment but do agree with FZSexy's post. (You apparently got edited for posting something not allowed).

If your not familiar with bikes and their workings, try to find someone that is and have them take a look with you (well worth the investment, especially if the price is real good), you don't want to get stuck with someones headache.

77,000 miles is a bunch but some FZ's have gone to 100,000. It really depends alot on if it was taken care of/maintained. Worn sprockets/drive chain, steering bearings, cam shaft chain, tensioner, brake calipers with original seals, all if original, will likely need replacing. Unless your pretty mechainically inclined, or have a thick wallet, I would probably steer clear of it...

Good luck and please post what happens..

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are a responsible adult the FZ6 is not too much of a starter bike. I essentially started on an FZ6 after riding only 2,500 miles on a Ninja 250 in 6 months I had no problems going to the fZ6.

There are TONS of deals on these bikes close to Washington DC. It's not that far of a drive from Raleigh and every year I see dozens of 2004-2009 bikes in the $2,500 - $4,000 range with low miles and great shape.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!:welcome:

I don't see any links for a bike (on your post) so I can't comment but do agree with FZSexy's post. (You apparently got edited for posting something not allowed).

If your not familiar with bikes and their workings, try to find someone that is and have them take a look with you (well worth the investement, especially if the price is real good), you don't want to get stuck with someones headache.

77,000 miles is a bunch but some FZ's have gone to 100,000. It really depends alot on if it was taken care of/maintained. Worn sprockets/drive chain, steering bearings, cam shaft chain, tensioner, brake calipers with original seals, all if original, will likely need replacing. Unless your pretty mechainically inclined, or have a thick wallet, I would probably steer clear of it...

Good luck and please post what happens..

oh, the bike i saw a time ago had 77,000 miles. the bike OP is considering has 26,000.

i wonder where that link went? if they were current pics the bike looked clean, and the ad said "just serviced" including the valve check and new tires

fake edit: found it in my browsing history. not gonna post the link as it must have been deleted for a reason, but here are some pics

Last edited by a moderator:

heelsfan729

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the insight and suggestions! Was going to check it out yesterday after reading your responses, but it was sold hours earlier. Dangit! The search continues...