Winter Storage?

mbolte

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I'm new here with my first bike.

its a 2006 FZ6 with flush signals, scorpion exhaust and some misc paint.

HPIM3449-1.jpg

I live in Kansas and its starting to get pretty chilly, I'm getting ready for putting the bike in storage.

So some questions since its my first bike:

Its almost due for an oil change, should I do it now or wait until I get it out?

I plan on pulling the battery and getting a "juicer" from walmart and hooking the battery to it to keep it good for winter, will that work?

Its got some fuel left in it, should I drain it or just add some staybil?

Im going to ask my landlord if I can use his garage and cover it, if not will it be alright to cover it and leave it outside on the rear stand on something solid(concrete) We will be getting snow and ice so Idk if thats a good idea.

If there is anything else I should do let me know!

Sorry about the long thread, just curious:thumbup:

Pirosko

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have an owners manual, there is some good info in there.

Keep the tank full and add some Stabyl.
Make sure trire pressure is correct and place on ctr stand. Use a wood block to somthing to put under the fork/axle to raise the front tire off the ground to prevent flat spots.
As I just learned from a previous post, change the oil now with a filter. Old oil is caustic.
Lube all of your cables.
Careful with the battery charger. You don't want to over charge it with a cheap manual charger that you have to monitor. I have a cheap one but did not need it at all. I tested the battery with a simple voltage tester and it kept the charge all winter long.
Technically you should remove the plugs, drop some fresh oil in the cylinders and crank it engine a couple of times. This I do not so myself.
Make sure the bike is clean.
Have it covered with a blanket, not a plastic sheet as it needs to breath. The bike is alive you know.

If this is all too much, move to a warmer place and just keep riding like all the other lucky dogs in the south!

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum mbolte,

Here's a link to a bunch of links that may give you an idea what to expect when you extract the battery:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/125250-post4.html

Also, a few tips on winterization. Please use the search function to see what our fellow members recommended for storing a motorcycle outside during the winter. If I recall, you have to do something about the coolant/radiator.

:thumbup:

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
what about to prevent rust? im thinking about spraying it.

im in the coast so idk about not having the bike completely covered as you mentioned.

Fixzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I just installed a "CTEK US 800" battery charger on my 2005 FZ6. The package included a quick connector cable that attaches to the battery and stays connected after installation, a set of clips for temporary connection, and a nifty storage bag. The CTEK charger cleans sulphated batteries and prolongs the life of the battery. After checking out several brands and types of chargers the CTEK was the biggest bang for the buck. I've heard that the battery does/doesn't need to be charged over the winter months and figured that with the price of the charger ($47.30) it was a good investment towards good general maintenance. I know from years of automotive mechanics that the cold winter months are hard on a battery and maybe you'll get away with not maintaining the battery the first few winters but it will definitely shorten the life of the battery. I don't have a site for the CTEK but I bought it at Complete Battery Source(313-532-3462). As far as the other winter storage stuff, I guess I need to get busy.