Winter Riding Suits

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking of picking up a textile riding suit to be able to ride later into the winters here before it snows. I found two suits I like on NewEnough, but would like to know if anyone has any experience with these particular items or just has an opinion they'd like to share. Prices are similar enough to be a push as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks,
Rob

1) Joe Rocket Survivor One Piece
Joe Rocket Survivor One Piece Textile Motorcycle Suit :: New Enough

2) Tour Master Centurion One Piece
Tour Master Centurion 1pc Textile Motorcycle Suit :: New Enough

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't even imagine riding in the winter there and I grew up in Jersey!!! I guess there will be fall and spring though.
Stay warm and safe my brother! :rockon:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I haven't seen any gear from Joe Rocket that really struck me as the best in the business.... just based on that, I'd think more about Tour Master, personally.

But it's unlikely that I would buy a one piece suit. I prefer pants and jacket, due to this giving a wider temperature range you can use the pieces over.

If you already have a textile riding jacket, and can match the zipper, I'd go with adding a pair of insulated riding pants, and an electric vest.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding since I got my bike in August of 2007, been riding all year round except when there's snow and ice. Been using this: Spidi 'Admiral' Touring Suit - SPIDI SPIDI : Road Gear (Mens) Textile Jackets : Motomail - New Zealands Motorcycle Superstore
It works well for me, keeps the chill out and it's waterproof. I've been looking at battery operated heated vest, battery technology have greatly improved that they'll last 6-8+ hours now at low to medium settings.
The multiple pockets comes in very handy.
Good luck with your winter riding and keep the rubber side down.

ATGATT.

Ares

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I think most electric vests at this point are hard-wired into the battery via SAE plugs with a control box on the hip. I'd be looking into one of those long before a stand alone system that seems to be what you are describing.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride until it's 32F using my textile jacket (tourmaster transition) with electric vest (aerostich), electric gloves (firstgear) and textile overpants (gore-tex). I don't use an insulated liner in either the jacket or pants. I run the heated gear with a portable dual-controller which allows me to fine tune the heat. Since comfort is subjective YMMV.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My winter riding gear says Polaris, and it's not made for 4 wheelers.. I'll ride until the salt hits the road, and then I put the bike away and start riding my other 600..

2003340classic.jpg

I guess it's more like my GoldWing than my FZ6, since both have reverse.. :)

fz6pat

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using an Olympia 1-piece Phantom suit for 3 years now, and I love it. When used with the quilted full liner it can easily be worn down to 32 degrees. I also have an Aerostitch heated vest, but haven't used it for winter riding the last few years, haven't needed it. I use the suit year round, as it flows lots of air when all the vents are open.

My biggest concern in the winter isn't keeping myself warm however. I'm more concerned with keeping the tires warm and not losing traction. Therefore I won't ride when the roads are at all icey or dirty from salt/sand.

I used to use a Joe Rocket jacket and riding pants combo, but they don't in anyway compare to the quality of the Olympia. Nor are they even close in warmth and protection.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
don't forget the best one piece riding suit in the Aerostich! with a lot of colors,and custom fiting they really are the way to go if you are looking for a riding suit. Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

While I agree that Aerostich is a great suit, it's not a great winter suit.. It's pretty breezy.. I've owned a 2 pc. Roadcrafter and currently have 2 Darien Jackets, a pair of Darien and a pair of AD1 pants.. They're not what I'd call warm..

Today I was riding in 55 degree weather with Darien pants and jacket, and I was really glad I had my Aerostich electric vest, too.. The jacket (Darien or Roadcrafter) let a lot of breeze through the zipper..

I love my Stich stuff, but in cold weather you're better off with something made for it..

Speaking of that, if you're going to ride in the cold, do as mentioned and get some electrical clothing.. Today I rode with the electric vest, heated grips, and my GPS and the bike had no problem with the electrical load.:thumbup:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Biggest issue I find in cold weather riding is the hands...I'm looking in to adding the barkbuster hand shields. Heated grips sound nice but I'd like to avoid messing with them. Gearwise I wear either My Tourmaster Saber Jacket, or a Dainese 3/4 textile jacket, both have quilted liners and I find them to be plenty warm, no need for heated vests or anything. (Jackets are worn over EMS T2 baselayer and a thin fleece). I use some Tourmaster over-pants and EMS T2 leggings underneath. I wear a thin fleece neck protector to fil the gap between the jacket and the helmet. My Joe Rocket boots are pretty warm, no issues there. :thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you currently ride in?
You may be able to get away with your summer gear with heated gear below it. If it's mesh then probably not.

Gerbings has the best heated gear. Their Microwire gear heats better and you don't feel any of the wires. It's expensive, though. If you want to ride all day in the cold, then heated gear will make you the most comfortable.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The BIGGEST thing to take into account is when you are on the move it isn't the temperature that is making you cold but the wind. I ride in sub freezing temps and use my rainliners over a fleece jacket to keep the wind out. I use the same summer mesh jacket.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you currently ride in?
You may be able to get away with your summer gear with heated gear below it. If it's mesh then probably not.

Gerbings has the best heated gear. Their Microwire gear heats better and you don't feel any of the wires. It's expensive, though. If you want to ride all day in the cold, then heated gear will make you the most comfortable.

I'm riding in an A* perforated leather jacket with a thin fleece liner, A* perforated leather gloves, Oxtar boots, and jeans. They are warm enough most of the time, just curious what other's are using. The main issue with this gear is that when I get caught in the rain, I'm soaked to the bone.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using an Olympia 1-piece Phantom suit for 3 years now, and I love it. When used with the quilted full liner it can easily be worn down to 32 degrees. I also have an Aerostitch heated vest, but haven't used it for winter riding the last few years, haven't needed it. I use the suit year round, as it flows lots of air when all the vents are open.

I am interested in the Olympia 1-piece Phantom suit, looks like a nice suit for a good price, thanks for sharing.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm riding in an A* perforated leather jacket with a thin fleece liner, A* perforated leather gloves, Oxtar boots, and jeans. They are warm enough most of the time, just curious what other's are using. The main issue with this gear is that when I get caught in the rain, I'm soaked to the bone.

I went on a looooong trip with a 1-piece suit. It was nice, but if I were to do it again I'd take a two piece. It's more convenient to just take the jacket off rather than the whole suit. Not to mention going #2 in those nasty gas station toilets. Hahaha!

You could just get some rain gear that goes over your normal gear. That would block out the wind and rain. The problem with that type of rain gear is that it's BIG to keep around and it can get uncomfortable to wear over a long period of time. You also have to be more mindful about venting your perspiration so you dont trap it close to your body. This will eventually cool you down and give you the chills. I think it's better to just have a rain proof gore-tex liner that keeps out the rain and is breathable at the same time. Usually this means that your outer shell gets wet, but maybe you could get some aftermarket waterproofing (like nikwax or atsko) to help with that.

Try looking at Firstgear Kilimanjaro, Olympia AST, or Teiz Ventura. They seem to be well regarded 3-season jackets and are in your price range. Not sure about the pants that match those jackets. I'm still looking for a good waterproof boot as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I was up at Moto Market Cafe in Acton MA recently, they have quite a variety of cold weather gear. While I was there, I picked up some cold weather gloves from Weise, they are the "Sportec" model. About $80. Tested them out today (It was in the high 40's this AM out in the middle of the state ) and my hands were toasty warm for several hours of riding. :thumbup:

Moto Market Protective Gear Home Page

Weise Clothing UK: Hand it to WEISE this winter

giant detailed pic here:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6zwLDaZ4UqA/TKT4M_2a0yI/AAAAAAAAACw/roMiRbR60M4/s1600/sportec_gun_01.jpg

Last edited: