Winter Mods

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the winter break I sent alot of time working on the bike and replacing many parts. LOL. I decided to do a bit of a write up on what I did and add it to my riding blog. I included pictures of the process and talked about how I liked/disliked each change. (mostly likes)

Just thought I would share this with you guys/gals.

Enjoy.

Bike Adventures: Ride It In the Summer, Work On It In the Winter!

-bryan

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No longer and FZ6, it's a BM6! Great work Bryan!

Was the engine that clean after all those miles? Well done on the maintenance side!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome info Bryan, wondered what an FZ looked like torn down. You seen Derrick lately?

Thanks! Nah I haven't seen him in a while. He calls from time to time, but I think he has moved back to Sanford with Jes.

Awesome work! you should send that to Yamaha to show them how it should be done out of the box...

No kidding! But then again they would be ask if I wanted to pay an extra 2000.00. LOL

No longer and FZ6, it's a BM6! Great work Bryan!

Was the engine that clean after all those miles? Well done on the maintenance side!

Thanks I appreciate it! Im assuming your referring the inside of the motor? Yes it was spotless. I got the bike when it had 11,000 miles on it and since I have had it I have ran nothing by Motul through it. Bike currently has 34,000 miles on her. Cost a pretty penny, but you get what you pay for when it comes to oil.

(Not starting an oil thread, people!!!!!! Just stating what I have ran.)

Also I just want to add that I cant urge all of you strong enough that when you have the available $ to spend on modifications, start with suspension work! Not to mention that when you first purchase the bike, set the sag in the front and rear of the bike for your weight plus gear.

Suspension and brakes are the week points on our bikes. Instead of spending money on some carbon noise makers, you can invest that same money in upgrading the suspension and be able to ride faster, smoother and for longer. As the rear shock has a hefty tag on it, it can be hard to justify however, the forks can be done for under 150.00 with out emulators. Add the emulators and your looking at around 300.00.. But I am not kidding when I tell you, even after only a few hundred miles, the money spend in the suspension components on the bike are worth every penny!

If I had the $$ to spend I would upgrade the brakes lines, but that is on the back burner for now.

-bryan

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
he speaks the truth about suspension, I have the racetech springs in the front of mine and it was night and day over stock. it was easy and inexpensive $109 plus fork oil.

I am planing on doing the rear, which should be easier to change the spring and oil.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
he speaks the truth about suspension, I have the racetech springs in the front of mine and it was night and day over stock. it was easy and inexpensive $109 plus fork oil.

I am planing on doing the rear, which should be easier to change the spring and oil.

It is much easier. Simply unbolt and then install new part. However, while the rear end is down, take the time to clean and re grease the swing arm bearings. In addition while the rear wheel is off, you can clean and re grease the bearing on the sprocket side of the wheel as it is unsealed. This can not be completed on the brake side as it has a sealed bearing.

-bryan