windshield mounting harware

nyctpt

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled my windshield off today to do some cleaning and discovered that it was being held on by one nylon screw, the other 4 were broken. Guess I'm lucky that it didn't come off will riding. I found a few nuts/washers/bolts that have it secure for now, but I would like to get the original hardware or an alternative that's just as good. Any ideas on sourcing the parts? Trip to the dealer?

Also I'm going to be ordering a new screen in the near future, Puig I think. Do they typically come with hardware?

Thanks,

Ryan

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you are. Washed my bike today and noticed I was missing two screws. One for the windshield and one for instrument cluster. But I think I may just use the same screw as the instrument cluster as I believe it the same size but metal not plastic. I believe you have to reuse your hardware but the Puig may come with some sleeve adapters, not sure. For some reason I cannot post a website link but you should be able to find screw you need at Bikebandit.com. The part # for the windshield screw is 1265466 and the # for the metal cluster screw is 1264710.
'

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing you have an 04-06? The 07+ have 6 screws. At any rate, I think the screws are the same. You can pick up a set of screws on ebay for $6 or so.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They are metric thread and steel screws will fit HOWEVER, I would NOT use steel screws. Its a safety issue

There's rubber sleeves (in the fairing) and the plastic screws are DESIGNED to BREAK AWAY, (and the windshield) should you crash and go thru/over the windshield.

The screws are very easy to bust off (if heavy with the screwdriver).

As I re-call, you had to buy a package of 5 or 6(comes with the rubber inserts and screws). I still have two plastic screws left and 5 inserts.

Their the same for the FJR and the FZ, same purpose too..

I would strongly suggest you just order a package, they'll last a while.

SIX OEM screws for $1.47 TOTAL;

Parts 2 and 3 now;
2007 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6W) Cowling 1 | Babbitts Online

I probably wouldn't bother with the rubber grommits, I'd just pick up some screws, black plastic...

Last edited:

nyctpt

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: windshield mounting hardware

Just ordered from Babbitts, thanks for the info.

Ryan

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site

I can say that the safety feature break away bolts are a real thing. When I hit a deer head on a few months ago, the whole front end was totally destroyed. Sure enough, the windshield was found on the road totally undamaged and the nylon screws in (what was left of) the front end. It was nice not to have to buy a new windscreen (in addition to an entire front end!) In an accident where you are going over the front, it would be nice to have it snap off as opposed to shatter and potentially be sharp.

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site

They are more expensive there than on Amazon. I just looked and HOLY CRAP! $18.77

scew Babbits.JPG

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

They are more expensive there than on Amazon. I just looked and HOLY CRAP! $18.77

View attachment 64898

Your NOT ordering 6 screws.. One part CONTAINS 6 screws, its $1.47 total.

I believe, as you check out, you can change shipping options as well.

Last edited:

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site

Oh ok, I was about to say. Yea Shipping was the killer. Just throw it in a envelope for .50 and call it done i say.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Sometimes, especially for that small an envelope, you can call and see if they'll cut down the shipping (depending on the company).

$10.00 is absolutely ridiculous