Windows 7

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been trying to get windows 7. It comes as a free upgrade with a new acer laptop I have just purchased. All I need to do is go to the media companies site. Anyone else had issues?
Unfortunately every link for the media company doing the upgrade seem to be broken. WTF doe's all that crap mean?

Nelly:thumbup:

PS a big thank you to westgoingzax for the "posting a screen shot, how to"

Last edited:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert, but it looks like a busted site issue. I'd guess that they'll fix that soon enough -- if folks let them know it's busted (hint, hint). Once they get their site sorted you should be able to download the software easily enough.

I haven't used windows 7 yet. I can get it through my work but since I am happy enough with xp -- and I don't know which of my apps will work with 7, let alone if my computer is capable of running it -- I'll stick with it for now.

Let us know how you fare.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been trying to get windows 7. It comes as a free upgrade with a new acer laptop I have just purchased. All I need to do is go to the media companies site. Anyone else had issues?
Nelly:thumbup:

Do you mean Win7 issues? If so, I'm a die-hard XP fan and finally upgraded to Win7 few weeks ago. No problems so far other than adjusting to new GUI and even that's not that big a deal.

Last edited:

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
It comes as a free upgrade with a new acer laptop I have just purchased. All I need to do is go to the media companies site.

I have received similar errors when the firewall or proxy settings are getting in the way. I would suggest turning off the firewall and then attempt to get to the site. If that still doesn't work, hopefully you have some support numbers to call for help. :(

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mean Win7 issues? If so, I'm a die-hard XP fan and finally upgraded to Win7 few weeks ago. No problems so far other than adjusting to new GUI and even that's not that big a deal.
No mate, I can't actually access the site to order my copy of 7.

Nelly

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
No mate, I can't actually access the site to order my copy of 7.

Nelly

Are you using Internet Explorer? I use FireFox 99.6% of the time but I have found that it doesn't work when trying to update Windows or accessing downloadable data on M$'s site.

Edit: Never mind, just looked at your image again and saw that it was IE..

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still getting over the XP to Vista jump I made two months ago.

I got the same offer with my HP, just need to find the receipt for the computer...

A little voice in my head says< "Don't install it until Service Pack One is out."

I'm still smarting from MS ME all those years ago. Remember that POS???

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still getting over the XP to Vista jump I made two months ago.

I got the same offer with my HP, just need to find the receipt for the computer...

A little voice in my head says< "Don't install it until Service Pack One is out."

I'm still smarting from MS ME all those years ago. Remember that POS???
I really liked XP, having said that the only problem I ever had with Vista was when trying to run my I-pod.

BTW Pete you are so yesterday lol.

Nelly

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a heads up. I've deployed Windows 7 on some machines at work. While everything went pretty smooth, there was one glitch that really caused some headaches. It's the new Windows Media Player that comes with Win 7 (version 12). It particularly affects users who have Powerpoint presentations with video clips inserted in the slides. Something changes the way that the Media Player sees the inserted video object. Even thought it's a Windows Media Video file, it will claim it cannot play it. If you delete the inserted video then re-insert it, then it will work. Pain in the ass, but it fixes it.

One other oddity is that the Media Player might refuse to play anything in the player, and claim that there is a "server execution failure". This seems to be a common error if you upgrade from Vista. The fix that worked for me is described here...if you run into the issue you might give this a try.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7pictures/thread/62cf2a4d-ac61-48df-82ad-e51902e74291

Disclaimer: I'm a Mac and Linux user. But Microsoft's glorious software keeps me employed! :)

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I've installed 7 on my HTPC, and it is awesome. The only 2 hitches I have run into are getting Google Chrome to work (which worked just fine on my wife's Windows 7 laptop) and getting Media Center to stop giving me problems recognizing my tuners. I fixed both issues with quick google searches and registry edits, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Microsoft seem to produce alternate good and bad operating systems.

MS-DOS 3.3 GOOD
MS-DOS 4.0 Misunderstood so BAD
MS-DOS 5.0 GOOD

Windows 3.0 BAD (it was despite everybody thinking otherwise)
Windows 3.1 GOOD

Windows 95 AWFUL (I expect you all liked it)
Windows 97 GOOD
Windows ME HA HA

Windows XP Good
Vista Truly Terrible
Windows 7 it is what Vista should have been

I was a MS Certified Systems Engineer in NT/2000/XP :D

Anybody remember OS/2? :eek:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
M

Anybody remember OS/2? :eek:

Yes I do. It was way ahead of its time and I used it up thru the last version. It blew MS Windows out of the water, it was just marketed poorly and by that time it was too late to make a dent in the market.