Will it peal off clean?

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan to paint my fairings, not sure of the color yet...I was thinking a burned orange, it's still in the air and I am open to suggestions, but first.

I have done some of reading on subject of painting on your own, but nothing comes up on my question.

There is a strip or two I don't want to paint and leave as it is...If I put tape (the blue painters tape) on those strips will it peal off clean with a nice straight line or will it possible chip off some little chunks with it?:confused:

Or will this all be avoided if I take the tape off before I clear coat it?

Any info would help a lot and anything you think I could know would be welcome.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
the painters tape should be removed before the paint is fully cured. The paint will be soft but not tacky a couple hours after you spray. That is when the tape comes off.

When you apply it, you have to seal the edges by pressing them down tight. I use a plastic stick/ scraper to press the tape firmly down, this helps press any trapped air at the edges out. If you don't do that, or just press it down with your fingers, paint can seep under the tape and leave a jagged edge.

Make sure you skuff up the paint that you are painting over first to 'open' it up so that the new paint will stick. Use a fine grade sand paper. You will clear coat the whole tank after so skuff the whole tank, even the areas you don't want to paint. The clear and buffing later will bring back the shine.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh ya, one more thing. Many painters chase the edge of the paint/tape line with a razor after the paint has set but before the tape comes off to insure a sharp line. You still need to make sure the tape is firmly set to the tank before you paint. And if you do that, make sure to use a light touch with the razor. You shouldn't be cutting through the primer/base coat, just the new paint.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oooooo... make sure you post up pictures after.. always interested in seeing custom color fz6's... I vote for white or possibly gun metal... also, if you have any automotive paint shops (the kind that sell supplies) you might want to pop in and see if they can recomend anything better than blue painters tape.. not knocking it, but they might have something a little easier to use.. also, are you planning to clear after you pull the tape off??? if so then your going to want to let it dry for at least a day, just to be on hte safe side.. and when you pull the tape, do it very very slowly and try to pull at a 90 degree angle.. let us know how it turns out :thumbup:

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
honestly it doesn't sound like trying this yourself will turn out well. DIY paint rarely turns out well.

If you have at it, get masking tape from an auto body supply store. That blue masking tape at Lowes is not for automotive paints. When you remove it, remove it straight back in the direction its taped as close as you can. It sort of cuts the line cleaner.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
oooooo... make sure you post up pictures after.. always interested in seeing custom color fz6's... I vote for white or possibly gun metal... also, if you have any automotive paint shops (the kind that sell supplies) you might want to pop in and see if they can recomend anything better than blue painters tape.. not knocking it, but they might have something a little easier to use.. also, are you planning to clear after you pull the tape off??? if so then your going to want to let it dry for at least a day, just to be on hte safe side.. and when you pull the tape, do it very very slowly and try to pull at a 90 degree angle.. let us know how it turns out :thumbup:

depends on whats being used. We talking base coat clear coat or spray bombs?

Also, if using spray cans, be sure not to use enamel and lacquer. Choose on or the other as they do not play well together.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of painting it white as well, I'll have to see when the time comes.
and I will get the pictures up as soon as I figure the whole thing out.

So I will need to do that to the tape for every layer, except the clear coat, of paint I put on it?

I was going to use cans.

I picked up some pieces of sheet metal and some different color paints today. I figured I would do some test runs and see if this is something within my ability.

Though I plan to be busy the next two weeks coming up here. My Army buddy is coming back from Iraq for his Leave. I plan to be drinking too much too often.:rockon: I will pick the project back up when he heads back.

Thanks for the help!:thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Spray cans won't give a good finish at all. I think you should get a pro to do it if you don't have much experience with painting.

Just my 2 cents.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
just to show some DIY work with rattle cans and some auto rattle cans...the last pic is a little blurry but they all look great in person...just FYI the heat did NOT effect the paint on the valve cover or strut bar..and the wheels were chrome that was rusted and we had to sand paper the crap out of it before painting..

10845_340471945166_804085166_9597838_3397131_n.jpg

10845_340471960166_804085166_9597839_2470670_n.jpg

10845_340472530166_804085166_9597854_6169693_n.jpg

10845_340472555166_804085166_9597857_2706771_n.jpg

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
After doing some test runs on some scrap metal, I have found out that I have no painting talents. haha Also, owning a townhouse with no garage it was very hard to keep it clean as it dried.

After looking at some of the white FZ6Ns I really think it's the way to go. I am not sure when I will be doing it, but when I do it will be by a pro. Can't be too expensive as it isn't a lot of surface.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you know.. i think it was boneman that had the how to paint thingy... its really not that hard, but not with rustolium.. if you can find an automotive paint SUPPLY store, they can mix up colors for you in a spray can that is auto grade.. its all with the preping and sandings.. sure the clear night not come out perfect, but depending on the color it might not be to bad.. if you can wetsand, your like 3/4 of the way there..... :thumbup:

oh and painters plastic is your best friend in a garage...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/16967-how-paint-basic-guide.html#post214134

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
I painted the Upper cowel black , iused a krylon spay that is just for plastics. It turned out ok. I did not have acces to clearcoat but its not to bad. If you fold the tape(sticky up and down) it will help the paint from soaking through and past the line.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After doing some test runs on some scrap metal, I have found out that I have no painting talents. haha Also, owning a townhouse with no garage it was very hard to keep it clean as it dried.

After looking at some of the white FZ6Ns I really think it's the way to go. I am not sure when I will be doing it, but when I do it will be by a pro. Can't be too expensive as it isn't a lot of surface.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Lol....i feel your pain, i too have tried painting a few things myself, and have had awful results....good idea to let the pro's do it for you.

:thumbup: