Why Is Universal Health Care ‘Un-American’?

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
"In the 1950s the polar bear population up north was estimated at 5,000. Today it's 20- to 25,000, a number that has either held steady over the last 20 years or has risen slightly. In Canada, the manager of wildlife resources for the Nunavut territory of Canada has found that the population there has increased by 25 percent."

Ask The Experts - Polar Bears International

These are rough estimates, but they support the 500% increase claim.

I think we agree on a lot of this, but for me I don't really believe that we humans are the major contributor to climate change nor do I believe that humans have the power to control the weather at this point. Just opinions, but there apparently isn't much raw data available to either support or refute those opinions. Due to fraud. Why is it that these scientists, and the UN, and Obama and Gore, only seem focussed on the human contribution to climate change? Gore's movie was a propaganda piece painting us as the root cause of climate change (then called global warming), but it was based on this same fraudulent data and seems to have ignored the millions of years of data that show massive climate swings throughout history, preindustrial history. We can't effect sun spots, or supernovae, or the Earth's fluctuating distance from the sun, or the amount of CO2 that our oceans contain or fail to contain. We can reduce CO2 emissions caused by the burning of fossil fuels, but this has a direct effect on quality of life if done too rapidly or without proper planning. Drastic increases in cost, as cap and tax would cause, has a direct effect on the entire economy. Unemployment, reinvestment, research and development, innovation, etc. It's not a simple, black and white argument, yet that is the picture they have tried to sell us. Do it now or we all die. Now we find that these scientists have an agenda and have comitted fraud to support that agenda, it casts the facts themselves into doubt, let alone the theories based on those "facts".

I am actively involved in reducing carbon footprints in the US, we founded a company specifically for this purpose focussed on energy controls- smart buildings that actively track, report, and reduce energy consumption. Convia is the product I mentioned before, but it also includes simpler fixes such as high efficiency lighting, lighting design for less waste, thermal screens, etc. The goal is to reduce total energy consumption for buildings as much as possible without reducing the quality of the space, meaning you could greatly reduce your usage by working in the dark and wearing thermal underwear but we'd rather just reduce as much of the waste and inefficiency without impacting quality of life. I believe we can and should make significant changes, but not based on armeggedon scares and massive government controls and taxation.

Businesses can and are making these changes due to cost more than goodwill if we're being honest. If you can reduce your utilities expenses by 30% a year without feeling it, you will. The same is true for government agencies, schools, hospitals, state agencies facing budget constraints. And yes an unnatural increase in costs would further increase this pressure, but balance is needed. Technology and innovation are the creative responses to reduction, taxation and government control of production are over simplistic and penalty based responses to a perceived emergency that is in serious doubt right now. We are being led rather than being involved, they are using fear and fraud to create the change they want, which also happens to afford them control and personal wealth. Obama helped to found the only carbon exchange in the country, I think he's still on the board? Al Gore's investments and potential gains from cap and tax legislation are public knowledge, and huge.

2009 is the coldest of the past 10 years according to NOAA:

Global Average Temperatures Are Down - Planck Time

and the cooling trend began at the turn of the century:

A record cool summer has descended upon many parts of the U.S. after predictions of the "year without a summer." There has been no significant global warming since 1995, no warming since 1998 and global cooling for the past few years. (Also see: Scientists Write Open Letter to Congress: 'Earth has been cooling for ten years' - 'Present cooling was NOT predicted by the alarmists' computer models, and has come as an embarrassment to them' - July 1, 2009)

Earth's 'Fever' Breaks! Global temperatures 'have plunged .74°F since Gore released An Inconvenient Truth' | Climate Depot

There just seems to be too much conflicting and unexplained data, separate from the recent fraud concerns, to make the types of conclusions and wild claims that have been going around. Scientists who have chosen to ignore and discredit conflicting data and theories are not advancing our knowledge or ability to make educated decisions. The Inconvenient Truth implies that Al Gore actually knows the truth, based on selected incomplete and fraudulent data that flies in the face of recent cooling trends. He has made no statements explaining the cooling or the fraudulent practices of his partners in the climate change game. Why is that? Transparent analysis of sound scientific data, open debate supported by the facts, honest assumptions on cause and effect, a plan with a clear goal in terms of what the human race actually thinks it can do to improve overall quality of life in the long term- more Obama type rhetoric that I believe in but am not seeing here.

China, India, Eastern Europe, and other emerging industrial nations are the keys to curbing global emissions and without them on board the only thing the US gets from cap and trade is massive tax increases on virtually everything we buy, making us even less competitive globally and reducing our quality of life without the plus side of halting global armeggedon in it's path. Copenhagen never was going to be the answer, but with this scandal showing up it is not looking good. Hopefully the outcome of all of this will be a call for open, transparent, honest debate, where dissenting opinions are not only allowed but encouraged, with the goal of greater understanding being paramount to partisan political gain.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
"In the 1950s the polar bear population up north was estimated at 5,000. Today it's 20- to 25,000, a number that has either held steady over the last 20 years or has risen slightly. In Canada, the manager of wildlife resources for the Nunavut territory of Canada has found that the population there has increased by 25 percent."

Ask The Experts - Polar Bears International

These are rough estimates, but they support the 500% increase claim.

I like the technique... post a link to the polarbearsinternational.org website (making your claim sound justified) citing a specific paragraph... nicely done except that paragraph is a non-verified extract of a Fox News website to which the experts responded in the very link you posted... instead of extracting the question, why don't you post the expert's answer instead? A bit more accurate and much more interesting than your manipulated claim...

I think we agree on a lot of this, but for me I don't really believe that we humans are the major contributor to climate change nor do I believe that humans have the power to control the weather at this point. Just opinions, but there apparently isn't much raw data available to either support or refute those opinions.

There is "overwhelming data" clearly showing that we're participating... who cares if we're the main contributor or the 2nd... it isn't a bad idea to act on what we have control over. You simply choose to ignore the data...

Why is it that these scientists, and the UN, and Obama and Gore, only seem focussed on the human contribution to climate change? Gore's movie was a propaganda piece painting us as the root cause of climate change (then called global warming), but it was based on this same fraudulent data and seems to have ignored the millions of years of data that show massive climate swings throughout history, preindustrial history. We can't effect sun spots, or supernovae, or the Earth's fluctuating distance from the sun, or the amount of CO2 that our oceans contain or fail to contain. We can reduce CO2 emissions caused by the burning of fossil fuels, but this has a direct effect on quality of life if done too rapidly or without proper planning.

The focus is on the human contribution because that's the only thing we have control over (as you stated), so it seems logical :)

If you actually look at the data from the past millions of years (suddenly you accept that data huh?), taken deep in the Arctic ice, indeed shows massive climate swings, but NONE of them occurred as fast as what's happening now... half a degree change in the World's mean temperature in less than 50 years is NOT normal and has NEVER been seen prior to the industrialized age. Again, you're quoting the typical opponent crap, which can all be disproved easily.

Drastic increases in cost, as cap and tax would cause, has a direct effect on the entire economy. Unemployment, reinvestment, research and development, innovation, etc. It's not a simple, black and white argument, yet that is the picture they have tried to sell us. Do it now or we all die. Now we find that these scientists have an agenda and have comitted fraud to support that agenda, it casts the facts themselves into doubt, let alone the theories based on those "facts".

Do you really think that these 2 guys involved with the scandal controlled the entire world population of scientists and all the data that exists? Have you seen the details of what you call "fraud"? You're talking about it like they control everything and created Global Warming from nothing... comon...

One could easily argue that all the measures that the leaders of Copenhagen are proposing would actually create jobs and boost the economies of the various countries involved, not the opposite. Especially if you look at the mid to long term. Of course it'll cost money, but it's really nothing when you look at what's at stake here... Copenhagen will be asking for countries to pull their wallet out, but it represents less than 10% of what countries had to pay for the financial crisis bail outs...

I am actively involved in reducing carbon footprints in the US, we founded a company specifically for this purpose focussed on energy controls- smart buildings that actively track, report, and reduce energy consumption. Convia is the product I mentioned before, but it also includes simpler fixes such as high efficiency lighting, lighting design for less waste, thermal screens, etc. The goal is to reduce total energy consumption for buildings as much as possible without reducing the quality of the space, meaning you could greatly reduce your usage by working in the dark and wearing thermal underwear but we'd rather just reduce as much of the waste and inefficiency without impacting quality of life. I believe we can and should make significant changes, but not based on armeggedon scares and massive government controls and taxation.

Great business idea, I hope it works out for you guys.

Significant change won't happen without international cooperations between governments imo.

About the Armageddon scares, they are based on computer models which are as accurate as the scientist who programmed them, so I agree with you that you can make any model do anything you want... however, the point is that it is fairly easy to look at the past 50 years of global temperature records and extrapolate the next 50-100 years from it if nothing changes and we keep going at the pace we're currently on... it is also fairly easy to extrapolate what will happen if Earth's temperature goes up by 1 or 2 degrees... sure they could be wrong, but believe it or not, it is actually easier to predict global temperature changes over the next 50 years than it is to predict next week's weather...

Businesses can and are making these changes due to cost more than goodwill if we're being honest. If you can reduce your utilities expenses by 30% a year without feeling it, you will. The same is true for government agencies, schools, hospitals, state agencies facing budget constraints. And yes an unnatural increase in costs would further increase this pressure, but balance is needed. Technology and innovation are the creative responses to reduction, taxation and government control of production are over simplistic and penalty based responses to a perceived emergency that is in serious doubt right now. We are being led rather than being involved, they are using fear and fraud to create the change they want, which also happens to afford them control and personal wealth. Obama helped to found the only carbon exchange in the country, I think he's still on the board? Al Gore's investments and potential gains from cap and tax legislation are public knowledge, and huge.

So now politicians are making money off the back of Global Warming? yeah ok...
I agree with you though, balance is needed... and I trust that every leader in the World perfectly understands that while global warming is a major issue, the priority is still the well being of their respective countries...

2009 is the coldest of the past 10 years according to NOAA:

Global Average Temperatures Are Down - Planck Time

and the cooling trend began at the turn of the century:

A record cool summer has descended upon many parts of the U.S. after predictions of the "year without a summer." There has been no significant global warming since 1995, no warming since 1998 and global cooling for the past few years. (Also see: Scientists Write Open Letter to Congress: 'Earth has been cooling for ten years' - 'Present cooling was NOT predicted by the alarmists' computer models, and has come as an embarrassment to them' - July 1, 2009)

Earth's 'Fever' Breaks! Global temperatures 'have plunged .74°F since Gore released An Inconvenient Truth' | Climate Depot

There just seems to be too much conflicting and unexplained data, separate from the recent fraud concerns, to make the types of conclusions and wild claims that have been going around. Scientists who have chosen to ignore and discredit conflicting data and theories are not advancing our knowledge or ability to make educated decisions. The Inconvenient Truth implies that Al Gore actually knows the truth, based on selected incomplete and fraudulent data that flies in the face of recent cooling trends. He has made no statements explaining the cooling or the fraudulent practices of his partners in the climate change game. Why is that? Transparent analysis of sound scientific data, open debate supported by the facts, honest assumptions on cause and effect, a plan with a clear goal in terms of what the human race actually thinks it can do to improve overall quality of life in the long term- more Obama type rhetoric that I believe in but am not seeing here.

Refer to previous global temp. chart above. If you think that global warming means that every single year the temp goes up, you're wrong. The point is that if you look at the big picture, they're clearly going way up.

China, India, Eastern Europe, and other emerging industrial nations are the keys to curbing global emissions and without them on board the only thing the US gets from cap and trade is massive tax increases on virtually everything we buy, making us even less competitive globally and reducing our quality of life without the plus side of halting global armeggedon in it's path. Copenhagen never was going to be the answer, but with this scandal showing up it is not looking good. Hopefully the outcome of all of this will be a call for open, transparent, honest debate, where dissenting opinions are not only allowed but encouraged, with the goal of greater understanding being paramount to partisan political gain.

China already confirmed they will be talking hard numbers... Europe is already way in front (France and Brazil leading the whole thing)... so trust me, the US won't be alone in this... but we're (the US that is) so far in front of everybody else in terms of emissions per capita that it may warrant a bit more efforts from our side of the pond... Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but the arguments you are making are based on fraudulent data :BLAA:

I'm sure you are more up to speed on this issue than I am, I was just pointing out the ignorance most have of the fraud issue, since the MSM has refused to report on it. The scientists involved are the CRU, the one's responsible for the IPCC reports, which are what Gore and the UN are using, so it is actually a very big story. Not a couple of scientists on the fringe, the head of the CRU and the rest of his staff, who are now stepping down. The argument was that this will have an effect at Copenhagen, and that perhaps all of these theories that have been painted as facts should be more closely reviewed, if that weren't impossible due to the destruction and coverup of conflicting data. It's just not good, and if you believe in armeggedon at the hands of CO2 you should be calling for these guys heads because they have added gasoline to the skeptic fires.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
It is unfortunate, but I don't think it will have much impact in Copenhagen... at least I hope not because one would have to be pretty dense to think that ALL data ever gathered on Global Warming, and every study ever written on the topic were ALL falsified by these few scientists @ the IPCC. There are a lot of consequences of Global Warming that you can already see for yourself all around the world as well, and I don't think the IPCC created these too...

Hopefully I'll still be alive in 40 years and will be able to see if it was all just a joke :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/co...bama-given-power-to-cut-greenhouse-gases.html

go Obama! :D

and some good sense talk here: http://www.ecoshock.net/eshock09/ES_091204_Show_LoFi.mp3

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes quite so.

On climategate, here is Al Gore lying about it and ignoring the facts:

Climategate: Gore falsifies the record | Herald Sun Andrew Bolt Blog

Climategate: Gore falsifies the record
Permalink Andrew Bolt Blog
Andrew Bolt
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 at 06:54pm

Al Gore has studied the Climategate emails with his typically rigorous eye and dismissed them as mere piffle:

Q: How damaging to your argument was the disclosure of e-mails from the Climate Research Unit at East Anglia University?

A: To paraphrase Shakespeare, it’s sound and fury signifying nothing. I haven’t read all the e-mails, but the most recent one is more than 10 years old. These private exchanges between these scientists do not in any way cause any question about the scientific consensus.
And in case you think that was a mere slip of the tongue:

Q: There is a sense in these e-mails, though, that data was hidden and hoarded, which is the opposite of the case you make [in your book] about having an open and fair debate.

A: I think it’s been taken wildly out of context. The discussion you’re referring to was about two papers that two of these scientists felt shouldn’t be accepted as part of the IPCC report. Both of them, in fact, were included, referenced, and discussed. So an e-mail exchange more than 10 years ago including somebody’s opinion that a particular study isn’t any good is one thing, but the fact that the study ended up being included and discussed anyway is a more powerful comment on what the result of the scientific process really is.

In fact, thrice denied:

These people are examining what they can or should do to deal with the P.R. dimensions of this, but where the scientific consensus is concerned, it’s completely unchanged. What we’re seeing is a set of changes worldwide that just make this discussion over 10-year-old e-mails kind of silly.

In fact, as Watts Up With That shows, one Climategate email was from just two months ago. The most recent was sent on November 12 - just a month ago. The emails which have Tom Wigley seeming (to me) to choke on the deceit are all from this year. Phil Jones’ infamous email urging other Climategate scientists to delete emails is from last year.

How closely did Gore read these emails? Did he actually read any at all? Was he lying or just terribly mistaken? What else has he got wrong?

(Thanks to readers Sinclair and Peter.)

UPDATE

Reader Barry:

Actually the e-mail archives are named by Unix timestamp, ranging from Thu, 07 Mar 1996 14:41:07 GMT through to Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:17:44 GMT. This is a strong indicator they are extracted from an enterprise archive, probably by the FOIA Compliance Officer and not hacked from individual’s workstations.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Al Gore lied about the time stamp of the emails, thus Climate change does not exist and the oceans aren't becoming more acidic because of human made CO2.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Al Gore lied about the time stamp of the emails, thus Climate change does not exist and the oceans aren't becoming more acidic because of human made CO2.

Well he didn't invent the internet either, but I think the total lack of concern for the intergrity of the exact data used to make his claims is telling. It isn't the truth that's important, it's the result of legislation. It's dogma, not science at this point.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
While you'r still stuck in these emails, the rest of the World already moved on to discussing the real issue, i.e. how to we limit the amount of CO2 that we humans put in the atmosphere to stop/slow ocean acidification and/or global warming.

These emails only pertained to Global Warming right? OK fine, let's dismiss global warming as a whole.
Do you have ANY data against the widely accepted claim that the World Oceans are getting dangerously acidic due to human made CO2? No, because no-one found bs emails to use as an excuse to play political games and claim that it doesn't exist... EVERYBODY agrees it exists, even opponents to Copenhagen agree that it is a problem... Are you proposing that we don't do anything about that?

What exactly is your agenda? We should not care about CO2 emissions at all? Is that what you are asking for?

efin1487l.jpg

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
So ignore the fraud and doctored data and proceed along the path these scumbags have laid out for us, using fraud, without question? No, I don't think so. Funny how when we find a smoking gun like this, documented evidense of at least a decade of blatant fraud and coverup to show a specific result, that the planet is warming, and we should simply move on? Dot org? The planet is cooling yet they can't explain it or even comment on it, the science is fraudulent, and the answer is to ignore the facts because... you THINK that even though they couldn't prove their case honestly that yes armeggedon is coming? Unless we give the government control of production? But also screw the poor countries in the process and eliminate their opportunity for growth? No thanks, I'm not buying it.

How about this: invest in nuclear power. Use "stimulus" money for energy research, not inefficient wind turbines and other feel good prius tech, but real viable clean energy sources. Offer tax breaks to coal burning electric companies to convert to natural gas. Invest in liquid coal research (20-30% cleaner than gasoline). Things that help the economy as well as the environment. Not "Command and Control".

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
So ignore the fraud and doctored data and proceed along the path these scumbags have laid out for us, using fraud, without question? No, I don't think so. Funny how when we find a smoking gun like this, documented evidense of at least a decade of blatant fraud and coverup to show a specific result, that the planet is warming, and we should simply move on? Dot org? The planet is cooling yet they can't explain it or even comment on it, the science is fraudulent, and the answer is to ignore the facts because... you THINK that even though they couldn't prove their case honestly that yes armeggedon is coming? Unless we give the government control of production? But also screw the poor countries in the process and eliminate their opportunity for growth? No thanks, I'm not buying it.

lol, do you sincerely and honestly think that these emails falsified ALL the data in the World about climate change? seriously... are you that numb in the brain? :)

You may not know this, but NASA gathers their own data... ESA gathers their own data, every freaking industrialized country has their own independent scientists working all over the globe to gather data... just like dozens of independent non-governmental organizations... thousands of scientists all agree that CO2 emissions need to be better controlled for various reasons (ocean acidification and global warming being the main ones...). Do you really think a country like China solely uses IPCC data to make their decisions? That's it?
Do you sincerely think that these emails warrant a complete shut down of all climate negotiations until we gather brand new data and create new reports which will more or less show the same thing? Are you that naive and ignorant? I don't think you are.
Let me ask you a simple question: imagine these emails had not existed and the IPCC never had any fraudulent activity happen... would you be a proponent of Copenhagen and more stringent carbon emission control?

Of course you wouldn't! This is just an excuse! You would have found something else on the internet to express your dissatisfaction with this global warming scam... am I wrong?

How about this: invest in nuclear power. Use "stimulus" money for energy research, not inefficient wind turbines and other feel good prius tech, but real viable clean energy sources. Offer tax breaks to coal burning electric companies to convert to natural gas. Invest in liquid coal research (20-30% cleaner than gasoline). Things that help the economy as well as the environment. Not "Command and Control".

This is exactly what's going to happen... 4rth generation nuclear (where the waste is significantly reduced... I know a little bit about that since France is the World leader in Nuclear power plants) and all the rest as you stated... watch.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
You know what's funny to me though? It's that everything you stand against (universal healthcare, carbon control, I am sure you were against sending more troops in Afghanistan too since Obama did it... etc etc... basically all the good things Obama wants to do), will actually happen. So we will soon be able to see first hand if the United States will indeed go bankrupt like your prophesy... because let's be clear (so that we can actually measure whether everything you say is true or not), you think the US will more or less be destroyed if all these things happen right? That's your main point correct? If I am mistaken, could you tell us what is REALLY going to happen to the US if all these things actually happen?
I am serious, let's be clear so we can verify if all drama you predict is actually going to happen...

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
My Colombian wife and I just return from Cali Colombia . after the long flight I felt sick so my wife called a doctor and a nurse came to our Hotel on a motorcycle. She gave me a shot and came back in the morning and gave me another shot and some pills. All this cost about $20 this is the kind of health care we need in america !

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Current system: does nothing to control cost and doesn't cover 50 million Americans.
New system: may not do much more to control cost, but at least your fellow compatriots will all have access to healthcare (is that bad?).

Obama's whole reason for this mess imho is not cost, it's to help his fellow Americans in need. Of course cost of the current crappy system is a problem too, which I believe they're trying their best to address..

Obama agreed to remove the public option from the plan yesterday... you guys should be happy... it doesn't change anything in terms of the care itself, it just allows insurance companies to keep going as they've been, without a gov plan to compete with them... sad, but Republicans are happy (for whatever reason)....

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
My Way News - Developing countries boycott UN climate talks

COPENHAGEN (AP) - China, India and other developing nations boycotted U.N. climate talks on Monday, bringing negotiations to a halt with their demand that rich countries discuss much deeper cuts in their greenhouse gas emissions.

What was that you said about China and India being on board with this? Since they are by far the largest threats to the increase in carbon emissions, and the US and UN seem to be failing to make their case that we're all gonna die pretty soon, is it a good idea for the US to pass legislation that will hurt our economy without providing the reduction in greenhouse gasses these scientist say are necessary to halt global armeggedon? If the "stimulus" had been used for massive investment in economically viable solutions to reducing reliance on fossil fuels, nuclear, natural gas conversions, cleaner coal and liquid coal research, energy controls, etc. then we would already be well on the way. I would have had a lot less criticism if the "stimulus" was actually used as an investment in our future rather than a sugar high loaded with useless pet projects. Obama is spending billions of taxpayer dollars to help Brazil with their offshore oil drilling for his pal Soros right now, how does that fit in with his goals? Why is that the investment we go with? I think it's a mess and of course I'd like to see less pollution and less reliance on foreign oil. I'd like to see clean efficient power and yes France is way ahead on the use of nuclear power, but the way this administration is going about it is all wrong in my opinion. Overly simplistic dictation of how it has to be based on punishment rather than thoughtful planning towards a relatively painless transition that provides value rather than just cost. How many nuclear plants can you open for let's say $200B? What would the carbon offset be from that type of investment?

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Current system: does nothing to control cost and doesn't cover 50 million Americans.
New system: may not do much more to control cost, but at least your fellow compatriots will all have access to healthcare (is that bad?).

Obama's whole reason for this mess imho is not cost, it's to help his fellow Americans in need. Of course cost of the current crappy system is a problem too, which I believe they're trying their best to address..

Obama agreed to remove the public option from the plan yesterday... you guys should be happy... it doesn't change anything in terms of the care itself, it just allows insurance companies to keep going as they've been, without a gov plan to compete with them... sad, but Republicans are happy (for whatever reason)....

Crisis: Exploding health care costs that are crippling the economy. Medicare and Medicaid are going broke. Premiums are increasing for businesses and individuals. Health insurance is becoming too expensive for many to afford.

Solution: Vastly increase the number of "entitled", adding an additional 30-40 million people into the system described as "broken" and "unsustainable". Directly tax businesses and individuals to pay for it all. Slash medicare funding for the elderly to pay for the poor.

The solution does not address the problem. In fact, it directly adds to it. That's my issue with it. I agree with you, Obama lied about his intentions and isn't focussed on the cost. He said he was, but it's all about adding people to the entitlement program, not making it affordable or sustainable. The difference is I actually believe in what he said during the campaign and throughout the debate, that we cannot continue down this path of unsustainability and we cannot leave this growing problem to our children to solve. You astutely recognized that he was full of sh!t when he said those things, and for whatever reason are completely unconcerned with the economic effect, or the fact that massively and permanently increasing the size of an unsustainable system is not a viable long term option. I believe that the costs will continue to grow, that the entitlements will require constant tax increases, and that it will hurt our economy and global competitiveness. More takers, less providers. Less jobs, less personal responsibility, less motivation to be a valuable contributing member of society. That is why I am against it. The US has around 300 million people, so the math is very different than small countires with 90% fewer people to support. We are in a very precarious position, over leveraged as a nation, massive unemployment, plummeting tax revenues, in debt up to our eyeballs, and simultaneously attempting to stimulate the economy and tax the hell out of it. Doesn't quite add up. If we were economically stable it would make a lot more sense.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
My Way News - Developing countries boycott UN climate talks

COPENHAGEN (AP) - China, India and other developing nations boycotted U.N. climate talks on Monday, bringing negotiations to a halt with their demand that rich countries discuss much deeper cuts in their greenhouse gas emissions.

What was that you said about China and India being on board with this? Since they are by far the largest threats to the increase in carbon emissions, and the US and UN seem to be failing to make their case that we're all gonna die pretty soon, is it a good idea for the US to pass legislation that will hurt our economy without providing the reduction in greenhouse gasses these scientist say are necessary to halt global armeggedon? I

Of course they're on board with this LOL... re-read your own extract above... they're boycotting because they WANT MORE CUTS from rich countries!!! lol

Here is more info: From red to green: China's drive to be a low carbon leader - CNN.com

You must not be following this very closely, because the US is not making any case in Copenhagen... The US is actually doing the opposite... first Obama didn't even want to go to Copenhagen on the days all the other Presidents were going to go (18 & 19, last 2 days), and then finally he changed his mind under pressure from other leaders... then as mentioned above, the US has its own priorities right now and Obama already said that this isn't his priority, but the American Economy and the American ppl are... which is understandable. Again, the US is actually being looked at by other occidental countries as being behind everyone else in terms of making commitments... and everybody knows that the US will NOT agree to what will be asked simply because it will be too stringent for the US today. (understandable as well).

So again, while you seem to think Obama/the US is behind all of this, it's actually quite the opposite (Obama gained some respect from you now didn't he! HA!).

Crisis: Exploding health care costs that are crippling the economy. Medicare and Medicaid are going broke. Premiums are increasing for businesses and individuals. Health insurance is becoming too expensive for many to afford.

Solution: Vastly increase the number of "entitled", adding an additional 30-40 million people into the system described as "broken" and "unsustainable". Directly tax businesses and individuals to pay for it all. Slash medicare funding for the elderly to pay for the poor.

Nope, you're missing the point I think. The solution is not to simply add ppl to the already broken system, but to get rid of the broken system and try another one. You are being pessimistic about the new system because you don't understand it very well (you haven't read the bill) and it scares you... which is understandable....
I am being optimistic about it for 2 reasons: it works well in EVERY other occidental country in the World, and 2, we can't leave 50 million Americans in the gutter like they are now. Let's have some compassion with them!

Now I am not saying the new system will be perfect... there will be issues for sure... but the new system can't be worse than the current one right! :thumbup: