who else got stuck in a cop roadblock?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
...ruined my night, just the fact that they were there. I didnt do anything and they didnt ticket me for anything, still just irritated me the hoops I had to jump thru. :Flip::Flip:
Honestly if I was trashed, I wouldn't be able to balance the bike.
why cant they just say hello to the people they know aren't/weren't drinking and send them on their way? instead of making me take all my gear off, the seat, and my backpack apart, I just wanted to get home to bed :spank:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no problem with roadblocks, after all, if you are not guilty of anything what do you have to worry about?

Drinking and driving is an epidemic here so the more assholes they catch in roadblocks the better.

Having said that, I have never been roadblocked on the bike but have seen a few in the car. That might be because I rarely ride at night.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got stuck in a bike only roadblock once late on a Friday night. They had a state weigh station set up with one spot to take everyone's ID and registration until the end, another to breathalyze, and the last to inspect the the bikes for violations. There were about 100 bikes stuck in line and another 15 off to the side waiting to get towed for illegal mods or drunk riders.

I was coming home from work on a late shift still in uniform and was livid when I saw what was going on. When the guy walked up to get my ID, I went off on a tirade about probable cause and the 4th amendment that would've made Charlton Heston blush. Afterwards, he just said, "Oh, you're one of those guys" and waved me out of the line.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've once been stopped in a roadblock on the bike, last year when meeting a mate of mine off of the ferry from the UK, to go see the moto GP in Assen.
They took breathtests and checked licenses, I don't have a problem with this, as long as they are reasonably efficient and don't leave you waiting around for nothing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got stopped in one several years ago, very efficient, got thru very quickly.

I know down here, we got a lot of DUI, MC deaths, majority of them HD riders with NO helmets(no helmet law). Roughly one a week, an occassional sport bike riding too fast as well..

If its halfways efficient and done correctly, I don't have a problem with them getting a drunk driver off the street and save someones life...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...ruined my night, just the fact that they were there. I didnt do anything and they didnt ticket me for anything, still just irritated me the hoops I had to jump thru. :Flip::Flip:
Honestly if I was trashed, I wouldn't be able to balance the bike.
why cant they just say hello to the people they know aren't/weren't drinking and send them on their way? instead of making me take all my gear off, the seat, and my backpack apart, I just wanted to get home to bed :spank:
I agree it's a Right PIA, but they are only doing there civic duty. I wonder how many they caught that night?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got stuck in a bike only roadblock once late on a Friday night. They had a state weigh station set up with one spot to take everyone's ID and registration until the end, another to breathalyze, and the last to inspect the the bikes for violations. There were about 100 bikes stuck in line and another 15 off to the side waiting to get towed for illegal mods or drunk riders.

I was coming home from work on a late shift still in uniform and was livid when I saw what was going on. When the guy walked up to get my ID, I went off on a tirade about probable cause and the 4th amendment that would've made Charlton Heston blush. Afterwards, he just said, "Oh, you're one of those guys" and waved me out of the line.
If the Police had stopped a few bikers who DUI that night on that road, is that enough for probable cause? I am asking because I really don't know?
I would argue the fact that you were in uniform has no relevance, you could still have gone to a bar.

The only time I have been a bit verbal was last St Patrick's day. I was riding to work and a Police officer did a really feeble wave to get me to stop.
It was so inconspicuous that I actually road through the road block. A Patrol car pulled out in front of me to get me to stop. The officer then came up and started ranting at me about not stooping.
I calmly took my helmet off, got off the bike and said to the officer (whilst demonstrating the correct signal according to the highway code) this is what you should have done, then showed him the half arsed signal he gave me. I then said that I was in the middle of the road where he wanted to stop me and was at risk of being rear-ended. In my opinion it was not right to put me in danger.
I didn't have to show any documents and was allowed to carry on.
Its not stopping that I have an issue with it's sometimes the half ar5ed way they do it.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I was stopped in a roadblock last year. I was unfortunately trapped behind a huge line of loud, over-fueled Harleys. One cop came over to me asked if I was with them, checked my license and let me go. Got some nasty looks form the harley guys as I pulled away.

F

Flyer421

The motorcycle point in the checkpoint is what A.B.A.T.E. is fighting serious issues on. That Is classic profile discrimination. Safety checkpoints in Louisiana we have to get an inspection sticker which in keeping you agree to keep all the bike "safe". It's just another way that people who don't know try to regulate riders.

RIDE FREE

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
There were about 100 bikes stuck in line and another 15 off to the side waiting to get towed for illegal mods or drunk riders.

illegal mods? what were they looking for?

Afterwards, he just said, "Oh, you're one of those guys" and waved me out of the line.

you're not a sheep! congrats! one of the few.

welcome to the future, people.
someday they'll be some drones flying overhead to do this automaticallly.

jeffanitam

Reaction score
Visit site
I was stopped one Sunday morning coming off the Dragon and ask if I had been drinking. I replied by saying that I can hardly ride sober much less drunk. He replied by saying see you.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In some States you dont have to say jack....not sure if its legit thought...someone try it out and post a vid if possible....:thumbup:

LiveLeak.com - DUI Checkpoint Refusal

In Florida the check points are legal, you don't have to answer any questions. You do have to provide a drivers licence, registration, insurance (not required for a MC) however the police are looking for "Probably Cause" to determine if further investigation is required for a DUI.

Slurred speech, the odor of an alcoholic beverage on the breath, blood shot eye's, etc is PC. Just that little bit of the conversation that guy had with the sgt on that video indicated to me they didn't have enough to go further (he didn't slur, seemed to speak normally). Had he slurred, stunk of an alcoholic beverage, etc, things would have gone differently (at least in Florida)...

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
They waved me thru at a control point up here. I think its a bit much to go thru your backpack n stuff. I would be annoyed too.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In some States you dont have to say jack....not sure if its legit thought...someone try it out and post a vid if possible....:thumbup:

LiveLeak.com - DUI Checkpoint Refusal

I would have thought that by not speaking/refusing you would have been nicked?
Are all these stops based on probable cause? Or are they meant to be?

Nelly

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in NC they call them license checks, they ask for your license, reg. and insurance. They ask if you have been drinking to. I answered one time honestly that I had a beer with dinner they waved me on. I was in the truck at the time.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
i dont think theres any probable cause if they are stopping EVERY vehicle that comes down the road......
Im 20, so its not like I was bar hopping or anything, we went to dinner after the autoshow in Atlanta....it wasnt a big deal until they decided to be overzealous with it....something these guys are known for....:(

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in NC they call them license checks, they ask for your license, reg. and insurance. They ask if you have been drinking to. I answered one time honestly that I had a beer with dinner they waved me on. I was in the truck at the time.

We have this in Perth too. I don't have a problem with it. It helps to keep unlicensed or drunk or drug affected drivers and riders off the road.

I think a lot of people would be ok with this if they had lost a loved one to a driver/rider under the influence.

Driving/riding after drinking or doing drugs is just plain dumb.

Now, as for them trying to get you for defects - fender eliminator, loud pipes etc, at the same time, that's a completely different matter...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk