who else got stuck in a cop roadblock?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got pulled over for a license and rego check last weekend. The Police Offier was more interested in my bike than anything, asking me what i had done to the motor, etc...in a friendly way, he even knew that the TRX850 was voted bike of the year in 1996 in Australia....

Once he got confirmation i was licensed and registerd, he let me go on my way...

Just doing his job, and in a friendly manner.

If i had something to hide, i would of been panicking, but i dont, so i guess, apart from the time it added to my ride, i wasnt too annoyed!

:thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
illegal mods? what were they looking for?

I didn't get a good look, but I saw license plates hidden way up under the tails on a couple.

Detaining a very large group of people for hours so you can fish for people that MIGHT be breaking the law is not how police work is done.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you refuse to give a roadside breath test in the US?

Over here if you refuse you are arrested and taken to the Police station to provide a breath/pee sample.
If you refuse at the station then it is taken as a guilty plea.
I have seen a number of intoxicated drivers prosecuted on the grounds of failure to provide a sample.

Nelly

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you refuse to give a roadside breath test in the US?

Over here if you refuse you are arrested and taken to the Police station to provide a breath/pee sample.
If you refuse at the station then it is taken as a guilty plea.
I have seen a number of intoxicated drivers prosecuted on the grounds of failure to provide a sample.

Nelly
I think it's the same in Perth too. Don't think I'd put it to the test though :eek:

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah it the same if you refuse the test you get taken to station and asked for a blood sample. I had a friend loose his license just for refusing to blow. He got hit with a failure to comply. He wasn't drunk and it happened in a parking lot.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Florida the check points are legal, you don't have to answer any questions. You do have to provide a drivers licence, registration, insurance (not required for a MC) however the police are looking for "Probably Cause" to determine if further investigation is required for a DUI.

Slurred speech, the odor of an alcoholic beverage on the breath, blood shot eye's, etc is PC. Just that little bit of the conversation that guy had with the sgt on that video indicated to me they didn't have enough to go further (he didn't slur, seemed to speak normally). Had he slurred, stunk of an alcoholic beverage, etc, things would have gone differently (at least in Florida)...

insurance inst required for a bike in Florida? wow another reason I hate that state. That is just irresponsible.

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I know that we all have our rights and such, but if I get into something like this, I try to make it as pleasant as possible. If I don't have anything to hide, I'm not going to be a dick. Everyone sits here and complains that cops are huge dicks, and yet my guess would be they have to deal with even bigger dicks ALL THE TIME! I like to do my part to make their job a little easier. If it's a little bit of an inconvenience so we can get some of those DUMBASSES off the road that are drunk and are going to kill me or some family going home from a movie, then I am perfectly ok with that. We need to realize they are doing this to make roads safer. I understand that you can refuse, not answer, etc, and that IS your right, but doesn't that pretty much make YOU the dick in this situation? Want to get rid of the profiling about motorcyclists? Don't fit the stereotype.

EDIT: I imagine that I am preaching to the choir with most people here, I just like to rant sometimes. I'm tired of dealing with dumbasses after being in two not at fault wrecks in two months and totaled two bikes, because people are terrible drivers even SOBER. lol.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I guess I'll have to live with being almost alone. I disagree with just about everything here. So called "DUI" enforcement has turned into just another revenue enhancement for ever-increasing big government appetite. What was it that Ben Franklin said...

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I guess I'll have to live with being almost alone. I disagree with just about everything here. So called "DUI" enforcement has turned into just another revenue enhancement for ever-increasing big government appetite. What was it that Ben Franklin said...

+1. Well said. Abusing responsible law abiding citizens doesnt promote respect for authorities.

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
There are already drones overhead - have been for years.
I think everybody here should brush up on the constitution. These stops are illegal and they pretty much count on you just rolling over.

I also hear they have a sniper at 200 meters at every one of these checkpoints....

PAPERS PLEASE

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's an interesting perspective... I got a DWI in a cage a few years back (underage, no less). Regular traffic stop, speeding, had three beers and I was over the limit:ban:. Catch me once shame on me... :Flip:anyhow, I would never ride after even one beer. Simply will not do it, it's stupid. Only Slightly less stupid in a cage, though maybe more irresponsible endangering others. I've never been through a check point, and find the concept absolutely ludicrous. That, to me, is the same concept as police (maybe building inspector?) randomly searching every house in a neighborhood for code violations (wiring, structural, etc.).

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Every year at the beginning of the riding season, around March 15 trough April 15-20 there is a "mandatory" block both ways on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn bridge, I get pulled over there every year, sometimes once some years once-twice a week.
Sometimes they have so many bikes waiting that takes an hour for them to get to you, while you are standing fully geared (hopefully) Sometimes they recognize you and let you go right away.

I think of this as taxes, everyone hates them but they are not going anywhere.

here is a pic from last year 2011.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
insurance inst required for a bike in Florida? wow another reason I hate that state. That is just irresponsible.

Last time I had insurance on a bike was back in Long Island, NY, 1978.

My health insurance covers me in the event I get hurt....

No helmet law down here either, now that's really stupid..

There's usually a DUI death (most without helmets) once a week just in my county... Check points can be a PIA however it does get drunks off the road, and IMHO is fine by me...

I worked many traffic death crashes in my 25 year career as a PO, many of them alcohol related..

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the kind of person that thanks people after they give me a speeding ticket, but pulling hundreds of people over with no probable cause to fish for dirt on them, that's when I start being a dick.

urca

Reaction score
Visit site
St. Patrick's day here the cops had a roadblock set up coming into town, one of them(I presume a fellow rider) walked back through the line of cars to me sitting on my bike - said "hey man, open your visor and touch your nose for me and if you do it on the first try without looking like an idiot then I'll let you go around"

It was pretty cool - obviously I wasn't drinking, and when he asked me I told him "well, my rule is 'it's either a drinking night or a riding night, never both, I'm stupid enough to ride a sportbike but not stupid enough to drink and then ride'", and he walked in front of me and let me go up on the sidewalk around everyone else, and past all the other cops staring at me like "wtf is this guy doing", lol.

Go local cops!

Last edited: