Bike back from the shop, and i'm pissed- $89 for a tire change...

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
$89 dollars?! are you kidding me? i took my bike in last monday with my Pirelli angel ST ready to go on the back. Owner said "we won't be able to get to it tonight but tomorrow if all goes well" well "tomorrow" goes by, and the next day and the next. Yesterday (friday) i get a call saying it's done. Already irked that i was without my bike all week i went in. The owners wife says $89.94...i just look at her for a moment "you're kidding right?" She replies, "Nope thats the shop rate" I pay my cash, and leave in disgust. The guy has rebuilt shocks for me at a decent rate, but i'll never go there again. i could have had all 4 of my cages tires changed TWICE and still be cheaper than what i paid for ONE tire to be mounted and balanced, not to mention i waited a friggen week for it.
/endrant

Anybody else been screwed?

Last edited:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
lol I call your story and raise you THIS:

I asked local dealership how much to mount and balance tires if I bring in JUST the rims and the tires I want mounted (because I'm changing chain myself)...they want $60 PER tire. ugh...:spank:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow i would have expected like 20 bucks per tire with just tire and rim... 60 bucks is outrageous.... i'd rather buy the tools and do it myself than pay what were getting-screwed. lol

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow i would have expected like 20 bucks per tire with just tire and rim... 60 bucks is outrageous.... i'd rather buy the tools and do it myself than pay what were getting-screwed. lol

Oh actually mine was $20 with them taking off the tire LOL. BUT i did buy the tire from them so im sure they made money on that too.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Do it youself... it's free... just need a couple of good tire irons and a Youtube video on how to do it... After you do it once is is super easy...

Richard

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it youself... it's free... just need a couple of good tire irons and a Youtube video on how to do it... After you do it once is is super easy...

Richard

Thats exactly how I learned to change my dirt bike tires!:BLAA:
The local shop wanted 35 bucks to change each tire....I already had tire irons so I figured it out.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For not much more money then you paid you could have bought a tire changer setup from harbor freight, and never have to worry about paying someone to change a tire again

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

D

Dave.TX

I guess we all get burned one time or another. That's why I talk to local bikers and hear their stories, hear where they suggest to go for this or that service. I've had a few people tell me, "Go to this shop and ask for so and so, tell them I sent you." I know that doesn't work all the time but if it does it's great. Sometimes independent shop owners need you to establish with them regardless of who sent you.

Case in point on "it's good to know people": my buddy has a Harley and was riding back from San Antonio the other day and noticed a strange noise at higher speeds but when he slowed down the noise went away. After he got home he raised it up and inspected it. Found out a chunk of rubber was missing from his rear tire! Contacted the guy he bought the tire from (not a dealership) and he's getting a new tire at a 'reduced rate'.

Ride with people, talk to them, go to "repair days" that some groups put on, even if you don't need anything fixed. If you're not a turd then people will be happy to help you out or recommend someone else that won't gyp you when you do need help. I'm finding that out and being proactive in connecting with other riders. I'm the only one that has an FZ6 so far on the group rides I've been on so it doesn't matter.

I'd be angry too that they kept the bike so long for just a tire change. They just lost at least one customer because of it and possibly others if you start talking to local bikers.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

Richard

I've been MX for 10 years, i do know how to change a tire, i just have no time to do it. Working 70+ hrs a week 3rd shift doesn't allow for much time for bike maintenance so i figured i'd drop it off, get it the next day and pay 35 bucks. Nope the a55hole had the balls to charge me 89 bucks. he just lost a customer for life. i know a reputable shop a little further aways that would do it for next to nothing, but i figured i'd support the local MX store... hah, i hope the place burns down so i can take a leak on the ashes :p

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess we all get burned one time or another. That's why I talk to local bikers and hear their stories, hear where they suggest to go for this or that service. I've had a few people tell me, "Go to this shop and ask for so and so, tell them I sent you." I know that doesn't work all the time but if it does it's great. Sometimes independent shop owners need you to establish with them regardless of who sent you.

Case in point on "it's good to know people": my buddy has a Harley and was riding back from San Antonio the other day and noticed a strange noise at higher speeds but when he slowed down the noise went away. After he got home he raised it up and inspected it. Found out a chunk of rubber was missing from his rear tire! Contacted the guy he bought the tire from (not a dealership) and he's getting a new tire at a 'reduced rate'.

Ride with people, talk to them, go to "repair days" that some groups put on, even if you don't need anything fixed. If you're not a turd then people will be happy to help you out or recommend someone else that won't gyp you when you do need help. I'm finding that out and being proactive in connecting with other riders. I'm the only one that has an FZ6 so far on the group rides I've been on so it doesn't matter.

I'd be angry too that they kept the bike so long for just a tire change. They just lost at least one customer because of it and possibly others if you start talking to local bikers.

I agree, i suppose i was lazy and paid the price for it. I know of a place 35 minutes away that i know does good work and the owner is about as fair as a dealer gets, and their service is second to none. The one i took it to (and will never again) was about 5 minutes away and they've done work on my MX bikes before and been reasonable (i suspect it was b/c a buddy of mine did the work, coincidentally he doesn't work there any more) but 89 for a tire change?! I could have bought the front pirelli for that much!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately as the economy has been so sh!ty for so long I have noticed that quite a few shops are raising prices on basic services, tires, oil changes, brakes etc. Mainly smaller shops doing it but I noticed a car shop just down the road from my house charging $40 for a basic oil change!!!

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh i forgot to add: To all newbs to street riding, scrub your tires please, put your ego aside :thumbup: Don't be a Jacka55 like me and pull out WOT from the dealer b/c i was pissed.... rear end quickly let me know that it didn't appreciate full throttle yet lol. Again glad i rode dirt before street!

calair

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the on going rate for the motorcycle tire installation in New York area. (I entered the first zip code in new york from google.)

Preferred Installer Locator

I see that the average price for both tire and wheel installation is about $65 to $75 which is not too far off from $89 you paid.
I know some people take the wheel off themselves and have the shop mount the tire, so paid only half the amount.
I think the local CycleGear store in California charges $25 on the loose tire mount and balance.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A few things people forgot about is. The shop has to pay their employee, pay their insurance, pay their taxes, pay for their tire machine, o yeah and the whole point of being in business is to make money. My dad has a shop in a tiny rural location in upstate NY. His taxes are $15,000 a year alone. I would be willing to bet that anyone complaining about how much it was has never had their own business that requires owning the location and paying the employees..... a air over hydraulic tire machine that is most likely in most of these shops on the cheap end are $4000. Then the electric tire balancer is $1000. To be honest a manual tire changer and balancer is not worth my time. You also stand a very easy chance of scratching the rim....

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
A few things people forgot about is. The shop has to pay their employee, pay their insurance, pay their taxes, pay for their tire machine, o yeah and the whole point of being in business is to make money. My dad has a shop in a tiny rural location in upstate NY. His taxes are $15,000 a year alone. I would be willing to bet that anyone complaining about how much it was has never had their own business that requires owning the location and paying the employees..... a air over hydraulic tire machine that is most likely in most of these shops on the cheap end are $4000. Then the electric tire balancer is $1000. To be honest a manual tire changer and balancer is not worth my time. You also stand a very easy chance of scratching the rim....

As I agree with most you say, $90 to mount and balance a tire is insane!

WIyamirider

Reaction score
Visit site
The local MX shop by me will mount and balance tires for free if you bring in the wheels off the bike.

As to not abuse the privilege, every motorcycle tire I've bought, I've bought through them.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
$158.65 here to get both tires mounted and balanced. Im also convinced they did not balance them correctly. Just so 300 miles on them i pick up a nail in the rear. Plugged her up tho.