Which fuel?

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I just purchased my first bike ever (2006 FZ6) and just to say I am very happy with it as my first bike.

My concern is which is the recommended fuel for it? I tried both premium (93) and regular (87) and it seems it runs better on regular, while majority of the people I run into say I should use premium. I would appreciate any info.

Thank you.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i always use premium. i even drip out the remaining regular in the tube before i insert the nozzle into the tank. that is why my fz6 is elite.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Your manual suggests regular, so save some money and don't piss it away on premium. Like you said, it runs the same and we all agree.

You might want to use the search tab and type in key words, as fuel, oil, and just about everything else that has to do with the bike have all been discussed to death. This search function is only available once you become a member. Looks like you'll have hours of reading to do and catch up.

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

I am looking forward to catching up on these forums and learning as much as possible.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
I always use the best gas. Average fillup = 4ish gallons, extra 20cents a gallon = less than one doll hair.

Times 100 fillups = one mod you don't get because you threw your money away.

I'll get :spank: for this but...'the best' gas is the one that is compatible with your engine, which is not necessarily the highest priced gas. The highest priced gas is the highest octane, octane levels determine how much pressure is needed to get the best burn (more octane needs more pressure, if memory serves...)

Put high octane gas in a low pressure engine and you get a bad burn.

Put low octane gas in a high pressure engine and you burn a hole in the cylinder or piston, this is commonly referred to as 'bad'.

What happens is 'predetonation', the fuel ignites before the piston has reached the top of the cylinder. When something is compressed, it's temperature tends to rise, apply that to compressing an explosion and you see the problem.

The FZ6 is designed to run on 87 Octane (as determined by the (R+M)/2 method - what they use in the States, which is all you really need to know) using higher octanes is like flushing money down the toilet.

W

wrightme43

And to boot it actually makes a small amount less power. So it costs more, and makes less power.

Regular baby.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
As Wrightme43 said, 87 actually burns hotter than 91. Because it burns hotter, it actually makes more power as well. The only advantage to higher octane fuels is it's tolerance to pre-detonation, which is why it is used/recommended in higher compression engines. The FZ6 was designed to run on 87 and will get the best performance out of 87. 91 octane fuel would be a waste of money and will make your bike run more poorly.

S

sportrider

87 octane, if you feel the need to spend more you can send me the difference in the price of fuel :thumbup:

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site
For my 2008 FZ6, the MOM says to use an octane rated 86 or "higher" [(R+M)/2]. That isn't exactly a recommendation to use 87 octane. It says, to me, not to use anything LESS than 86. It goes on to say "if knocking or pinging occurs, use a different brand or premium unleaded fuel. I totally agree that engines with low compression ratios do not benefit from high octane fuel. My MOM also lists 12.2:1 as the compresson ratio for this engine. I guess it's relative as far as what defines a high compression or high performance engine. I don't think an octane rating of 92 would be harmful in any way. However adding octane boosters or trying to find 100+ (octane) is ridiculous. That said, I just get the middle grade, i.e. 89 octane. I'm more anal about the PLACES I get fuel. I try to use Amoco or Shell gasoline all the time. I once stopped at one of these convenience stores for some gas for the Honda CRV and two days later my MIL light came on. One of the oxygen sensors failed. $200 for a new one, ouch! Since then it has been BP all the way Baby!

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I cannot really add to these posts. If you use what is recommended you will have no problem.

For me, I tested all three grades. I tried the Regular 87, Super 89 and Premium 91 octane fuel and found my engine liked the mid-grade Super 89. It did not like the Regular 87 octane as it ran not as smooth - but it ran.

Do your own test, run the three and see which your engine likes.

abner

Reaction score
Visit site
okay, here is what I have gathered over the years...

1) high compression motors (10:1 or better) require higher octane fuels due to compressing the fuel makes it more volitial.

1) low octane fuels burn give less of an explosion and can predetonate, which will actually make your bike run hotter. keep in mind it is not the fire in your motor that cause the bulk of the heat, but the friction of the cylinders. the exhausting of the burn actuallt releases heat.

2) high octane burns at the precise time that it should making a clean burn.

W

wrightme43

High Compression in the small cyls. in our bike is somewhat different.

Low octane fuels do not give less of a explosion (in all actuality it is not a explosion, it is a advancing flame front with a resultant pressure wave). They actually provide more energy. Our bikes do not predetonate on 87 octane fuel.

The burning of the fuel is actually the main cause of heat in a engine. Friction is really not a huge cause of heat in a engine.

The exhaust does most definitely remove heat, as does the intake charge cool the cyl. The valves, head, cyl, are cooled with water and oil contact, the piston, rod, and crank are cooled with oil, the piston as well with the intake charge.

High octane fuel in a motor that needs it, works great, you can have advanced timing, with high compression. We do not have high compression (for a small motor like ours) with highly advanced timing.

It is unecessary. Use it, have at it, but know that it provides no real benifit.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Regular 87 is just fine. Even my FJR runs fine on 87. Premimum for is for engines that "ping" on lower grades of fuel.
Utah has regular gas that is 85 octane, 2 seperate times I put it in my FJR by mistake (forgot their reg. was 85) Both times the bike was not happy. It would sputter a bit from the start but ran ok on the road. Each time I ran out a half a tank and topped off withthe premimum and all was well.

It is better to use premimum in your lawn and garden equipment (chain saws etc) as the fuel will lose octane when sitting around even with fuel stablizer.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
87 Octane all day long with no problems. I remember the days of filling up my tank for 5 bucks:rolleyes:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Our fuel in australia has always been know to be below average. CFuel issues here are a common problem, so i only run 98 in both bike and car, with hopes of paying more will get decsent fuel.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheapest at the pump unless you hear excessive pings. Try another station before upgrading the grade. Yes, your MPG and performance can be affected by the station's additives at the racks!!

cobalt

Cobalt '08
Reaction score
Visit site
SSB magazine did a Dyno test with all 3 US octanes (87,89,92) on a bike with 12.5 compression. Our beloved FZ6 has 12.2 compression.

92 made more horsepower (actually about one horsepower more than 89) , which leads me to believe that it is better to run 92. Like so many have said, once you reach the most efficient burn characteristics, more octane would lower the horsepower numbers.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
High Compression in the small cyls. in our bike is somewhat different.

Low octane fuels do not give less of a explosion (in all actuality it is not a explosion, it is a advancing flame front with a resultant pressure wave). They actually provide more energy. Our bikes do not predetonate on 87 octane fuel.

The burning of the fuel is actually the main cause of heat in a engine. Friction is really not a huge cause of heat in a engine.

The exhaust does most definitely remove heat, as does the intake charge cool the cyl. The valves, head, cyl, are cooled with water and oil contact, the piston, rod, and crank are cooled with oil, the piston as well with the intake charge.

High octane fuel in a motor that needs it, works great, you can have advanced timing, with high compression. We do not have high compression (for a small motor like ours) with highly advanced timing.

It is unecessary. Use it, have at it, but know that it provides no real benifit.
Speaking of explosions...detonation is not always a complete burning of the fuel. It can be a small pocket of fuel that ignites then the rest ignites when it's supposed to from the spark plug. The swirling air through the throttle body, around the valves, into the cylinder, and pushed around by the piston heads do not all have the exact same air/fuel ratio. Some piston heads even have a sloped surface to give the air on one side a higher compression for a *tiny* bit of time to offset the fact that most spark plugs are on one side of the combustion chamber and not in the center. The burn will progress from the spark plug and out to the rest of the chamber. It doesn't all burn at the same rate at the same time. A spark plug that is rated too hot can also cause bad tings because the heat from the spark plug will be enough to trigger ignition as the compression rises but before the actual spark is supposed to happen.

Last edited:

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
i try to stick to a newer looking station avoiding older contaminated tanks. and yes, i think its better to buy regular because its the most popular=fresher gas in the holding tank