Which brake to use?

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I'm a newb to riding (about 2 mos). Well I laid my bike down 2 wks ago due to locking the rear wheel. So my dad who rode all of his childhood and now again told me not to ever really use the rear brake and that all he uses is the front brake. And since getting back on the bike I have to admit I'm pretty hesitant to use the rear brake.

My question is when to use the front brake and when to use the rear brake? I had been using the rear brake before curves to knock a little speed off then letting off of it before entering. And also using the rear brake to start the slowing down process then using the front brake to really stop. Now after my accident I catch myself just using the front brake for most everything.

What should I do? Thanks guys.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I primarily use the front: hard stopping, trail braking into turns, etc.

I use the rear as a secondary tool: breaking in low traction conditions (gravel, dirt, oily intersections), duirng slow speed manuvers, when cresting a hill under WOT.

On pavement, the front will and should be your primary brake, but the rear should not be completely cast aside.

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
i locked my back brake up too once but i got lucky im tall i was able to keep my balance somehow. It is nerve wrecking, after that i got paranoid for a bit to hit the rear, but trust me allways use both brakes even on turns, slow downs or to make a complete stop. just the front brake can be a worse outcome, Just train youself to use both, on a turn maybe roll of the throttle sooner. Also practice practice brakieng so you know how far you can go on them. Like a new car you ease the brakes on so you dont lock them up you have to learn the limits on the bike thats what worked for me

goodluck be safe :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I primarily use the front: hard stopping, trail braking into turns, etc.

I use the rear as a secondary tool: breaking in low traction conditions (gravel, dirt, oily intersections), duirng slow speed manuvers, when cresting a hill under WOT.

On pavement, the front will and should be your primary brake, but the rear should not be completely cast aside.

Good advise.

I only use the rear under 10mph.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should use both brakes all the time!

Reason being, it provides maximum braking and provides the shortest distance to stop. Therefoe by always applying both brakes, and in the event you need to do an emergency stop, it will come naturally.

This is a survival skill! Go practice. It takes skill to progressively squeeze both brakes without locking them up. Skidding actually increases your stoppping distance.

The front brake provides 70% or more of your stopping power. Rear brake at best, 35%. As you apply your front brakes, your forward momentum transfers all the weight forward, to the front of the bike. Causing the front tire to grip harder due to friction. As the front forks starts to compress back, is when the weight of the bike starts to shift towards the rear, resulting the rear tire to provide more stopping power.

You should go sign up to take the Basic Rider's Course by the MSF. You might learn a few more things, which might help prevent you from laying your bike down by doing the wrong things, or it may help you avoid serious injuries or even death.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just like in a car (except the car does it automatically)

70% of the braking is up front, use them both but the front takes the brunt of it and that is why there are 2 rotors and larger pads up front and just a tiny one on the rear

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I rarely use my my rear brake. Basically only in emergencys. When I go to the twistys, it never gets touched. The track is a very good place to use your rear, but its hard to get used to if you never use it on the street.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should use both brakes all the time!

Reason being, it provides maximum braking and provides the shortest distance to stop. Therefoe by always applying both brakes, and in the event you need to do an emergency stop, it will come naturally.

This is a survival skill! Go practice. It takes skill to progressively squeeze both brakes without locking them up. Skidding actually increases your stoppping distance.

The front brake provides 70% or more of your stopping power. Rear brake at best, 35%. As you apply your front brakes, your forward momentum transfers all the weight forward, to the front of the bike. Causing the front tire to grip harder due to friction. As the front forks starts to compress back, is when the weight of the bike starts to shift towards the rear, resulting the rear tire to provide more stopping power.

You should go sign up to take the Basic Rider's Course by the MSF. You might learn a few more things, which might help prevent you from laying your bike down by doing the wrong things, or it may help you avoid serious injuries or even death.

I agreee 100% with this.. Something not mentioned, should you go into a corner and find some sand/loose debris/standing water, you don't want to stand on your front brake as you will go down.. That situation calls for using mostly the rear brake and keep the bike upright..

I use both most of the time (under normal circumstances) and keep the front brake lever covered as well (with at least 2 fingers) to lessen reaction time/distance should/when a cage pulls out in front of you...

S

sm00thpapa

I apply both front and rear brake everytime. Mainly 60% front 40% rear. I have only been riding for a month and havn't had a problem with wheel lock up. Just like a car, apply the brakes slowly and smoothly and you should be fine.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
My second time out on the FZ I locked up the rear brake - twice! It's no fun to see the back end of the bike coming around on you. So for a while I used only the front brake. A couple of weeks ago I went to an empty parking lot and practiced emergency braking for a couple of hours. I now use both brakes but primarily the front for the most stopping power. The rear bake is very touchy and you cannot apply too much pressure. Practice, practice, practice.

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the opinion of BOTH IS BEST.

For a different point of view, I rode dirt most of my life and in the loose gravel around the hills where i live it's almost impossible to ride without locking the rear. Over time you can learn to use the slide to help get around the corner (assuming that you were braking for a corner, not an emergency).

I know some experienced riders might not like this idea, however, once you are comfortable with your braking you should be able to trail brake into corners and then blast out the other side. It's not going to be the fastest way but it can be fun :eek:

Now that I'm 100% on road it has taken a while to adjust to the different grip levels offered by different road surfaces, but from time to time i'll carry a bit of speed into a corner, jump on the rear, lock it and use the front to wash-off the rest.

Now I'm NOT telling you to ride like this, just pointing out that locking the rear doesn't have to mean instant disaster! Like most here have said, practice your skills! ride safe.

Keep us informed of your progress. :thumbup:

:aus: :aus: :aus:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great thread and there are so many of us with a lot of great, varying, experience.
Braking is an extremely important subject and it should be practiced as well as studied. It is probably the primary action other than acceleration that will bring you to an unfortunate event. There are many scenarios that factor into why we lose traction on the rear wheel and why it seems to get us into trouble so easily.
I would say the number one factor that has ever caused me a problem with braking is ME! I had to get my self to that place where braking became an issue of survival. That out of the way, I would say understanding why that back wheel, with only one brake caliper, more tire patch, and percentage of weight will tend to lock up before that front wheel with two calipers, less tire patch, and less percentage weight.

In my personal experience of riding as well as seeing this first hand and reading, the weight ratio from the back wheel transfers to the front wheel when braking. That and also the fact that in a survival reaction your off the throttle (engine breaking). The engine, unless you've pulled the clutch in or, depending on what gear you're in is acting as a brake. This compression braking from the engine braking is added to the caliper breaking, which added to the weight transference has left us with much less efficiency at the back wheel as a brake. One more factor that is important to consider in locking that rear wheel is you lose one of your gyroscopes. Yes you have 2 gyroscopes on your bike. Your front wheel and your back wheel. Ever think about why when you're not rolling it's so hard to not put your feet down? Yup, those wheels are gyroscopes! They tend to want to stay in the attitude they are present in. So if you have your two gyroscopes in a vertical attitude they oppose forces that want to change them from that vertical position. Once you're rolling it becomes much easier to keep from falling over.

Okay now when you lock up that rear wheel you add another problem to keeping your bike stable. Your back gyroscope is no longer operating. All of these changes added together can very quickly and dramatically change the bike we normally ride.

I apologize for being a little wordy but I think this subject is very important and deserves a little extra understanding and thought on our parts.

Have Fun!
Cliff

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great thread and there are so many of us with a lot of great, varying, experience.

+1 to that. It is always good to hear experiences from other riders about something that is so critical when you are riding out there. From my personal experience, if you grab on to the brake, either front or rear, you are going to lock it up. Make sure you practice squeezing the brake and not grabbing it.

Now the rear brake is easier to lock up because when you start slowing down rapidly your weight shifts to the front and the rear wheel loses traction so it locks up. I personally use both brakes when coming to a halt in non emergency situations usually starting with the rear and then using the front to come to a stop. In an emergency situation squeeze on the front more and lightly tap the rear. Just keep in mind to not shift your weight to the front drastically.

Another tip for you to slow down is to try and use as much engine braking as possible. Do not pull in the clutch until the last moment when you come to a halt, and do not worry so much about down shifting. Keep the clutch covered, but pull in only when you feel you are about to stall the engine.

My $0.02.

-Manas.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
I use both 99% of the time.. there are only certain conditions where I wont use one of the other, mostly pertaining to gravel or sand on the street..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a fact that you must apply both brakes in order to achieve the shortest stopping distance, so why would anyone get use to only using one brake or the other? It's a good habit to get use to. It just may save your life!

As your riding skills develop, you can start applying one or the other under certain situations that may benefit you under certain situations. Like trail braking.

Just remember what you need to do if either tire locks up. Not knowing what to do involving a front or rear tire skid, you have no business riding a motorcycle.

Riding a bike involves just as much mental skills as your riding ability, or if not more. Not only do you need to have the skills and ability to ride, but you have to have the knowledge as well.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a few emergency situations and used both brakes but would pump my front break to steer more effectively and i was light on the back brake. Worked in both situations. I will always use the back break lightly in all braking

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a few emergency situations and used both brakes but would pump my front break to steer more effectively and i was light on the back brake. Worked in both situations. I will always use the back break lightly in all braking

If it's really an emergency and you need to get your bike stopped, why would you even consider releasing your brakes? Unless the front tire is skidding, you can't allow the weight of the bike to transfer back, you're going to lose precious friction that you need for that front tire to help you stop. The difference of one or two feet could be the difference of you going to the hospital or just riding away saying "phew, that was close." Keep both brakes applied with a progressive squeeze until you get to the point that it's almost going to start skidding.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's really an emergency and you need to get your bike stopped, why would you even consider releasing your brakes? Unless the front tire is skidding, you can't allow the weight of the bike to transfer back, you're going to lose precious friction that you need for that front tire to help you stop. The difference of one or two feet could be the difference of you going to the hospital or just riding away saying "phew, that was close." Keep both brakes applied with a progressive squeeze until you get to the point that it's almost going to start skidding.

thinking the same thing..

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I also try to use both brakes all the time. I do it primarily so I know where the limits are so when (not if, but when) I need to make an emergency stop, I should be able to stop faster with better control without having to think about it. Call it muscle memory.