Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

• Inside the house

Votes: 27 3.8%
  • Heated garage/workshop

Votes: 120 17.0%
  • Unheated garage/shed

Votes: 301 42.6%
  • Outside under cover

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • Keep? I ride All year round!

Votes: 203 28.8%

• Total voters

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
FTFY. Must get through some tyres squaring them off like that, lol.

I just got back from a two week vacation in Florida. Rode my dad's bikes and it reconfirmed my feelings... I'd rather freeze in hills/turns/scenery than get more open/straight/boring roads. Quality over quantity.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
We have 5 bikes in total...Hoping to add anothe bike (see my thread Possible New Bike in the Garage)

1 bike in the house - 1986 Honda VFR750 (hubbys baby)
3 bikes in shed hubby built in backyard especially for the bikes. My 2006 Triumph Sprint ST, hubby's 2005 Honda VFR800, and our son's 2005 Suzuki SV650s. The shed has a one car rollup garage door. Hubby made it as big as he could without getting a city permit. heehee
1 bike (dirt bike) is stored in our cargo trailer hooked up to our SUV full-time in the backyard. He takes it riding during the winter months. I am happy to stay home.

We did trailer the bikes over the hill to warmer weather between Christmas and New Years, but too much sand and possible ice on roads in town during the winter to ride. (see my thread December Ride Report).

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from a two week vacation in Florida. Rode my dad's bikes and it reconfirmed my feelings... I'd rather freeze in hills/turns/scenery than get more open/straight/boring roads. Quality over quantity.

I agree.

Chilly twisty roads over straight warm roads any day...

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you guys winterize your fZ6's? On my old Honda I used to pull the battery, put defogger in the spark pugs and threw in some fuel stabalizer. The Honda was stored in an unheated shed all winter. My fz6 is stored in heated underground parking. All I did to winterize the FZ6 was put fuel stabilizer in. The battery is too hard for me to get too to take out and I have no outlets around to take advantage of the battery tender. Basically I just start it up for 5 min every month or so to make sure everythings still working.

e30_325es

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride if it's over 35deg and dry out. Last year I was able to ride at least 2 days a month through the winter. I have a battery tender that I leave on it on longer cold stretches in my unheated garage.

catzo

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually ride it all year, even if it's raining cats and dogs.

"V"

Hahahaha this is awesome. Come to canada sometime. Rain isnt the issue.

Actually this winter is amazing so far, I couldve ridden today! Thats insane in december. Never seen a winter this warm in my life. So I might just keep the bike out a little longer. Normally its in the garage by late october early november.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Hahahaha this is awesome. Come to canada sometime. Rain isnt the issue.

Actually this winter is amazing so far, I couldve ridden today! Thats insane in december. Never seen a winter this warm in my life. So I might just keep the bike out a little longer. Normally its in the garage by late october early november.

It is warm for December! Id be out riding but they have already salted the roads several times and I'm not letting any of that touch my sweet sweet metal.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
ACF50 protects the bike from salt.

The annoying thing for me is that it's right on the tipping point for using my heated gloves. It feels almost cold enough for them, until about half way to work when my fingers start cooking. I've not bothered with a heat controller as the gloves are too bulky to use one on the fly anyway, and usually by now if it's cold enough to use them, it's cold enough to leave them on full.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Our dilemma every year is where to stash all the bikes. We have 7 bikes.
My hubby built a shed with a one-car roll up door (he made it as large as he could without getting a city building permit - heehee) that holds three bikes comfortably plus other miscellaneous items. It isn't heated, but it is insulated and has electricity.
That leaves 4 more bikes....
My new Triumph Street Triple R is spending the winter in the house. He is all winterized & covered (to protect seat from cats) with a battery tender.
That leaves 3 more bikes....
Hubby's Honda 919 is in the attached garage perpendicular to where I park my car. Hopefully the brakes work on my car even when snowy/icy out. heehee or the bike gets it.
That leave 2...
Hubbies dirt bike is in our enclosed cargo trailer (it's a dirt bike, who cares if it stays warm... besides he rides dirt in the winter when conditions warrant)
That leave 1...
Our son's SV650 is now parked in his garage (he lives in our rental house - great way to get your 20 year old son out of the house) He almost has it all put back together after his crash. All on his dime.
That covers it. We were going to trailer our touring bikes somewhere for a warm getaway over New Years, but we have 6 inches of snow blocking motorcycle shed & trailer. Not going anywhere until it melts. With these temps, not going to happen anytime soon.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just rented a garage, 50$ per month.
Not to winterize, just to keep it dry, when I pull it out in the mornings.
Except snow and heavy rain, I ride my bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride through the winter here in Reno, where the elevation is almost 5000 feet. I don't own a car. It's ride or take the bus.

20160105_104336%201_zpsrzpurymy.jpg

20151228_175007%201_zpsvgvbrzxx.jpg

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
Mines in my uncle's shed. I live in a small townhouse community so it's hard to find a storage area in my neighborhood. I took off the seat, airfilter, tank cover, filled with premium and mixed with stabil. Then covered it up and threw a couple rodent repellant baggies under the bike. Now she sits and awaits spring time. I just bought it in Aug of last year and only put about 1700 miles before I put it away. Come spring new exhaust, tank pad, 12V plug, phone holder, rim strips, short levers perhaps. See what else I can spend my tax returns on!

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk