When using the rear brake...

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
When using the rear brake do you have to pick your foot up in order to hit the brake lever? I have to pick my foot up off the peg to get on top of the brake lever and this seems bad for stability and ease of braking. I thought maybe it was just my geometry from being over 6' so I'm asking if it's what everyone else has to do.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember feeling awkward with that when I first got the bike, but it seems normal now. It would be very easy to take the single bolt out the holds the lever in place, re-position the lever a few indexes lower, and drop the bolt back in.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember feeling awkward with that when I first got the bike, but it seems normal now. It would be very easy to take the single bolt out the holds the lever in place, re-position the lever a few indexes lower, and drop the bolt back in.

Thats exactly what i was going to suggest. :thumbup:

I have short feet, so experienced exactly the same thing...rearsets would fix it even better.

:thumbup:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
When using the rear brake do you have to pick your foot up in order to hit the brake lever?

Yes, that's the way I ride. I experimented after I got my FZ and tried lowering the lever so I could comfortably ride with my foot on the lever. That seemed to require an awkward amound toe-travel to apply the brake adequately, so I adjusted it back up and normally ride with my heels on the pegs, toes out.

It would be very easy to take the single bolt out the holds the lever in place, re-position the lever a few indexes lower, and drop the bolt back in.

Actually the rear brake lever height is easily adjustable without removing it:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6-2 also and had the same problem but was going to suggest the same also. Just take the single bolt out and readjust it.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with the ball of my foot on the peg. I have the slide my foot forward to use the brake. Are you guys saying that you should be able to reach the brake by just tilting your foot (ie not sliding it foward)??

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think lifting your foot is the whole idea so you don't ride the brake. Not sure what height has to do with it, I'm 6'6" and it doesn't seem abnormal for me to lift my foot to hit the rear brake.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with the ball of my foot on the peg. I have the slide my foot forward to use the brake. Are you guys saying that you should be able to reach the brake by just tilting your foot (ie not sliding it foward)??

With the stock rearsets I rode with the ball of my foot on the peg but was never comfortable with the extra motion required in an emergency so I put on aftermarkets that moved my foot position back and up. My toe is in about the same place as before but the back of my arch is now on the peg. Then positioned the brake lever down so that I have to make a noticeable tilt down motion to engage.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never ride with my foot covering the rear brake. Ball of foot on the peg, then forward to engage the brake. I did adjust mine down a notch after I got it. Same with the shifter... Adjusted that one down a bit too.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
What I'm saying is that I can't simply slide my foot forward and be on top of the brake lever. If I slide my foot straight forward I will hit the lever so I have to physically lift my whole boot up off the peg to get clearance over the brake lever.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah you don't want to be lifting your foot to apply the brake. As other have said, adjust it lower, simply loosen the two nuts, spin the bolt to make the adjustment. You may need to try a couple of positions to find what you like. Ideally you want the rear brake adjust so you can't lock the rear wheel: ie you don't need to bleed the heck out of it and have the lever too far up. Low and loose. If you lock in panic you may lose control of the bike.