What's your Christmas tradition?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Christmas Eve is almost here, are you ready! :) Do you have some tradition that is really important for you, something that makes Christmas so special?

I've spent Christmas in different places and in different companies too. Sometimes, like this year I'm planning to, I've stayed at home by myself. I guess I don't have a big list of traditions but I usually prepare a good dinner with about ten different desserts, light a few candles and maybe listen some Christmas songs on the radio or watch a movie on TV. And of course open the presents. :D (We get to do that already on Christmas Eve.)

I like Christmas time a lot. It doesn't have a great religious meaning to me, but I don't want it to be too commercial either. I like to take the time to eat well, rest and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Please share your Christmas traditions.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The best tradition of all...the Christmas eve ride, not on bikes but what ever vehicular monstrosity you can come up with to go mud bogging in, just make sure to bring a good tow rope and a case of beer!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My kids are 2 and 5, so we're just starting to do traditions. So far, our big one is that we host Christmas Eve dinner with our family. I make my famous Cioppino and we all dress up and have a formal dinner. Afterward, we drink eggnog and my father-in-law reads "The Night Before Christmas" to the kids. I never thought of it as a tradition, but we've been doing it for several years, so I guess it is :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no family, and if any of my friends ask what I'm doing I tell them I'm spending it with "other" friends.
Then, after I've lied to everyone, I go skiing! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no family, and if any of my friends ask what I'm doing I tell them I'm spending it with "other" friends.
Then, after I've lied to everyone, I go skiing! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
LMAO! :rof::rof:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My kids are 2 and 5, so we're just starting to do traditions. So far, our big one is that we host Christmas Eve dinner with our family. I make my famous Cioppino and we all dress up and have a formal dinner. Afterward, we drink eggnog and my father-in-law reads "The Night Before Christmas" to the kids. I never thought of it as a tradition, but we've been doing it for several years, so I guess it is :thumbup:

Now you made me hungry! Lisa and I are on a mission to try and find some decent shell fish to make Cioppino!. We are originally from the northeast with a lot of Italian influenced foods and miss the great seafood. We've never found anything great here in SoCal (except Shin Sushi in OC.)for seafood so you really have to do it yourself. :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Christmas? You mean the day the Jews take over the town....

Um, like most Jews, I'll be going to the movies and eating Chinese food. This year, I'm taking advantage of the crazy deals for ski lodging and going skiing all weekend. Best day ever...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I am off I do the cooking for Christmas day and St Stephens day.
My prep starts X-mas eve and I really enjoy making a great feast for all of the extended family. That is one of the nicest things I can give to them.

Nelly

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont really know how it started but we always have a quiet family meal at the local chinese restaurant , a few drinks & then the restaurant owners pull out the keyboard & the whole place starts singing carols :thumbup:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont really know how it started but we always have a quiet family meal at the local chinese restaurant , a few drinks & then the restaurant owners pull out the keyboard & the whole place starts singing carols :thumbup:

LMAO....like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WcFObgYhI]Christmas Story-Fa ra ra - YouTube[/ame]

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

:rof:
My wife and I do almost the same thing on Christmas Eve. We go to our favorite sushi restaurant (for 20 years now) take the sushi chef/owner a very nice bottle of sake and stay until after all of the non regulars leave and eat sushi and drink lots of cold sake from little teak boxes. It's a little scary when Yoshi starts getting drunk and is still using those sharp knives like it's nothing. :eek:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
since i live kinda close to nyc...friends and family go to rockafeller center and see da tree almost every year

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
At the moment I have a single room apartment so I don't have quite enough free space for a proper x-mas tree. So yesterday I got the idea that I'll decorate the coffee tree I have. It's about 180 cm tall and the branches are strong enough to hold a few tree ornaments. :D I'll post you a picture when I get it finished.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
We became "empty nesters" this year so having both my sons home for Christmas will be a little more special,as long as they don't stay for a week;)

We always spend Christmas Eve with my wife's family and Christmas Day with my brothers family, both live within driving distance.

This year I lost my Mom, Aunt, my wife's Uncle and our friends 18 year son who grew up with my son. :( As the life clock seems to tick a bit faster these family gatherings are just that much more special.

The only difficult part is not spending too much time grazing at the food table:eek:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
This year I lost my Mom, Aunt, my wife's Uncle and our friends 18 year son who grew up with my son. :( As the life clock seems to tick a bit faster these family gatherings are just that much more special.
:

I feel for you and for all of your loses, but keep your head held high. this time of year can be especially rough after loosing family in the same year, but cherish the family you still have that much more!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel for you and for all of your loses, but keep your head held high. this time of year can be especially rough after loosing family in the same year, but cherish the family you still have that much more!

Thanks Chevy! I hope I didn't sound to down. I also had some really great times this year too.

This board is a nice extended family to fall back on when the sh*t hits the fan. A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all :rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chevy! I hope I didn't sound to down. I also had some really great times this year too.

This board is a nice extended family to fall back on when the sh*t hits the fan. A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all :rockon:

No you didn't sound too down but it hit close to home because I lost a uncle and my grand father who was like a second dad to me this year so I just know how it is going through the first holiday season with out them