Hello. Heck of a way to introduce myself...

stark23x

Reaction score
Visit site
My story: Years of riding cruisers, wanted something different. Wife agreed that my birthday this year was a good excuse to but something mildly sporty. I picked up a 1995 Seca II (XJ600) and really enjoyed riding it. I did not enjoy the incessant maintenance or the ten minute warm-up every time I let it sit more than an hour. Or the intermittent vacuum failures on the pet**** even though literally every part in the system was new and checked by four different people.

So when a nice 2005 FZ6 came around my local dealer, I jumped on it. They put a brand new tire on the rear, tuned it, changed oil & fluids and gave me a decent price. Picked it up on a Thursday, did paperwork, transferred reg, etc. Rode it home. Immediately fell in love. Friday morning, I took my Hyperlites off the XJ and installed them on the FZ. I decided to go for a short ride before dinner. Ten minutes in, I wanted to pull over and see if the double-sided tape was really holding the Hyperlites to the underside of the fender eliminator bracket. I saw a turnoff I've used a hundred times before.

I saw the patch of sandy gravel but it looked packed down, and like I said I've used this turnoff a million times. STUPID DECISION. It's this perfect picturesque spot to take motorcycle glamor shots. :) I started to pull in and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I was going maybe 4, 5 miles an hour and that gravel was mostly sand. Rear tire just went right out. I sat on the ground staring at the bike for a good three minutes until someone stopped and asked me if I was OK.

I was. I lifted the bike and assessed. It was a lot of plastic damage, some frame scrapes, mirrors snapped off, but it started. No fluids came out of anywhere. The mirrors were aftermarket with signals and were swinging by the wires. I decided they were fine just swinging. STUPID DECISION. What I should have done was cut both mirrors off and stuff them in my pocket.

Rode home, the mirror on the non-crashed side had flipped up in the wind and flopped down inside the fairing, went to turn in the driveway, the steering was jammed, I couldn't move the bars in either direction, I panicked and grabbed a handful of clutch, but I also grabbed the brake. Hard.

As you all know, the brakes on this bike are pretty decent up front. Tipped over right in front of my own house, bike fell on my leg, smashed the opposite side signal, plastic and my pride. No frame damage though since I provided a nice barrier between the bike and the street. The mirror was jammed in there pretty good.

Every part of the fairing has damage now, mostly in mounting points. So that's a lot of plastic I just bought. The headlight assembly broke all but the one main mounting tab. Shockingly though, the windscreen didn't get a single scratch.

So now I am ordering parts and waiting. I've replaced and re-wired the signals, and fixed some really suspect wiring the previous owner did with the HID upgrade. Probably wouldn't have ever seen any of that without this crash. I have the Color Rite silver frame paint already, so I can minimize the frame damage. And when it's all over the plastics will all be brand new, so she will be very pretty. Eventually.

Every day I feel like a complete idiot.

Y2fNg2Fl.jpg

vKxAlLEl.jpg

v2bIHq7l.jpg

Z67zWB4l.jpg

Album link: Crrrrrash (New-to-me 2005 FZ6) - Imgur

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude!!! I feel your pain. :eek:

But hey, Welcome to the forum!

I cannot see the pics you posted. Best method I've found is to load them into the album on this forum then from the album view, copy the link at the bottom of the picture view. Helps to use the BB link version because it already has the tags to cause the pic to display.

Chris

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Know you're not alone.
My gf bought a 2006 GS500F. We had it all polished up and lookin nice. She tipped it over on the first ride out on it.

Last fall i was riding with a friend. He recently bought a VFR1200. While riding his gps popped out of the mount, coming to a stop it cought between the fork tube and the frame. Over he went.

Both incidents were slow speed, no one was physically hurt in either instance... My gf's ego was majorly crushed though..

But now she's over it, out riding that little GS500 like crazy and loves it!
No worrys, ego's heal and plastic can be replaced!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that sounds like a series of events that I would go through! Glad you're not hurt much. Like The Paragon said, plastic can be replaced, body parts, not so much. Take care and be sure to post more pictures when you have it looking all pretty and shiny again.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the mishap(s); glad to hear that you made it out of it on the up and up.
If you find that you need any random bits or pieces, please feel free to send me a PM at any time (I have a great condition 05' that I am parting out and I am not too far from you).

All that said... :welcome:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Happens to the best of us. :(

The first year owning my FZ6 I laid it over while parking in my office parking lot, coworkers witnessed it from the office window. I have never heard the end of it. No damage to the bike though since my hand basically broke the handlebars fall and my frame slider protected the rest of the side from touching.

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch for the pride and the wallet!

Low speed tip happens to the best of us, mine was doing a u turn on a narrow country road, thought I was almost around but too close to the edge of the road and the big pile of gravel.

Once she's up and running the fz6 is amazing, enjoy!

stark23x

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome and sorry to hear about you off, now don't lie but did you get an earful from wifee ?

My wife is frigging awesome. She immediately calmed me down and told me it didn't matter what it costs to fix as long as I was safe. She's really, really supportive about my hobby and she hasn't given me crap.

Yet.

In a few weeks, when the bike is 100% and I've calmed down she'll start the mockery ;)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really Sorry to hear about your accident(s) :( pleased that you're OK. I've had an off due to loose gravel/mud at low speed and my pride took a bit of a knock but luckily we learn from our mistakes :thumbup:.

:welcome: to the forum Stark, hopefully it will help with the rebuild.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: TO THE BEST FORUM AROUND!!
Now while your replacing the parts I would recommend some higher quality frame sliders. They may help in the future. Just sayin..:D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Despite being a new member, I see you have managed to find the "Hall of Shame" area of the forum, as you can see, you're not alone.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, that is rough. Well, now that you've got that out of the way you can have some fun. I'm not far from you in CT. My season is wrapping up but hope to see you out there soon.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum on the big WWW!

Glad you're okay and thanks for sharing the importance of not having dangling parts interfere with controls.

We have a great group here and I'm sure you'll enjoy our big family! :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK. That is one tough lesson and thankfully it was the final leg of your journey and not a moment in traffic where cars could flatten you!

On the way home from work I recently shoved some steaks and shrimp above the cluster. Hindsight says it woulda sucked entering the HOS due to Shrimp in my triple.... They kept jumping out so in the coat they went!

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife is frigging awesome. She immediately calmed me down and told me it didn't matter what it costs to fix as long as I was safe. She's really, really supportive about my hobby and she hasn't given me crap.

Yet.

In a few weeks, when the bike is 100% and I've calmed down she'll start the mockery ;)

good to hear, my wifee is same when it comes to riding, she just wants me to come home in 1 piece, happy fixing :thumbup::cheer:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My story: Years of riding cruisers, wanted something different. Wife agreed that my birthday this year was a good excuse to but something mildly sporty. I picked up a 1995 Seca II (XJ600) and really enjoyed riding it. I did not enjoy the incessant maintenance or the ten minute warm-up every time I let it sit more than an hour. Or the intermittent vacuum failures on the pet**** even though literally every part in the system was new and checked by four different people.

So when a nice 2005 FZ6 came around my local dealer, I jumped on it. They put a brand new tire on the rear, tuned it, changed oil & fluids and gave me a decent price. Picked it up on a Thursday, did paperwork, transferred reg, etc. Rode it home. Immediately fell in love. Friday morning, I took my Hyperlites off the XJ and installed them on the FZ. I decided to go for a short ride before dinner. Ten minutes in, I wanted to pull over and see if the double-sided tape was really holding the Hyperlites to the underside of the fender eliminator bracket. I saw a turnoff I've used a hundred times before.

I saw the patch of sandy gravel but it looked packed down, and like I said I've used this turnoff a million times. STUPID DECISION. It's this perfect picturesque spot to take motorcycle glamor shots. :) I started to pull in and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I was going maybe 4, 5 miles an hour and that gravel was mostly sand. Rear tire just went right out. I sat on the ground staring at the bike for a good three minutes until someone stopped and asked me if I was OK.

I was. I lifted the bike and assessed. It was a lot of plastic damage, some frame scrapes, mirrors snapped off, but it started. No fluids came out of anywhere. The mirrors were aftermarket with signals and were swinging by the wires. I decided they were fine just swinging. STUPID DECISION. What I should have done was cut both mirrors off and stuff them in my pocket.

Rode home, the mirror on the non-crashed side had flipped up in the wind and flopped down inside the fairing, went to turn in the driveway, the steering was jammed, I couldn't move the bars in either direction, I panicked and grabbed a handful of clutch, but I also grabbed the brake. Hard.

As you all know, the brakes on this bike are pretty decent up front. Tipped over right in front of my own house, bike fell on my leg, smashed the opposite side signal, plastic and my pride. No frame damage though since I provided a nice barrier between the bike and the street. The mirror was jammed in there pretty good.

Every part of the fairing has damage now, mostly in mounting points. So that's a lot of plastic I just bought. The headlight assembly broke all but the one main mounting tab. Shockingly though, the windscreen didn't get a single scratch.

So now I am ordering parts and waiting. I've replaced and re-wired the signals, and fixed some really suspect wiring the previous owner did with the HID upgrade. Probably wouldn't have ever seen any of that without this crash. I have the Color Rite silver frame paint already, so I can minimize the frame damage. And when it's all over the plastics will all be brand new, so she will be very pretty. Eventually.

Every day I feel like a complete idiot.

Y2fNg2Fl.jpg

vKxAlLEl.jpg

v2bIHq7l.jpg

Z67zWB4l.jpg

Album link: Crrrrrash (New-to-me 2005 FZ6) - Imgur
Gutted for you, welcome to this awesome bike and forum.

Nelly

Mudgnome

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!, I fell off turning into our local Tim Hortens(coffee&donuts) on a Saturday morning line up!,no real damage to the bike......but I felt like an idiot:welcome: