What's your biker rage story? (mine from today)

mytoyota2003

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a smoker and I have made that mistake once before. I threw out my butt right infort of a guy riding. It hit him in his face shield (thankfully he had one) and ever since I dont throw them out the window anymore. I told the guy I was so sorry for what happened and he was cool about it. Being a new rider makes me re-think everything about my driving around people on bikes just like getting my CDL made me re-think about the way I drive around big rigs.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
<rant>
How about dealing with really "talkative" non-riders?

If the guy in the cube beside me tells me one more time how much of a better rider he is... I swear I'm gonna do something i regret.

First of all, I've never seen him on a bike. I don't count the cell phone pic of a busa, cause no one is on it. "I don't ride on the street." Well, congrats and stop being smug about it.

Second, he loves to tell me how stupid it was for me to learn on a small bike cause "it causes bad habits". :squid:

My favorite is his boasting on his 10 second runs on his busa. Really? That's all? I've seen 600's with no change but extended swingarms run in the 10s. Granted they were great riders, but still. So why is your turbo busa just doing tens?

I just got done listening to a lecture on how to get out of tank slappers (that he didn't even know the term) cause they apparently happen on each turn. A little wobble on a hard exit? Sure but a tank slapper? Only if you cant ride. Popping a wheelie is a good way to get out, sure, but not always practical. Far better to hold throttle or ease off and stop locking your damn arms in the first place. Or stop chopping throttle in the turn.

FML.

</rant>

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would STRONGLY disagree that riding a smaller bike first teaches bad habits.

Sounds like the sort of thing a SQUID would say.....

I believe it gives you more opportunity to learn the subtle nuances of riding, thus making you a better rider, than one that just jumps on the biggest and baddest straight up.

Cheers,
Rick

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, smaller bikes teach you clutch work, how to properly use the powerband, how to get in and out of turns aggressively without having enough power to cause a wreck, you can learn throttle control without having to worry about power wheelies or highsides.

He insisted that you get a tank slapper or really close every turn. This is most likely because he's riding around with elbows locked and really choppy with the throttle on corner exit. The only tank slapper I've had was because I got too aggressive on cold tires, then when the back slipped slightly, I freaked out. Then I fought the bike.

Thankfully it stayed upright long enough to yank the handlebars from my hands and problem was resolved almost instantly. And thankfully I held on well enough with my legs. It was no fun though. It was violent enough to lay the bike over far enough to bend the right peg.

I can only imagine had I been riding a busa or something. It wouldn't have been a tank slapper, it would have been a high side. Nowadays, even with a front wheel hop on exit, it doesn't get more than a little wobbly. Stay smooth on the throttle and let the bike do it's thing and it's all good.

He's just a :squid: , if he even rides at all, and loves to talk. I honestly think he heard Hayabusa's were big bikes and made a story up, and he thinks tank slappers happen each turn cause he saw a MotoGP race once and thought that was a tank slapper and the wheel hop was how they got out of it.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
<rant>
How about dealing with really "talkative" non-riders?

If the guy in the cube beside me tells me one more time how much of a better rider he is... I swear I'm gonna do something i regret.

First of all, I've never seen him on a bike. I don't count the cell phone pic of a busa, cause no one is on it. "I don't ride on the street." Well, congrats and stop being smug about it.

Second, he loves to tell me how stupid it was for me to learn on a small bike cause "it causes bad habits". :squid:

My favorite is his boasting on his 10 second runs on his busa. Really? That's all? I've seen 600's with no change but extended swingarms run in the 10s. Granted they were great riders, but still. So why is your turbo busa just doing tens?

I just got done listening to a lecture on how to get out of tank slappers (that he didn't even know the term) cause they apparently happen on each turn. A little wobble on a hard exit? Sure but a tank slapper? Only if you cant ride. Popping a wheelie is a good way to get out, sure, but not always practical. Far better to hold throttle or ease off and stop locking your damn arms in the first place. Or stop chopping throttle in the turn.

FML.

</rant>

I actually feel sorry for you. Tell him to shut his face.

Last edited:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year, I was riding in a first lane of two lane road, somewhat above the speed limit, but not much. This little POS Peugeot cage thinks he wants to go faster and starts overtaking me, I don't accelerate - let him, but he's so slow that it's taking him ages to overtake me and I have no reason to slow down. Suddenly a bigger car gets right behind his ass and horns/flashes for him to move out the way, the guy freaks out and jumps in my lane nearly forcing me off the road.

I was so angry at that time, I go besides him and give him the look "WTF man?", he gives it back as if nothing happened. I give him the finger, well, he gives me back the finger too. I just lost it and tried to make the guy stop on the side so I can kick his ass, he was a small dude and I figured I could take him (stupid of me, I know). This guy just slows down and starts looking the other way, avoiding eye contact, Then he picks up his cell (while driving) and starts acting as if he's making a phone call and isolates himself from the situation.

I had some more involved stories in my car, but on the bike, this was the one that angered me the most recently.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyways, you really don't know who your dealing with out there.

I have my carry a concealed weapon permit (CCF) and purposly keep a 22 cal automatic pistol under the seat of my SUV.. Should somebody physically try to attack me, it''ll likely be the last time they do... I keep that in mind should I get a moment of dumb ass as well..

I'm sure there are others who feel the same, and down here (at least in Florida), especially with our pres and potenential gun law changes in the US, MORE FOLKS than EVER are getting gun permits, so watch who you piss off...

It really isn't worth it....

Good point! A 3,000 pound vehicle against a 425 pound bike is no match.

Use good judgement/conservative riding demeanor and don't engage the other person. John Wayne retribution works mainly in the movies.

;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year, I was riding in a first lane of two lane road, somewhat above the speed limit, but not much. This little POS Peugeot cage thinks he wants to go faster and starts overtaking me, I don't accelerate - let him, but he's so slow that it's taking him ages to overtake me and I have no reason to slow down. Suddenly a bigger car gets right behind his ass and horns/flashes for him to move out the way, the guy freaks out and jumps in my lane nearly forcing me off the road.

I was so angry at that time, I go besides him and give him the look "WTF man?", he gives it back as if nothing happened. I give him the finger, well, he gives me back the finger too. I just lost it and tried to make the guy stop on the side so I can kick his ass, he was a small dude and I figured I could take him (stupid of me, I know). This guy just slows down and starts looking the other way, avoiding eye contact, Then he picks up his cell (while driving) and starts acting as if he's making a phone call and isolates himself from the situation.

I had some more involved stories in my car, but on the bike, this was the one that angered me the most recently.

Did you use your horn? Get a louder horn! Stock horn doesn't count.

You did a great job of absorbing the information that was developing around you, but I think you could have performed a better job of executing of what preventive or corrective measures to take. One is to have covered your horn and use it. You can use your horn and swerve or brake at the same time. Takes a small bit of coordination and muscle memory, so maybe a bit of practice will help. But again, I wasn't there and don't know all of the details.

Pretend that your thumb on the button of the horn is like your finger on the trigger of a gun. If you sense danger, cover the button. Sometimes a blare of the horn is all it takes. But yes, you cannot rely on the horn 100% of the time.

Whenever I'm around traffic, my horn is often covered, especially if it's iffy? There is no damn way I am going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt that they see or acknowledge me, I'm not shy of using my horn.

Also the horn is a great tool to let EVERYONE around the moron that cut you off that they messed up! If the situation is right, it's even better than the finger.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my car I never use the horn. The milliseconds you use planning and executing come from the time you may need to get evasive. I am not saying I am right, but rapid use of the horn reminds me of the boobs that honk immediately when they see you pull up to a stop sign as they pass. They have no other thought other than to push the magic button.

I about to start my second year of riding and I am a taker of advice, not a giver. But I am trying to adapt my driving skills to my riding.

I will be practicing my horn use this year.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you use your horn? Get a louder horn! Stock horn doesn't count.

You did a great job of absorbing the information that was developing around you, but I think you could have performed a better job of executing of what preventive or corrective measures to take. One is to have covered your horn and use it. You can use your horn and swerve or brake at the same time. Takes a small bit of coordination and muscle memory, so maybe a bit of practice will help. But again, I wasn't there and don't know all of the details.

Pretend that your thumb on the button of the horn is like your finger on the trigger of a gun. If you sense danger, cover the button. Sometimes a blare of the horn is all it takes. But yes, you cannot rely on the horn 100% of the time.

Whenever I'm around traffic, my horn is often covered, especially if it's iffy? There is no damn way I am going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt that they see or acknowledge me, I'm not shy of using my horn.

Also the horn is a great tool to let EVERYONE around the moron that cut you off that they messed up! If the situation is right, it's even better than the finger.

It happened so fast I didn't even had the time (with my horn skills) to sound it, I did use the horn later, but mostly as a "hey you, look what you just did" type of measure.

I should practice more horn use indeed, I use it so rarely that when the time comes to do it I fail/panic and don't...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It happened so fast I didn't even had the time (with my horn skills) to sound it, I did use the horn later, but mostly as a "hey you, look what you just did" type of measure.

I should practice more horn use indeed, I use it so rarely that when the time comes to do it I fail/panic and don't...

Yes, the horn is only good as a premeasure and during up to a point, not after the fact. It takes a combination of mental and muscle memory to do both, it should be instictive and not based on the fact that you have to remember to do this.

Most corrective action involves a split second decision. You don't have time to think, you just do it. It's the riders who have to stop and think are the ones in trouble, or the riders who make the mistake of choosing the wrong corrective action. Most commonly would be braking versus swerving. Many make the mistake by selecting to brake, when swerving would have been the best or only choice. And to make things worse, most who do brake end up slamming their brakes and end up crashing on their own before they reach the hazard.

Once again, it all comes down to muscle memory. You can slam on the brakes in a car, but if you do it on your bike, you will most likely end up in a lowside crash. The only way to ensure that you make the correct decision is to practice, practice, practice on a regular basis so hopefully you are ready to make the correct decision in the event something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the horn is only good as a premeasure and during up to a point, not after the fact. It takes a combination of mental and muscle memory to do both, it should be instictive and not based on the fact that you have to remember to do this.

Most corrective action involves a split second decision. You don't have time to think, you just do it. It's the riders who have to stop and think are the ones in trouble, or the riders who make the mistake of choosing the wrong corrective action. Most commonly would be braking versus swerving. Many make the mistake by selecting to brake, when swerving would have been the best or only choice. And to make things worse, most who do brake end up slamming their brakes and end up crashing on their own before they reach the hazard.

Once again, it all comes down to muscle memory. You can slam on the brakes in a car, but if you do it on your bike, you will most likely end up in a lowside crash. The only way to ensure that you make the correct decision is to practice, practice, practice on a regular basis so hopefully you are ready to make the correct decision in the event something goes wrong.

Exactly.

I was watching one of those bike crash compilation videos. The most glaring factors in the crashes were the bike rider was going to fast for the conditions not allowing for what cages do every minute of every day. Then they seemed to always choose the panic braking technique which cause the majority of loss of control.

Before you arrive at the emergency situation you already need to establish a hole. That hole is always moving and changing. It has to become instinctive in you. You don't really ever think of it. While you're riding you can imagine many different scenarios that could get you in trouble and what you'd choose to counter with. Chances are if someone does what you're not expecting you'll be over reactive and be on that brake. The brake is not the only choice and should be tempered with other alternative measures to help clear you of the danger. If you can, get well clear of an incident and don't stay close where someone behind you fails to get through because you may be the impact target. Don't drive emotionally. I would attribute attitude to being one of the greatest causes of confrontations and accidents.

So if you don't bring your self to the accident, you're not there right?

Or if a tree falls in the woods and you're not there to hear it, does the tree make a sound?

Or If a mans wife screams at him and he's not there to hear it is he still wrong? :spank:

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Smokers for some reason seem to think that they are part of a special group that is allowed to litter. Every time I see someone throw a butt out the window it peeves me off a little.

I have never met a smoker that was a good driver while smoking. I've also rarely met a smoker who was a very happy person in general. A lot of smokers are addicted because smoking is a "way out" for them from something...usually it's from a life that is either too stressful or unsatisfying.

In my car I never use the horn. The milliseconds you use planning and executing come from the time you may need to get evasive. I am not saying I am right, but rapid use of the horn reminds me of the boobs that honk immediately when they see you pull up to a stop sign as they pass. They have no other thought other than to push the magic button.

I about to start my second year of riding and I am a taker of advice, not a giver. But I am trying to adapt my driving skills to my riding.

I will be practicing my horn use this year.

Horn use is HIGHLY under used in the USA. Every other country I've been to the drivers use their horns much more frequently. In other countries horns are used to let another driver know you are overtaking them, that you are turning, etc. In the US, people think horns are only to be used when you are pissed off at someone for doing or not doing something...that is NOT what horns are for!

I have used my horns many times to prevent an accident or near accident. If I am passing someone on the left and boxed in I will often give a short warning bleep to let them know another vehicle is in their blind spot because people these days do not turn their heads before changing lanes. I've also used my horn to avoid running over some DA pedestrian that decided to cross the road directly in front of a motorcycle traveling at 35mph.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you are riding or even when you are driving, and you hear a loud horn besides you or nearby, what is your thought process at that very moment?

Oh crap what did I do, slow down, start looking around? I doubt that you just ignore it, well maybe if your on the phone, in that case people just do carry on.

That's the point, the horn can be effective in some cases. There is a reason why emergency vehicles use their Air Horns when they are blasting through an intersection. Yes, they have their lights and sirens, but they are just adding another preventative layer of warning because they are not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt that they are seen or heard.

Start off small, keep that horn covered when you are riding around in a parking lot. Somebody will eventually try to back into your path of travel and here's your opportunity to practice using your horn.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
When you are riding or even when you are driving, and you hear a loud horn besides you or nearby, what is your thought process at that very moment?

Oh crap what did I do, slow down, start looking around? I doubt that you just ignore it, well maybe if your on the phone, in that case people just do carry on.

That's the point, the horn can be effective in some cases. There is a reason why emergency vehicles use their Air Horns when they are blasting through an intersection. Yes, they have their lights and sirens, but they are just adding another preventative layer of warning because they are not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt that they are seen or heard.

Start off small, keep that horn covered when you are riding around in a parking lot. Somebody will eventually try to back into your path of travel and here's your opportunity to practice using your horn.

I almost provoked a road rage incident today by using the horn and subsequently why I don't commonly use mine. I thought I'd give it a try after the discussion though. I was traveling westbound in the right lane approaching a major intersection. I was behind a small SUV that as the light was still green decided to brake. He then made like going for the right turn lane then veered back in front of me as I was starting to accelerate past. Luckily I saw him it on the brake and the horn at the same time. The guy eventually got into the right turn lane as the light turned red. So I pull up next to the guy and he says 'what's your problem?' And I reply, 'you know the right turn lane is for making right turns?' He replies 'yeah I f&$@ed up, so what?' I said, 'nothing as long as you know you ducked up. I got places I need to be an don't need to be getting caught at lights' He gets pissed and asks me, 'do you have a brain?' At which point I start laughing. The guy is pissed now an states me down till the light turns.

Maybe I should use less horn next time

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If you're going to BS with the guy, don't even bother using the horn. The horn is self explanatory, it lets everyone know he made a mistake and leave it at that. It doesn't need to go any further.

Engaging in some sort of confrontation after each incident is not going to do you any good. You are on a motorcycle, this is what happens when you ride and it's going to keep on happening. This is one of the risks we take, we are much smaller and much more difficult to see so you just have to ride defensively.

Try to improve your ability to anticipate things from developing. I don't expect you to be a mind reader, but there are certain "Tells" out there, just like poker. If you can identify some of these "Tells" it may prevent some of these incidents created by some of these moronic drivers.

Besides the obvious (cell phone/texting) Here's one thing I look for> Any decals indicating motorcylces, HD, Fox, etc these drivers may do a better job of acknowledging and more importantly seeing you as a motorcyclist. Same if you were driving in a car, wouldn't you have the better skills as a driver of knowing where to look for motorcyclist because you're a rider yourself? On the other hand, there are other indications that will help you decide whether they are definately not paying attention or simply not a good driver.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost provoked a road rage incident today by using the horn and subsequently why I don't commonly use mine. I thought I'd give it a try after the discussion though. I was traveling westbound in the right lane approaching a major intersection. I was behind a small SUV that as the light was still green decided to brake. He then made like going for the right turn lane then veered back in front of me as I was starting to accelerate past. Luckily I saw him it on the brake and the horn at the same time. The guy eventually got into the right turn lane as the light turned red. So I pull up next to the guy and he says 'what's your problem?' And I reply, 'you know the right turn lane is for making right turns?' He replies 'yeah I f&$@ed up, so what?' I said, 'nothing as long as you know you ducked up. I got places I need to be an don't need to be getting caught at lights' He gets pissed and asks me, 'do you have a brain?' At which point I start laughing. The guy is pissed now an states me down till the light turns.

Sounds like you provoke a lot of your biker rage stories. If I wanted to, I could find a reason to kick people's doors in on a daily basis.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going to BS with the guy, don't even bother using the horn. The horn is self explanatory, it lets everyone know he made a mistake and leave it at that. It doesn't need to go any further.

Engaging in some sort of confrontation after each incident is not going to do you any good. You are on a motorcycle, this is what happens when you ride and it's going to keep on happening. This is one of the risks we take, we are much smaller and much more difficult to see so you just have to ride defensively.

Try to improve your ability to anticipate things from developing. I don't expect you to be a mind reader, but there are certain "Tells" out there, just like poker. If you can identify some of these "Tells" it may prevent some of these incidents created by some of these moronic drivers.

Besides the obvious (cell phone/texting) Here's one thing I look for> Any decals indicating motorcylces, HD, Fox, etc these drivers may do a better job of acknowledging and more importantly seeing you as a motorcyclist. Same if you were driving in a car, wouldn't you have the better skills as a driver of knowing where to look for motorcyclist because you're a rider yourself? On the other hand, there are other indications that will help you decide whether they are definately not paying attention or simply not a good driver.

Good point, I guess the horn is self-explanatory. I didn't need to engage the moron, I could of just looked at him and nodded.

I do look for tells, like this guy had a Garmin in the center of his windshield and out of state plates. I knew he was likely to screw up. I was hoping he would do the right thing and use the right turn lane like a normal driver.

Sounds like you provoke a lot of your biker rage stories. If I wanted to, I could find a reason to kick people's doors in on a daily basis.

Thankfully I've never crossed the line of taking any physical action. However, I'm 34 years old, I've graduated med school, I've been a more or less responsible adult for the last 6-7 years. I generally am not an angry dude and most the people in my life really enjoy being around me. I commuted for most of my driving life (18 years now) and I've not felt this aggressive since i was a teenager in downtown Seattle traffic. I dunno if it's being on the bike and being exposed that my fight or flight mechanism is kicking in or if I'm feeling the thrill of being on the road that I've not felt in a long time the desire to just go and never have to stop.

Honestly that's why I started this tread in the first place because I was kind of shocked at how I felt the first time I got pissed on the bike and now when I experience these new scenarios, I think they are interesting stories at least.

I've started this thread on 3 of the Fz forums and some of the other stories are just jaw dropping insane at how far some things have gone. So, I know I'm not completely alone at processing these types of experiences.

BTW I want to know how getting hit in the faceshield with a cigarette counts as provoking an incident, or someone cutting into your lane of travel. I'll give you the horn as provoking, where I grew up there were a couple of shootings because people got on the horn. I just wanted to test it out today.

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
You're nothing if not honest, Sky. Maybe you just need to make your personal safety more of a priority as you obviously understand you can be putting it unnecessarily at risk in these confrontations.

Have a plan before you ride. You don't have to be completely zen. How about just keeping cool and riding? :cool: