What's the point/purpose?

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple: Find someone with an FZ6 with an aftermarket exhaust... and compare. Whatever you like better, go for it. :) I bought mine because I like the look and the sound is AWESOME.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I do believe I just stumbled upon a VERY good purpose of aftermarket exhaust.

Yesterday I was cruising home on my familiar backroads when I spotted 2 deer in the road about 1/4 mile in front of me. before I was within 150 yards both deer ran off the road in fear of the Scorpion exhaust at 8K rpms. Deer do not behave like this when they see headlights coming with no approaching sound. Stealthy is not good when it comes to wild animals!

Loud pipes really do save lives if they keep you from being struck by a 150 lb deer!

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site

Yesterday I was cruising home on my familiar backroads when I spotted 2 deer in the road about 1/4 mile in front of me. before I was within 150 yards both deer ran off the road in fear of the Scorpion exhaust at 8K rpms. Deer do not behave like this when they see headlights coming with no approaching sound. Stealthy is not good when it comes to wild animals!

Loud pipes really do save lives if they keep you from being struck by a 150 lb deer!

I had not considered that as a reason for a loud bike, but it does have some merit..

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site

If you were in your truck, you should have had your shotgun under the seat and could have bagged one! Wait, not Texas... :Flip:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Back to the thread
I actually miss the quietness of the stock exhaust. I drilled mine as like many members don't have the funds to invest in an aftermarket job.
The article was very interesting, and adds weight to the argument that power is not necessarily a buy product of doing the mod. I am going to get a stock muffler from flea bay and return to relative quietness. Having said that, all the exhausts are in and around the same dB level so I guess it's a tone thing. I am clearly tone deaf lol.
Neil

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the original thread poster. Exhaust options suck and dont make sense for an FZ6. On everything I own I usually change the exhaust for power, sound, weight, and maybe looks.

On the FZ6 you really wont get any more power. So thats not a reason. I have not heard a good sounding aftermarket exhaust for the fz6. Loud as hell does not equal good sounding. I agree the stock exhaust does not look great or sound good. But there arent any options appealing to me I have seen. I personally would like to come up with a single outlet under seat like I have seen on other 600 bikes.

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Diddo on the single outlet^^^ Saves money, weight and would likely sound better as more air would be passing through it....
Wonder if anyone has tried to mount a slightly modded single can.....

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
The purpose is so that the bike stops sounding like a "blender mixed with a Jetsons' car" as I heard it stated once. Just like a good exhaust on a car, a pleasant exhaust on a bike changes the character quite a lot, and makes it much more fun to ride.

The visual benefit is that you're not riding around with a fake dual exhaust with a plastic cover.

The safety benefit is that you are, in fact, more noticeable to drivers around you. I picked up on this right away.

I did not do it for performance reasons, personally. The bike has enough power, IMO, but now it doesn't sound like I'm going to hurt it by revving it a little more.

Christian67

Reaction score
Visit site
For me it's a bit about sound and a bit about ego. I was out riding with some other sport riders and someone made a comment about a scooter being louder than my bike (stock pipes).

This is actually one of the things I really likes with the 2008 FZ6 ; I want stealth? I got Stealth! I want attention ? Kick him down a gear, and pipes get a different sound. Really driving the bike, gives you a full symphony.

So stock pipes for me.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been told a few times (even after drilling the baffles out 1") that my bike sounds like a sewing machine. I take their word for it since they're usually behind me trying to keep up.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Very informative thread guys. Thanks one and all.
I posted elsewhere here about being offered some near new Scorp slip-ons and cc eliminator pipe for a too good price. Looks like I'll take him up on it.
For me too its the noise factor.

So it also looks like I'll also need to help the breathing with a K&N air filter and a pos re-tune. I just did a tb ballance but would it help to change the insHg figure to suck more fuel through? Or is it not that simple?

To other Scorpion users - with or without cat? I will almost certainly leave the baffles in.

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
At this point I'm already ready to part ways with my FZ6, I rode a buddies Hyabusa the other day and well that just ruined this bike for me.
I'm going to be on the prowl for a nice lightly used 07 or newer FZ1.....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very informative thread guys. Thanks one and all.
I posted elsewhere here about being offered some near new Scorp slip-ons and cc eliminator pipe for a too good price. Looks like I'll take him up on it.
For me too its the noise factor.

So it also looks like I'll also need to help the breathing with a K&N air filter and a pos re-tune. I just did a tb ballance but would it help to change the insHg figure to suck more fuel through? Or is it not that simple?

To other Scorpion users - with or without cat? I will almost certainly leave the baffles in.

I have Scorps, NO DB killers, with the stock CAT, stock air filter, no add on computers, etc. No additional tuning/mods are necessary. Idles solid, runs great, not too noisy at lower RPM's, above 7-8k RPM's, it friggin screams...Sounds like a liter bike...

BTW, I had to order from Europe DB killers(they didn't come with the pipes new in the states). I put the DB killers on and it, sounded way too quiet for my taste, pulled them back out before the end of the block...

IMHO, I'd leave the cat on, it would be louder yet with it out. With the cat out, I can't confirm if you'd have tune further, (likely not) as I've always had the cat on the bike...

Last edited: