What's the point/purpose?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You would probably be surprised just how quite they can be off throttle

I thought so too until I started my bike (scorpion exhaust) right outside my office building and then had to run back up to the second floor of my office to grab something I forgot and could definitely hear my bike idling from the second floor of an office building! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also consider a habituation process when explaining that phenomenon

True! We may accept the terms of the added decibels because we become accustom to the sound. We also have a positive association mentally and emotionally. To another person it may be louder and even amplified when there are negative or positive emotions.

I remember when I first put 2 Bros. on my FZ6. It felt like the sound was bouncing off every wall and tree leaf! After a week it sounded docile. :p

Our neighbors may actually experience it differently.

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the great responses and sorry this thread ruffled some sensitive feathers.
For now, I believe I'll just leave it as it is, the season is sadly almost over anyhow. Next spring I will know if I'm sticking with this bike or getting something bigger. It's to bad that an exhaust and tuner do so little for this bike, for what it costs you would expect more from those mods...
I know I'd love the sound and look, but dang that's a hard pill to swallow for nothing more than aesthetics.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also consider a habituation process when explaining that phenomenon

Very true especially considering I think I'm about half deaf anyways lol. I do know that my bike can be extremely loud yet when I want to I can still sneak up to people's houses without them hearing me, or at least they say they didn't.

I know I'd love the sound and look, but dang that's a hard pill to swallow for nothing more than aesthetics.

Well it's not just for aesthetics it's just not going to be as large of a increase in power as if you were starting with larger displacement engine or higher performance engine. But the price is steep non the less because your paying for 2 cans instead of one.

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
What would be kewl would be a setup where you just run one larger oval shaped can under the seat... that would be sweet!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
never really saw the benefit from doing the exhaust while it costing about $1k. but then again, i really like how stealthy the bike can be.. to each their own!!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
What would be kewl would be a setup where you just run one larger oval shaped can under the seat... that would be sweet!

I have seen people use the Honda CBR 600 underseat exhaust like that on the fz6 and after looking at my buddies 05 zx-6r I bet one of those would work too and a fraction of the cost

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Just read thru the entire thread and there are good and bad points, good and bad posts too. I'm still on the fence but decided to buy a second stock exhaust to try the drilled mod first, then possibly try pHrank's custom exhaust (when I get the specs, I want to try 3.5in cans), and if not satisfied maybe go with an aftermarket setup.

I too am not looking for HP, and the "growlier" sound is an enticing factor, but the exspence is a bit more than I wish to handle.

Just trying minor mods, to make it my own.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try drilling yours then if you don't like buy a second one i think that would do the trick, my sister hair dryer sounds like it has more hp than my
Bike d-_-"b

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Save your money for a Liter bike if you want more power, buy a hi-Vis vest or helmit if you want to be seen, honk the horn if you want to be heard..

And for the guy with the "hurt ego" save your money and take some riding lessons...nothing improves the ego more than having a liter bike chase you through the twistys' and you pulling away...:rockon:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Save your money for a Liter bike if you want more power, buy a hi-Vis vest or helmit if you want to be seen, honk the horn if you want to be heard..

And for the guy with the "hurt ego" save your money and take some riding lessons...nothing improves the ego more than having a liter bike chase you through the twistys' and you pulling away...:rockon:

The entire "experience" for me has to do with all of the senses (except for taste, hopefully). The sound of the bike has a lot do with that for me. It doesn't have to sound like a GP bike, but as stock it sounds like a whole lot of nothing, imo.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
There is another factor for after-market pipes that no one has brought up: they make you slower.

This is not saying that your bike will be slower, but rather you will will naturally drive a bit slower. Performance car manufacturers were getting study cases of more and more speed related accidents as newer models came out. Originally it was thought that it was due to more power the vehicles had, but after more studies they found out it was due to the sound dampening.

People willing to get a performance vehicle (whether it is a bike or a car) like to hear their vehicle. With less noise people were reving more and going faster.

About 8 years ago Nissan started to put pipe systems in the frames for the engine noise to be piped into the cab of the vehicle. This caused more engine jnoise to be heard without wind/outside noise and psychologically created a feeling that the driver was going faster, thus overall drivers slowed down.

Just another concept of "loud pipes save lives," but never go too loud.

If you notice that you are constantly speeding, might be a good idea to go to louder pipes and get a sense that you need to slow down at higher rpms.

Waffles

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ tell that to my insurance company ^^^

I've made my own exhaust on literally ever mode of transportation I've ever owned and over many many many many tickets later I've found that I got more tickets in the vehicles that were slower vs the ones that were faster and all were loud as hell!!! Of course I'm normally the person who gets thrown out of the curve too, for better or worse...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't look like a toaster oven. Wait, I think I said that about 4 years ago. :D

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ tell that to my insurance company ^^^

I've made my own exhaust on literally ever mode of transportation I've ever owned and over many many many many tickets later I've found that I got more tickets in the vehicles that were slower vs the ones that were faster and all were loud as hell!!! Of course I'm normally the person who gets thrown out of the curve too, for better or worse...

Yup, can't make it too loud due to decible limits in cities. Cars can pipe the noise in without increasing the noise out the back. Unlucky us, we have to make the whole thing louder for us to hear it. I have to say though, when you are going through a city, as long as you keep the rpm's under 7k, I can not imagine a cop pulling you over for noise with an aftermarket slip-on/full muffler.

Witch hunts are another story.....

Waffles

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
My bro has a stock 06 and I dont like the sound much.... scooterish.....maybe I am crazy but I think my 08 sounds much better stock. Little deeper, but nothing like a customer exhaust....

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think this is a very useful thread. Just like the OP I've been considering an aftermarket exhaust, but strictly for the sound. I ride with a bunch of guys who all have 'loud pipes', an I'm consistantly fielding comments such as "is your bike running?", and when it is running, "start your bike up, we want to hear it!" Lol.

It's all good natured jesting, but I almost gave in multiple times, coming so close to hitting the 'check out' button on some Scorps or Leo's.

Turns out I'm not gonna do it. I'm going to spend my cash on some luggage and other mods that I want to do, not what someone else thinks I should do. As one of the posters said, modding is done to make your bike your own, and adding an exhaust wouldn't do that for me.

That being said, I do love the sound of an FZ6 with Leo's...But for my purposes, I'm quite happy with the stealth mode!

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
well for starters I found this thread useful and not silly aside from photoman's posts.

I see one reason to do the mod (or any mod for that matter) glaringly missing:
Getting to know your bike!
One of the most satisfying things about all the mods that I've done has been afterwards knowing that you've had everything apart in tiny pieces and have an intimate knowledge of how everything bolts on and works.
Obviously this would be different if it was my umpteenth bike doing mods on, but for newer modders like myself? Definitely I think.

Oh and to add my .02$ : I also don't want to shell out that amount of cash for "just" aesthetics, but on the other hand would like to mod my exhaust, simply to do it. So I may well go down the drilling route next season. For now my winter project is taking apart the damaged front end and replacing it (a major pain after having installed bixenons.....)

:BLAA: