What's the point/purpose?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It all depends on what you want, it sounds like you want more tq which stock would be best. But there are plenty of advantages of having a aftermarket exhaust, less weight, less heat, more noise (a disadvantage to some) better looks and if it is properly tuned you will get power gains on the top end. Add a healthy air box mod with after market filter and de-cat pipe if the exhaust didn't come with it and your talking about ~10hp extra to the wheel which is quite a jump on something that only weights ~450lb. Plus on 90% of vehicles a performance exhaust can also increase fuel economy by allowing the engine to run more efficiently. It would be extremely hard to see a increase on a bike though because once you have a exhaust it's hard to not make it wail sending intoxicating sound waves up and down your spine!!!

That is what it's all about the power to weight ratio, yeah exhaust alone might only get you 5hp but that is still quite a bit for a bike. Now if we were talking about a car, yes that gain would be trivial. But from one of your other threads it seems you are looking for more tq not hp. And really there is only 1 thing that will significantly improve the tq and that is a sprocket change.

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want some more bottom end why not just change to a smaller sprocket in the front or a larger sprocket in the rear or both :) it doesnt give you any horse power gains but you will have much more get up and go! And its much cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Photoman - you don't have to call people out. If this guy doesn't want an aftermarket exhaust or doesn't know he wants one yet there shouldn't be criticism in wanting to have an intelligent discussion about it.

for me, personally, I have the Leo Vince system. I spent the first 6 months of bike ownership trying to rationalize why I didn't need an aftermarket exhaust (very similar to the OP). Since I went for it I never looked back.. have been extremely happy with them. Worth every penny and glad some tool never called my threads silly

Lol I wasn't calling him out, I was simply stating my opinion like he did when he created this silly thread. :thumbup:

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I think going with a smaller F-Sprocket will be my solution. If I like what I get from it I may even still do the exhaust. I'm still trying to decide if I'm done with dirtbike riding, if I am then I'll have some serious money to play with and will most likely get a bigger bike.. That's part of the reason I don't want to just throw money at this, you never get it back in resale.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I think going with a smaller F-Sprocket will be my solution. If I like what I get from it I may even still do the exhaust. I'm still trying to decide if I'm done with dirtbike riding, if I am then I'll have some serious money to play with and will most likely get a bigger bike.. That's part of the reason I don't want to just throw money at this, you never get it back in resale.

That's something else to consider, if you don't plan on keeping the bike very long them why put any money in it. Or if you have some fab skills do as other members like jt, prank, myself and others I'm sure I'm missing have done and make your own!

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol I wasn't calling him out, I was simply stating my opinion like he did when he created this silly thread. :thumbup:

You were. Silly thread or not, being rude is uncalled for. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. We're here to help each other so even on a silly thread, be nice and helpful or don't post. Easy as that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had Two Bros. on my FZ6 I did fuel management (PClll) made sure it could breathe and had the bike dyno'd by a reputable tuner. It was a very strong FZ6 and I liked the sound!

The SV1000s is a much different story because of design. A set of Two Bros. and the first time I opened it up there was no doubt as to the difference in performance. Those 2 big pistons liked the open air. :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted above, I wanted the bike to have some sound, it was too quiet for me.

With my Scorps, the engine NOW has a growl, under 4-5,000 RPM's the exhaust sound is not obnoxious... Above that, it sounds like a liter "go fast bike".

I have NO other mods (iridium pugs), no juice box, stock cat and the bike runs great, no popping, back firing, etc... The bike has never been dyno'ed but it certainly feels quicker thru out the entire RPM range with the louder audio.

What I really like about the pipes (besides looks, less weight, less heat) is the sound. If I'm sitting behind a cage or two at a green light, and its clear to go, a rev or two (to maybe 4,000 RPM) usually gets them OFF THE PHONE, back to paying attention (at least for the moment) and they go, no horn needed.. Folks do hear you coming and are less likely to step out or change lanes vs the stock muffler... And I agree, its nowhere as obnoxious as most HD's with aftermarket pipes...

I've NEVER (knock on wood) been stopped on the FZ with my open Scorps but know where the police usually sit.. With that said, I'd been stopped MORE on my old KLR 250 with stock super quiet muffler. I was able to lean that bike over farther and with it being quiet, rode it slightly faster (as it was "stealthy").

Best farkle I've spent my $ on, its a whole different bike with the pipes...

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
That's an upgrade I won't do. I don't want to wake people up when driving into campsites late at night..

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
According to my highly accurate (?) phone app, the sound level was the same as stock - but you'd never know it!

It sounds SO much growlier!

I leave for work at 0400, and warm my bike up for a minute of so, and my neighbours haven't even mentioned it.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
According to my highly accurate (?) phone app, the sound level was the same as stock - but you'd never know it!

It sounds SO much growlier!

I leave for work at 0400, and warm my bike up for a minute of so, and my neighbours haven't even mentioned it.

Cheers,
Rick

+1 on the above..

My Scorps are the same.

Apparently alot of the folks believe at lower RPM's their as loud as a HD with open pipes, which they aren't, just got some low tone growl at the lower RPM's...

Slightly louder than stock off idle, but it doesn't sound like a step thru scooter anymore...:D

To each his own....

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You were. Silly thread or not, being rude is uncalled for. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. We're here to help each other so even on a silly thread, be nice and helpful or don't post. Easy as that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Now now, take your own advice :rolleyes:

No I was responding to a silly thread with a silly answer. :thumbup:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above..

My Scorps are the same.

Apparently alot of the folks believe at lower RPM's their as loud as a HD with open pipes, which they aren't, just got some low tone growl at the lower RPM's...

Slightly louder than stock off idle, but it doesn't sound like a step thru scooter anymore...:D

To each his own....

Yeah the stock exhaust is WAY too quiet, hated it.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now now, take your own advice :rolleyes:

No I was responding to a silly thread with a silly answer. :thumbup:

If the post is silly why answer it and be childish we come from all walks off life some people don't know or understand what you know, don't be a schmuck it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt - good old Abe Lincoln

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Dumbest thread ever.

What's the point/purpose?

What's the point/purpose of a motorcycle?
What's the point/purpose of a ham sandwich?
What's the point/purpose of my preference of blue over red?
What's the point/purpose of the time of day?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Sounds like someone is upset because they can't get an aftermarket exhaust lol so they try to justify why they shouldn't get one with a silly thread. :Flash:

To be quite honest, I feel this post is very rude and offensive toward the OP.

Why would you come on a forum and shoot someone down for asking a perfectly reasonable question?

Even if a question was 'dumb', why would you ever shoot someone down like that, looks to me like your looking for some sort of ego boost, how pathetic.

And finally, congratulations, you've made my day.

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the post is silly why answer it and be childish we come from all walks off life some people don't know or understand what you know, don't be a schmuck it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt - good old Abe Lincoln

This is a discussion forum, if no one replied to silly posts then this site would have no content. Sorry that causes you so much distress lol.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To be quite honest, I feel this post is very rude and offensive toward the OP.

Why would you come on a forum and shoot someone down for asking a perfectly reasonable question?

Even if a question was 'dumb', why would you ever shoot someone down like that, looks to me like your looking for some sort of ego boost, how pathetic.

And finally, congratulations, you've made my day.

Yamahaboyz

That is great!