Whats the coldest ride you've taken?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tell ya tomorrow after my ride into work!

:rof: Thus far, 28 degrees was the last straw. Tomorrow AM should be at or near that and much warmer through the day.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode about 2.5 hrs in temps ranging from 32 to 40 one morning. That was about it for me body was fine but hands/face were frozen. Any more of that I'll need external heat looking into heated grips or gloves before next year already solved the face problem.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the week after i got the FZ i needed to get it to storage no matter what to get it in before the impending snow storm. So i rode it to where i was keeping it when it was 9 degrees F. Since i have ridden in all temperatures from 11 to 100 degrees....

I love riding!

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I can beat some of the low temps listed here (except maybe riding dirt bikes on ice) but the coldest I ever got was on a ride home when I was in the Navy. I rode from Norfolk, VA to Akron OH straight thru. It was fall and when I left Norfolk it was shirt sleeve weather (yeah, I was a double squid). By the time I was a couple hours out of Norfolk it was in the 30's. By night fall a light snow was falling (not sticking, just flakes in the air). By the time I got to Akron it was about 2 AM and 29°. When I got into town I found I couldn't work the clutch very well and it was extremely difficult to take my feet off the pegs. When I pulled into my friends car port, I literally fell up against his van because I couldn't get my foot down.

It took about 6 hours of blankets and "spiced" coffee to get my temperature back to normal. It was really stupid, I was young, dumb and indestructible (at least in my mind). Now I live in San Diego and only ride on days when the temp is above 45°!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I can beat some of the low temps listed here (except maybe riding dirt bikes on ice) but the coldest I ever got was on a ride home when I was in the Navy. I rode from Norfolk, VA to Akron OH straight thru. It was fall and when I left Norfolk it was shirt sleeve weather (yeah, I was a double squid). By the time I was a couple hours out of Norfolk it was in the 30's. By night fall a light snow was falling (not sticking, just flakes in the air). By the time I got to Akron it was about 2 AM and 29°. When I got into town I found I couldn't work the clutch very well and it was extremely difficult to take my feet off the pegs. When I pulled into my friends car port, I literally fell up against his van because I couldn't get my foot down.

It took about 6 hours of blankets and "spiced" coffee to get my temperature back to normal. It was really stupid, I was young, dumb and indestructible (at least in my mind). Now I live in San Diego and only ride on days when the temp is above 45°!

Whoa... That some hardcore ****e.

Well Done!! :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
minus 5 celcius

20 farenheit

everyday for a 3 weeks. then it dipped to 10 15 below and that was all she wrote.

B

bluenova

For all of you arctic riders out there..

It becomes a sickness, doesn't it? You wish it would get even colder so you can test youself and your gear's limits further. You love being the only bike on the road. When it's 10F out and you actually do see another bike you don't just wave, you give them a big thumbs up. You know that all the cozy cagers are looking at you and thinking "what a lunatic" and you love that reaction.

Or is it just me?

No, I'd much rather be too hot than too cold. It's just I prefer riding to work in freezing temps and having numb fingers than the other option to take the train (well 2 trains and a bus to reach work) which is about a 4 hour round trip in a packed carriage full of sick people.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
During winter i make my -6 celcius 20 minute commute 6 days a week , its a great way to wake yourself up in the early hours :D.....Luckily the days warm up just nicely :thumbup:

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
minus 5 celcius

20 farenheit

everyday for a 3 weeks. then it dipped to 10 15 below and that was all she wrote.

+1
That's about the limit of the weather here, and I rode home 30kays at 2am in minus 5 degrees. That was cold, but not as cold as most of the previous posts.

Biggups and respect to those who ride (or have to ride) in ball shattering weather.

Our weather here is on the opposite end of the scale- 2 months ago we had 48degree C heat, and even now the temps havent' dropped that much, we're still seeing 30 degrees consistently, and no rain. No spring or autumn for us!

BB

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
For all of you arctic riders out there..

It becomes a sickness, doesn't it? You wish it would get even colder so you can test youself and your gear's limits further. You love being the only bike on the road. When it's 10F out and you actually do see another bike you don't just wave, you give them a big thumbs up. You know that all the cozy cagers are looking at you and thinking "what a lunatic" and you love that reaction.

Or is it just me?

Yeah, I love it too :thumbup:

I just wish I could afford heated gear to ride the colder temps, but we just don't get that cold for very long here to justify it...

WVFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
ive rode in 30-40 degree weather with gear not made for it and its pretty cold, but the thing i love about the fz is when its just chilly, say 40s, or if it starts raining, all my cruiser buddies freeze or get soaked instantly with all their leather on and i stay a lot dryer a lot longer. i guess the riding position and fairing save you more (especially in the rain) than you think sometimes.

btw some of you guys are freaking insane! lol
be safe in those frigid conditions yall!

viser_08

Reaction score
Visit site
I love riding in the cold weather just as long as I dress appropiately. The only problem i'm starting to find is more deer are out moving durring this time of the year till they settle down and lay thier fawns. I found out first hand how close the encounters were! I swerved out of the way of 2 deer, and as i veered another came out causing me to graze the deer! luckily i drove through it and only popped out my front turn signal. Scary though!