What was your 1st job?

1st part time (Summer) job: electronics salesman at a Soviet Latvian department store. I was 13.. worked for 6 weeks and earned mighty 75 rubles! :rof:

1st full time job: personal trainer at Bally's Jack LaLanne (which later became Bally Total Fitness)

Bally's was my 3rd job, after I spent 25k on a college degree in exercise science and that was the best job I could find before I went back to school

Age 13, summer job, working as the carpenter's assistant (slave) to my dad's friend building a 30'x36' deck.

I:
  • was 100 lbs soaking wet
  • got sunburned (still remember the sound and feel of drying/cracking blisters on the back of my ears)
  • carried 2"x8"x16' lumber 2 at a time on my shoulder (hurt like a mother against skin and bone)
  • made three (3) dollars/hour
  • learned a lot about being a man and basic construction techniques
  • will always respect people in labor positions
  • never forgot the value of a lesson learned and a dollar earned

Janitor for the local telephone office. I was 12 so the check had to come in my moms name. Since the day I started that job, i've never NOT been employed.

Started off reffing youth soccer games at 14. When I turned 18 I moved on to being a whitewater raft guide - where I finally got to turn the tables on those obnoxious parents and bratty kids.

working at a "recreation park" emptying trashbins, cleaning trash from the lawn, cleaning the changingbooths/toilets,... . Summerjob when i was 15

for a summerjob it wasnt that bad but stuff like that makes you realise what you don't want as a fulltime job later in life :)

Around the age of 8 working on one of the many farms, weeding, hoeing, picking whatever was planted that year. By 11 was buckin hay, driving the hay truck, 12 shoveled HS (horse sh$t) which I rode my Yamaha 125 to 3 days a week. << That was most of the fun!! First W - 2 came with my d-license then onto pumping gas and fixing cars.

Malls w/Scary bunnies were few and far between then!!!! :D :D

Age 13, summer job, working as the carpenter's assistant (slave) to my dad's friend building a 30'x36' deck.
  • got sunburned (still remember the sound and feel of drying/cracking blisters on the back of my ears)
I remember that too, from my Tree Nursery job! :D

• will always respect people in labor positions
  • never forgot the value of a lesson learned and a dollar earned
This too, Bravo! :thumbup:

Carnie for a local fair. I set up a "tilt-a-whirl" then ran the MC kiddie ride for 2weeks paid in cash and funnel cakes!

Also got to wax the big slide every morning. Sat on a burlap sack and inched down it spraying pledge in front of me over and over until it was slick as snot on glass.

Paper round aged 11 earning £10 a week.
My first real job was when I was 15. I was a Kitchen porter scrubbing pots and pans after school. Man I was loaded £70 a week, I lied about my age to get the job and worked about 20 hours a week. I would finish at about 01.00 in the morning, my school work suffered but I didn't care because I was rich lol. I brought my first bike Suzuki ER50 and road to school like a king. It was a fantastic experience and taught me so much about life and hard graft which ultimately led me to my first career as a Chef.

What a great thread, it made me think about things I thought were long forgotten.

Neil

Back