What to do with all the wires?

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
My conversion with an FZ8 headlight is all done, just wondering what everyone else did with the wiring that was bolted to the left side of the frame stock with the fairing.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently did a naked conversion for one of our members and I also did this for one other member that modified his fairing. I unplugged the 2 plugs coming out of the left side of the frame and rerouted them to the right side inside the frame. I removed the battery and air box from the throttle bodies so I could pull the battery box back. Lot's of work for a simple reroute but it works and looks better because you don't have those white plugs on the outside. Take your time and it'll turn out reall cool looking! :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently did a naked conversion for one of our members and I also did this for one other member that modified his fairing. I unplugged the 2 plugs coming out of the left side of the frame and rerouted them to the right side inside the frame. I removed the battery and air box from the throttle bodies so I could pull the battery box back. Lot's of work for a simple reroute but it works and looks better because you don't have those white plugs on the outside. Take your time and it'll turn out reall cool looking! :D

I also pulled up all of the above (tank, battery, air box) to pull wiring into the frame. I also cut away one of the headlight connectors (can always solder it back in place if needed).

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
Well that's convenient, my tank is about empty so it will be nice and light. Gotta flush my coolant and stuff anyway so that will make it a little easier with the tank off. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

Filling the void to make a post - but i'd like to see this one 6!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took some time to shorten the wires when I converted to the FZ1N headlight (cut and re-splice method). One thing to think about with respect to tucking the wire loom/connectors into the frame: Headlight removal. With the connectors outside the frame; it is very simple to un-hook and remove the headlight assembly for bulb replacement and other maintenance activities.

Also....Where are the pics? :)

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I took some time to shorten the wires when I converted to the FZ1N headlight (cut and re-splice method). One thing to think about with respect to tucking the wire loom/connectors into the frame: Headlight removal. With the connectors outside the frame; it is very simple to un-hook and remove the headlight assembly for bulb replacement and other maintenance activities.

Also....Where are the pics? :)

I didn't need to remove my headlight to change the bulb with the FZ8 headlight. Just gonna run them on the inside of the frame.

Got into the air box yesterday and the filter needed to be changed. Went to my Yami guy here in town (I usually get cost + 10% from a good friend an hour away, wait til I post my build thread. The cost of everything will shock you) and the stock filter was $37. Deciding not to spend that every year from here on out, I orded the K&N for $58. So I'm being lazy on this til I get the filter on Thursday. Can't ride til then anyway!

I'll get pics up before and after sometime this weekend.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I also pulled up all of the above (tank, battery, air box) to pull wiring into the frame. I also cut away one of the headlight connectors (can always solder it back in place if needed).

I am preparing myself for a naked project, i'll use original materials (fz6n bracket and headlight) I have some questions about wiring. I want to do it with minimum wire cutting and soldering.

1. Is it is enough to take the wires to the right side for this conversion or do i have to shorten the length of the wires ?

2. Do i have to lengthen wires for the speedo?

3. I have bought a FZ6N wiring harness also from ebay as a spare some years ago. Do you think is it better to change the wiring harness completely?
I know that the speedo sockets of the naked wiring harness is different.
But i am not sure about other differences. Shall i change the harness?
Is it complicated?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am preparing myself for a naked project, i'll use original materials (fz6n bracket and headlight) I have some questions about wiring. I want to do it with minimum wire cutting and soldering.

1. Is it is enough to take the wires to the right side for this conversion or do i have to shorten the length of the wires ?

2. Do i have to lengthen wires for the speedo?

3. I have bought a FZ6N wiring harness also from ebay as a spare some years ago. Do you think is it better to change the wiring harness completely?
I know that the speedo sockets of the naked wiring harness is different.
But i am not sure about other differences. Shall i change the harness?
Is it complicated?

1. Yes, right side is all you should need, provided you did a dual headlight mod and you have all 3 wires going to the right side (high, low, ground).

2. Stock length should be more than enough, whatever setup you decide to go with.

3. Depending on the headlight you go with, you may not need to do anything with stock harness.. may be able to hide it all behind the headlight.
I only cut mine because I wanted a cleaner look .. it wasn't really required.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lazy about putting together my build thread, but here are some pics of what I did with the wires:

I unplugged the light harness, and ran the meter and light plugs on the right side of the frame by the airbox. Then I ran the light/meter wiring harness into the hole on the right side of the frame where I'm pointing in the first picture.

Here is the headlight wiring harness I re-routed:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g341/GGSimpreza/Harrisonburg-20111103-00069.jpg

Here is the headlight wiring harness when I pulled it inside the frame from the front:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g341/GGSimpreza/Harrisonburg-20111103-00070.jpg

This is when I plugged in the headlight and meter, and have the plugs and light relay tucked into the frame:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g341/GGSimpreza/Harrisonburg-20111103-00071.jpg

And just as a side note, I have a single headlight setup. I didn't cut the other headlight plug, I just used shrink wrap. I had no space problems. I could go back and cut it, I guess. Whatevs.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a single headlight setup. I didn't cut the other headlight plug, I just used shrink wrap. I had no space problems. I could go back and cut it, I guess. Whatevs.

Didn't you take out the battery and airbox to plug the wires?

I see that Fz6N headlight has a H4 bulb set up with 3 connectors. I think it means it has low and high beam both together.
How should i wire the headlight connections to use low and high beams?

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't you take out the battery and airbox to plug the wires?

I see that Fz6N headlight has a H4 bulb set up with 3 connectors. I think it means it has low and high beam both together.
How should i wire the headlight connections to use low and high beams?

Yeah, I thought that was self-explanatory, sorry.

My FZ6 already had the dual headlight mod done, so I just used the wires used for my original right headlight (right when you're sitting on the bike).

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lazy about putting together my build thread, but here are some pics of what I did with the wires:

I unplugged the light harness, and ran the meter and light plugs on the right side of the frame by the airbox. Then I ran the light/meter wiring harness into the hole on the right side of the frame where I'm pointing in the first picture.

Here is the headlight wiring harness I re-routed:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g341/GGSimpreza/Harrisonburg-20111103-00069.jpg

Here is the headlight wiring harness when I pulled it inside the frame from the front:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g341/GGSimpreza/Harrisonburg-20111103-00070.jpg

This is when I plugged in the headlight and meter, and have the plugs and light relay tucked into the frame:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g341/GGSimpreza/Harrisonburg-20111103-00071.jpg

And just as a side note, I have a single headlight setup. I didn't cut the other headlight plug, I just used shrink wrap. I had no space problems. I could go back and cut it, I guess. Whatevs.

Hope this helps!
Nice pictures, good job.
You can also post the image code in your thread. that way we don't get delayed in viewing your work.

Nelly