what oil weight to use?

hansfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused: Hey all I would like to know what oil works best, not the brand but the weight or velocity :rolleyes: I think. 5w20 or other. I have 06 with 300 miles on it and it's almost ready for it's first fingering :Flip: Thanks.

Type oil viscosity into our search box. This one has been beaten like a _______ with a _______

I'll do what they do in Hawaii.

Oil viscosity has several different parameters. The minute you see two numbers on a oil grade (5w20) you'll know it's a multigrade oil.

Oil is thicker when cold and thinner when hot. Therefore, we choose multigrade oils so they'll work at both cold and hot temperatures.

The W symbol along the first number represents WINTER. The higher that number, the warmer the temperature it's designed for.

0W= -35°C
5W= -30°C
10W= -25°C
NOTE= Oil will lose it's maximum cold and hot peaks shortly after being used for the first time.

The second number represents WEIGHT. The higher that number, the more thicker the oil is. Thicker oils can tolerate more heat. Thicker oils are harder to warmup. Thinner oils can't tolerate as much heat. Thinner oils are easier to warmup.

20= Recommended starting temp 20°C
30= Recommended starting temp 30°C
40= Recommended starting temp 40°C
(Based on estimation)

I prefer 10W40 oil. Recommended starting temperatures:
-25°C to 40°C

OR

-13F to 104F

5W20 is a thinner oil than 10W40. You won't have to wait very long for a 5W20 oil to warm up, where you may want to let a 10W40 engine idle for about 1 minute before setting off.

Last edited:
Ok this is not right.

the real answer is

in a multigrade oil
the first number is at 0c or 32f the viscosity
the second number is at 100c or 212f

for example
10W40
10 viscosity winter freezing point of water 40 viscosity boiling point of water.
20W50
20 viscosity winter freezing point of water 50 viscosity boiling point of water.

the second number is not a measure of what starting temp. It is a measure of viscosity at the boiling point of water.

The rest of Elms post is correct.

:rtfm:

haha, no but really the manual will tell you exactly what to use. I think it recommends the yamalube4 and the weight depends on the temp conditions.

I knew this would happen, but I'm glad it did. I would go out and do all this jumping around to research oil, but end up with one false bit of info. That's where Wrightme43 came in. Good job!

0W= -35°C
5W= -30°C
10W= -25°C

When chemists test motor oils, they begin 0W at -35°C, 5W at -30°C and 10W at -25°C. The lower the WINTER rating, the thinner the oil. Thinner oils warmup faster. A 0W oil will start in the winter much more easily than a 10W. The problem with thinner oils is that they can't withstand as much heat.

Forget about the numerals. If you want an oil that STARTS easily in the cold, you want an oil with LOWER NUMBERS. If you want an oil that provides more HEAT PROTECTION, you want an oil with HIGHER NUMBERS.

One day I WILL go on a quest for the ultimate motor oil and chain lube. This cheap info will have to do.

Last edited:
Back