Loose water pump joint

K6NS2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
after a ride today (Yamaha FZ6N S2 - 2009 - 60k km) I noticed some coolant leakage. When I tried to investigate what could be the issue by just barely touching the pipe (visible on picture) it went out of place. Based on diagrams it seems like it's 'one piece' with water pump housing so I'm confused how that one even happened at first place.
1716652004077.png
Additionally, that is not my first issue with whole coolant system, I had also issue with joint ( https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-d...ter-pump-13489292#/il-317370595-914429-914429 - No. Part 14), there was small hole were coolant was squirting out.
Could be there a reason behind those problems or is it just coincidence or just bad maintenance by previous owner?

Thanks!

Interesting...

Looks like just a press fit that perhaps got bumped loose...
I've never heard of that failure on this forum.

As for the other leak, was it corroded, lack of anti-freeze, hard water etc?

Me neither, can't even google this shit up... seems like I will have to get new cover but I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky or is there some other problem which is causing all of those problems related to coolant system.
Joint was corroded for sure, seems like they didn't change coolant for a while.

That would be also an option, but I'm a bit concerned about that... I thought there is a reason why this pipe is not "welded" (or one piece with cover) and why is able to be "thrown" out of place... maybe in case of too much pressure it get's thrown out (not really expert in mechanical things, just random thoughts)

I think you answered your question..

"Joint was corroded for sure, seems like they didn't change coolant for a while."

Straight water will corrode aluminum so the lack of maintenance would cause aluminum to "go away' / corrode causing leaks, and apparently loosen the grip on the nipple you've experienced..

Yes, seems like I will have a lot of fun with replacing parts every once and then...
Overall, how satisfied are you with fz6? Is there some common issues that I can fix upfront? Kinda tired of stalling and being without bike waiting for parts :/

Yes, seems like I will have a lot of fun with replacing parts every once and then...
Overall, how satisfied are you with fz6? Is there some common issues that I can fix upfront? Kinda tired of stalling and being without bike waiting for parts :/

It's my favorite bike ever..*been riding 50 years).

I bought mine wrecked(not bad) as a beater.
Once repaired I started modded it (after market mufflers, minor things).

I fell in love with it and sold my FJR, Goldwing and KLR250. So I'm down to one bike.

Lube the chain often, the clutch cable and just ride.. Oil change too of course..
It's the lowest maintenance bikes I've ever owned..

Seems like I just didn't have luck with my purchase then... I'm embarrassed even to show you what my water pump looks like... seems like they didn't change coolant for a decade... don't know what I can expect next (changed joint, changing water pump at the moment, probably radiator is next thing...)
P.S. your bike seems well maintained :)
Impeler GONE... wonder where it all went, hopefully it was dissolved into really tiny pieces which were cleaned when I was cleaning the system with water...
1716819623810.png

Back