What is this cover w/ Yamaha on it?!

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to join the FZ6 community by buying someone's bike. Owner claimed damage happened when it fell off the kickstand.

Which cowling is the one pictured with the damage? Left Mid? Upper?

Can anyone tell me what this cover protects? [CRANKCASE COVER] Any fluids behind it if removed? [OIL]

How much do you think it would cost to replace it? [See ronnies.com]

Last edited:

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
reiobard said:
that is the crank case cover, and the damage looks minimal, i would sand and repaint, but to replace it is $58 from Ronnies and the gasket is $6

Thanks! Any fluids that will leak once the crank case cover is removed?

If I sand/repaint, does yamaha sell spray paint for that color black?

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
It's powder coated... I have the PC that matches.

I'd do the powder coating, but just don't have an oven for it. Wife won't let car/bike parts in the kitchen :)

I'll live with the scratches. Otherwise, $70 to replace the eye sore isn't so bad. I'll probably take a sharpie to the scratches so it doesn't stick out as offensive.

blantonator

Reaction score
Visit site
i looked at that bike, up in sterling right? I figured the crank case was fixable, but the scratch on the fairing bothered me. There also seemed be some slight rust, probably from the guy living up in colorado. I figured I could find a nicer example.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i looked at that bike, up in sterling right? I figured the crank case was fixable, but the scratch on the fairing bothered me. There also seemed be some slight rust, probably from the guy living up in colorado. I figured I could find a nicer example.

Where was the rust? that looked like an '07.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pep Boys matte black hi heat paint for the crank case. I had to put down my bike one time in an accident, had more damage to it. Never had a leak, I sanded the surface and painted it matte black. Nobody really looks down there and the paint job came out very nice. Only if you really stare at it for some time you'll realize the difference in the two paint job. No biggie. The fairing, just buff it and matching touch up paint. Shouldn't cost too much. Save the money of replacing it for some other mods.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to join the FZ6 community by buying someone's bike. Owner claimed damage happened when it fell off the kickstand.

Which cowling is the one pictured with the damage? Left Mid? Upper?

Can anyone tell me what this cover protects? [CRANKCASE COVER] Any fluids behind it if removed? [OIL]

How much do you think it would cost to replace it? [See ronnies.com]

What damage?

Seriously, thats nothing. If it suits you buy the thing and ride it. If you still have it by winter time then think about fixing it like the other posters suggested. Start easy, start cheap. If you have money to burn and just can't stand it then go the expensive route later.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you replace it you will also need the gasket to go with the crankcase, they cost almost nothing so please do not try and use the old gasket if it comes off in one piece.

I dropped my bike on the left side and have the same marks. I am going to replace mine. I also broke the front fairing and have replaced it.

Get frame sliders on as soon as possible and it should prevent this happening if you drop it again.

Steve

Last edited: